Review 1990: what a season!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there were about 3 or 4 games during the season where he had a poor day in front of goal, he should have been well over the 100 goals before the Collingwood game.

Yeah,the Swans game where we won by 90 but Horse kicked zip for one.

Yeah,the Swans game where we won by 90 but Horse kicked zip for one.
I thought it was 0.2?
The games I was thinking about were the 3 games where he kicked 3.4. I thought they were a little worse than that.

Round 16 vs Brisbane (MCG)

- David Dwyer, son of Laurie returns to the side for his only game of the season.
- Mark Hepburn play his 50th game.
- The Bears come to Melbourne and jump North with a 5.3 to 1.3 start.
- North then get in to gear and outscore the Bears 12.9 to 2.9 for the remainder of the game
- Capper goes down injured after kicking an early goal. He never plays for Brisbane again.
- Paul Bryce is again commanding at CHB with 25 disposals and 10 marks.
- Longmire returns 4.2 from limited opportunities.
- German, Schwass and Romero rack up the numbers.
- Liam Pickering goes down with a season ending injury.
- The next time North fans see Mark "The Fridge" Roberts, he is wearing a North jumper.

Round 17 vs Geelong (away)

- Dean McCrae returns to the side, along with skipper Matty Larkin who missed a week.
- North travel to Corio to play the 1989 grand finalist, who had comfortably accounted for th Roos earlier in the season by 5 goals.
- The game turns in to a shootout with a 12 goal 1st qyuarter, Geelong kicking 7 to Norths 5 to hold the lead.
- North turn the tables in the 2nd quarter kicking 8.1 to 4.2 to hold a 2 goal lead at the main break.
- North holds the 12 point lead at 3/4 after matching the cats that are kicking to the scoring end.
- In a dour grinding last quarter, North outscores Geelong 3 goals to 2 to run out 21 point victors.
- Mick Martyn holds Ablett to 4 marks and 4 goals.
- Jeff Chandler negates Paul Couch and get the umpires 3 votes.
- John Longmire is the driving force for North up forward kicking 7.3 from 8 marks.

IMO, it was not the Melbourne win, but this win that signaled that a great side was looming. Geelong had 63 more disposals, but by grit North had managed to shut them down and grind out a very mature win against a side with a combined 500 game experience advantage.

Is Matty Larkin the forgotten captain? I know he was I think only about 3-4 seasons by memory but is rarely spoken about. Though since I have never known a North supporter, maybe he is spoken about. Actually I never hear him spoken about, perhaps due to that reason.

I loved the guy and met him in the North lockers after our school went on a day excursion to Melb, I think to watch North vs Sookdogs in the late 80s or may of been around the time he was captain as I cant remember how old I was.

Round 18 vs Hawthorn (MCG)

- 44,627 people show up to see the captain of reigning premiers become only the 2nd player in history to reach 400 games.
- Ian Fairley plays his 100th game for North and Micky Martyn his 50th.
- Vice Captain Ben Buckley returns to the side after missing 7 matches.
- The Hawks get the jump and hold an 11 point lead at quarter time, the lead is extended to 20 by half time.
- The dour fighting footy produced against Geelong is again on show as the Hawks only increase their lead by a point in the 3rd quarter.
- North keep hammering away at the reigning premiers in the last quarter and they draw within 2 points thanks to a towering 60 metre goal from Scholl..
- Brereton sharks a late goal and Hawthorn win by 10.
- Skipper Matty Laerkin is arguably BOG with 5 goals.
- Chris Mew keeps Carey quiet and goalless and Langford keeps Longmire to 2 goals from 7 disposals and 0 marks.
- Paul Bryces hot streak has ended as he is handed a football lesson from Brereton. Dunstall kicks 4 on Martyn.

All of the North KPP have quiet nights in heavy conditions, whilst Brereton and Dunstall combine for 7, which was the defining difference. The young North side have given away more than 28 years and 1300 games of experience and scared the life out of the reigning premiers, the week after beating the 89 grand finalist on their home ground. The football world is starting to sit up and take notice.

Last edited:
My memories are fading, but I remember loving Andy Krakouers game, I would think his best game ever

He was good v Richmond in round 2.

Played his last AFL game in round 8 v StKilda.

Was cleaning out a whole of of crap yesterday and came across just one clipping, and happened to be 1990 coicindently. Unfortunately the rear side only had 3-4 games on it and we werent one of them. But on the other side, which is why I kept it as I was obsessing over Longmire at the time was this from 1990

longmire.jpg

Unnamed_QQ_Screenshot20180205142219.jpg

Was cleaning out a whole of of crap yesterday and came across just one clipping, and happened to be 1990 coicindently. Unfortunately the rear side only had 3-4 games on it and we werent one of them. But on the other side, which is why I kept it as I was obsessing over Longmire at the time was this from 1990

longmire.jpg

Unnamed_QQ_Screenshot20180205142219.jpg

Looks more like Ricky Nixon than the horse!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did see this when I was cleaning out stuff but didnt think it was 1990 when I thought about it when got into bed last night.

BTW I stuck two of McCarthy as I used to go to the oval and do McCarthy's instead of people that used to do Cappa's. So I was pretty obsessed with McCarthy at the time.

PmzfKUV.jpg

8StZUE2.jpg

03a8gFs.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back