1991 Captain Change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Arc1

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just curious - was looking at some history and noticed Paul Roos was removed as Captain for Osborne, but only for 1991? I know Osborne then left, but I thought he was still at the club in 1992 when Roos came back as Captain... does anyone recall what the reason was for the changes?

Arc1, I'm only going by what he said in Paul Roos, Beyond 300: An Autobiography, but Roos said he had a poor season in 1990 and "was looking forward to a complete break from the pressure of being Fitzroy's captain".
I think Roos was referring to a captaincy break in the off-season only, as he took off to the US in the summer of 1990-91 to see his girlfriend and now-wife Tami.
Evidently, while Roos was away there was talk of the Fitzroy hierarchy trading him to Collingwood.
Of course, that deal thankfully fell through, but Roos said that if the people running the club didn't want him as a player, he certainly didn't feel like he could captain Fitzroy in 1991.

Arc1, I'm only going by what he said in Paul Roos, Beyond 300: An Autobiography, but Roos said he had a poor season in 1990 and "was looking forward to a complete break from the pressure of being Fitzroy's captain".
I think Roos was referring to a captaincy break in the off-season only, as he took off to the US in the summer of 1990-91 to see his girlfriend and now-wife Tami.
Evidently, while Roos was away there was talk of the Fitzroy hierarchy trading him to Collingwood.
Of course, that deal thankfully fell through, but Roos said that if the people running the club didn't want him as a player, he certainly didn't feel like he could captain Fitzroy in 1991.

Thank you, appreciate the detail

Just curious - was looking at some history and noticed Paul Roos was removed as Captain for Osborne, but only for 1991? I know Osborne then left, but I thought he was still at the club in 1992 when Roos came back as Captain... does anyone recall what the reason was for the changes?

Osborne was at the club in 1992, left at the end of 92

Remove this Banner Ad

Back