1990 The Final Story

Remove this Banner Ad

SnakePlisskin

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Must see it people , my first tear was the first goal by Daicos , my second was Tony Shaw telling Darren Millane he loved him and my third was big Craig Nelly talking about his old man .
Powerful stuff , what affected you..

Absolutely brilliant TV. We were a very close side that year. It was a no secrets doco which was great. Some guys were very emotional. What affected me:
1. The story about Matthews/Brown/Daniher at 1/2 time. Matthews slamming Brown's head into the wire fence and screaming at TD that Brown is coming back to get you.
2. The haunting image of Millane holding the ball up after the siren.
3. Craig Kelly breaking down talking about hugging his old man after the game.
4. Banksy frantically driving around town trying to confirm Millane's death by breaking into Kelly's house to see if he was there. Clearly still affected by the loss of his mate to this day.
5. Half a dozen boys heading out on the p**s during the week off before the GF. Imagine that happening today.

I could go on but gee it was good stuff. Tears in my eyes by the end.

I loved it how close the whole group were and they loved each other. Loved the celebrations of the Pie fans one we won it. Almost got emotional when they spoke about Taylor missing out on the GF, that must have been real tough and also Alan Richardson as well.

I was surprised to hear Salman say kind words about us and Tony Shaw.

I was glad to hear Leigh Mathews say that his 10 years at Collingwood were one of his best years of his life.

I actually shed a tear or two watching this. Made me feel so proud of our football club. Some seriously inspiring stuff.

F**k!! I forgot all about it! I was at the damn supermarket, of all places. May have to shell out actual cash on the DVD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

like the other versions there will be several repeats.

it mentioned many things i had never heard about before.

it also reminded me of a number of things from the day, as far as footage from the celebrations at vic park etc.

as ive said before, it was such an emotionally draining day, ive long lost all recollections from the day. i never went to vic park that night simply out of total exhaustion. then slept thru sunday so missed that too. :(

motivates me to watch the 2nd semi tonight.

as ive said before, it was such an emotionally draining day, ive long lost all recollections from the day. i never went to vic park that night simply out of total exhaustion. then slept thru sunday so missed that too. :(
motivates me to watch the 2nd semi tonight.

Lightweight.:p

I was 11 and didn't sleep for two days, stayed at Vic Park till 1am the first night and was back there at 8am the next morning after a trip home.:D

Lightweight.:p

I was 11 and didn't sleep for two days, stayed at Vic Park till 1am the first night and was back there at 8am the next morning after a trip home.:D

shutup prick. i worked night shift that week, and recall having to get sweet with the other people in the queue cos i couldnt stay there overnight. they agreed to hold my spot cos i worked in the city and i would bring food & drinks with me for them during the night.

Brought back so many great memories. Loved Lethal's comment at the end that coaching Collingwood was one of the greatest pleasures of his life. I couldn't help but think of Mick and how critical we have all been of him. Premierships are so special and I think we all need to remember his contribution to our great club. The other thing that is still so clear was the death of Pants. I remember trying to explain it to my heart broken younger sister. Such a terrible waste.

Just watching it now, really admire the way Tim Watson talks about the club and our players. He shows a great deal of respect, unlike Salmon the dog who speaks with nothing but hatred.

Sheeds had a nice thing or two to say, too.

Though I'm a bit young to be fully nostalgic about this day, growing up I was shown the "Road to Victory" tape a lot by my Mum and it still is a significant event for me. And seeing it touched on from a fresh angle like this is really moving and great.

Edit: Salmon redeemed himself slightly with that little fable of congratulating Shaw when leaving the MCG, but still. Dog.

Absolutely brilliant TV. We were a very close side that year. It was a no secrets doco which was great. Some guys were very emotional. What affected me:
1. The story about Matthews/Brown/Daniher at 1/2 time. Matthews slamming Brown's head into the wire fence and screaming at TD that Brown is coming back to get you.
2. The haunting image of Millane holding the ball up after the siren.
3. Craig Kelly breaking down talking about hugging his old man after the game.
4. Banksy frantically driving around town trying to confirm Millane's death by breaking into Kelly's house to see if he was there. Clearly still affected by the loss of his mate to this day.
5. Half a dozen boys heading out on the p**s during the week off before the GF. Imagine that happening today.

I could go on but gee it was good stuff. Tears in my eyes by the end.
I caught the first 20 or so minutes of it leading up the the grand final. Looked the goods for what I did see. Lethal leigh still looked like a monster. I would have hated playing against him in his hay-day.

Just finished watching it. Great memories. 2010 was awesome but 1990 meant a s**t load more to me as a young bloke. After watching the debacles of 77,79, 80, 81....just can't find the words to describe the feeling when the siren went in 1990.
I guess the fact that my childhood hero Daicos got a flag also had something to do with it.

Must see it people , my first tear was the first goal by Daicos , my second was Tony Shaw telling Darren Millane he loved him and my third was big Craig Nelly talking about his old man .
Powerful stuff , what affected you..
wow! I'm checking my history, did I write this?!! felt exactly the same. not only a tear when Daic's kicked that first one but the hair on the back of my neck stuck out, and is doing so now!!

I was there that day and it was just a pinnacle day for me, even though I worked at the G, saw the whole game, celebrated with everyone around me. Given what happened to Millane, every time I see the video of him toss the ball up at final siren I feel an emotional rush.

God I loved that team, and that day. It's etched in my memory and thought that doco was fantastic in bringing back those memories, just brilliant!

Might watch it again tonight followed by the 2010 GF replay.
Sounds like a ripper night. Make sure the fridge is full & strap yourself in!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back