Toast 1993 Pretenders no more

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the only time it's ever happened, and in 1993 we only played 20 games not the regular 22.

Probably a good thing too.

As enjoyable as the year was, by the end we were going like busted arseholes. We finished third, a game and 9% ahead of 7th - Geelong, who were flying home. Only three teams - Richmond, Swans and Bears - won less than half their games and we'd already played all of them twice (the amazing win against Essendon in Round 15 was the last time we beat anyone other than those 3). So the next two games would have been tough (in fact, in the days where the second half of the season just mirrored the first half, the next two games would have been Adelaide and Carlton - eventually 3rd and 2nd.)

Chances are, for all the excitement, high scoring and fun that season was, and still being on top with one game to play and finishing with the best percentage, had we played 22 games, there's a reasonable chance we'd have missed the finals.

As enjoyable as the year was, by the end we were going like busted arseholes. We finished third, a game and 9% ahead of 7th - Geelong, who were flying home. Only three teams - Richmond, Swans and Bears - won less than half their games and we'd already played all of them twice (the amazing win against Essendon in Round 15 was the last time we beat anyone other than those 3). So the next two games would have been tough (in fact, in the days where the second half of the season just mirrored the first half, the next two games would have been Adelaide and Carlton - eventually 3rd and 2nd.)

Chances are, for all the excitement, high scoring and fun that season was, and still being on top with one game to play and finishing with the best percentage, had we played 22 games, there's a reasonable chance we'd have missed the finals.
Adelaide were extremely poor away from Football Park, their only three away wins (before the upset against Hawthorn in the final) were against Richmond, Brisbane & Sydney, so I would think we would be a chance against them, even without Longmire who did his knee late in the game against Footscray.

Against Carlton, I think we would lose that one, we were struggling with injuries and suspensions late in the season, we had to play Ben Buckley in the final.

Adelaide were extremely poor away from Football Park, their only three away wins (before the upset against Hawthorn in the final) were against Richmond, Brisbane & Sydney, so I would think we would be a chance against them, even without Longmire who did his knee late in the game against Footscray.

Against Carlton, I think we would lose that one, we were struggling with injuries and suspensions late in the season, we had to play Ben Buckley in the final.

Also, even though we were cooked and were never going to win the flag, that year was the second year in a row where the team that came 3rd out of 15 had no double chance and were booted out in the first week. The Final Six system was balls - only 1st and 2nd got a double chance. Collingwood were even harder done by in '92. They'd only missed top spot on percentage, and played their final at 6th's home ground losing by 8 points. And this was the improved version from '91! Little wonder it didn't last very long.

Under the Final Five system we'd have played Carlton, probably have lost, and then had a go at home against Adelaide and might have made a fist of it. Under the Final Eight system as it was between 1994-99, we'd still have played West Coast, but again we'd get another go at home against the Crows the next week.

My recollection of the West Coast final was the disappointment of having had such a great year, feeling like we were one of the best sides in it, but then the suddenness of being eliminated on the first day of the finals. We deserved at least another game.

Half Baked Boo GIF

Here it is!

I apologize in advance for time you will all be wasting going through this great content.
Narration is nostalgic as f***!

Came back to this thread to post about this very video. Should've known a gun like you would already be all over it.

To channel Molly Meldrum - do yourself a favour.

It's easily the best "season that was" video for North including the premiership years and not because of the on-field aspect.

As tazaa said earlier, it covers the season in full from pre-Pagan to the finals. Denis basically provides a director's cut, speaking about his appointment and giving insights to each round, the players and finishes with some good insight into his strategy and direction for the club.

Pretty much all the other season summary videos were just cuts of highlights and the occasional news clip. This was the only one I recall with a key participant involved throughout.

Compulsory viewing for any North fan who hasn't watched it.

Great choice Tazaa.

In front of the Ted Whitten stand no less.

If there was a single moment where the young blokes under Pagan suddenly believed - it was that.

We grew a leg after that.
Just the look in Dougy’s eyes as if he was gonna kill someone and he ends up on the grass himself. I don’t even think Rocky felt him haha

My uncle has played, paused and rewind that bump so many times over the years that tape started to get fuzzy lol
Came back to this thread to post about this very video. Should've known a gun like you would already be all over it.

It's easily the best "season that was" video for North including the premiership years and not because of the on-field aspect.

As tazaa said earlier, it covers the season in full from pre-Pagan to the finals. Denis basically provides a director's cut, speaking about his appointment and giving insights to each round, the players and finishes with some good insight into his strategy and direction for the club.

Pretty much all the other season summary videos were just cuts of highlights and the occasional news clip. This was the only one I recall with a key participant involved throughout.

🙏🏼😍
I found it during lockdown KC.
Searching 90s vids and as soon as I saw the video I knew what it was.

I reckon it gave Denis the chance to come in with the broom and over the next 6 seasons if you didn’t perform it was see ya later, let’s find someone else. He set the scene for what we have seen develop across all Clubs this past 20 years. Everyone gets excited about the Draft, but only a dozen or so go on each year to have sustained successful careers.

Just the look in Dougy’s eyes as if he was gonna kill someone and he ends up on the grass himself. I don’t even think Rocky felt him haha

My uncle has played, paused and rewind that bump so many times over the years that tape started to get fuzzy lol

🙏🏼😍
I remember reading in Inside Football Magazine after that game that Dougy challenged Rocky to a stoush.
They must have interviewed him post game while he was still embarrassed

Seriously, McAdam, for just a brief couple of years was actually the true GOAT. As good as Carey was. McAdam was just terrific to watch when he was firing. That richmond game - sensational!

And my old mate Frank got a fair bit of air-time in Q2 and Q3...

1671662641441.png

🙏🏼😍

Believe it or not I saw it for the first time last week, up one night enjoying insomnia.

Seriously, McAdam, for just a brief couple of years was actually the true GOAT. As good as Carey was. McAdam was just terrific to watch when he was firing. That richmond game - sensational!

I'd hear the occasional disclaimer that he was "a cat" etc over the years. Watching him with fresh eyes (and I only ever saw his 1993 after the fact) he would be even more of a gun now. Could get the ball so many ways and kick goals so many ways and was elite at getting into position for "easy" goals.

As good as our 90s were when you compare to Hawks 80s, Geelong 00s+, Hawks 2008-15, Richmond 2010s - we didn't just come up 1 short - we were probably 2 short. 4 flags across 1993-2003 would've been appropriate recognition of our side.

If McAdam had stuck at it, the outcome could've been off the chart.

I remember reading in Inside Football Magazine after that game that Dougy challenged Rocky to a stoush.
They must have interviewed him post game while he was still embarrassed
The best is Rocky leaning over him afterwards telling him to get up you weak c***! 😍😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Believe it or not I saw it for the first time last week, up one night enjoying insomnia.

I'd hear the occasional disclaimer that he was "a cat" etc over the years. Watching him with fresh eyes (and I only ever saw his 1993 after the fact) he would be even more of a gun now. Could get the ball so many ways and kick goals so many ways and was elite at getting into position for "easy" goals.

As good as our 90s were when you compare to Hawks 80s, Geelong 00s+, Hawks 2008-15, Richmond 2010s - we didn't just come up 1 short - we were probably 2 short. 4 flags across 1993-2003 would've been appropriate recognition of our side.

As much as everyone hates him I’ve always thought if Nathan Buckley chose us instead of the wobblers we would have won in 94 and 98 and possibly 97 to go with our 96 and 99 premierships, and that team would go down history as one of the greatest ever.

Some other random players who caught the eye watching 1993.

Already knew it but Fridge was a really good but unusual player. Comparison might sound strange but reminded me of Goodes. Very mobile as a ruckman, could bizarrely transition the ball like a winger (despite having a dad-bod 3 decades ahead of schedule) and a dangerous 3rd or even pinch-hitting key forward.

Again no surprise but Horse was a gem too. I was aware of his wunkerkind status back then but really getting into it later into the 90s I was probably a bit harsh on his games. Probably from watching Carey, Ablett, Modra, Lockett, Dunstall all going around at that same time. Now with a much larger body of work to judge north forwards from - geeze he was good. Huge body, rarely outpositioned. Sublime set shot or snap shot. Outstanding forward craft particularly timing his leads. Excellent smart team player too, could be the main man or play foil for Carey/McAdam. His injury into finals robbed us of learning how far we could've gone in 1993. He was still a very good but underrated player (for me) in 1994-95 looking back. I wish our "lesser" key forward these days was kicking 6-7 goals a game here and there..

Can see why Pyman was sought after. Lots of skill. Still looks a prick though.

Dwyver looked handier than I'd recalled from seeing him circa 1995.

Was aware of Peter Mann being a loss but seeing him actually getting blooded in 1993 and looking good, big structural loss for the later 90s albeit we covered him very well in 1996.

Big Alex kicked more goals than I realised!

Archer was already a gun kid. Like a more versatile young Zurhaar. Again (broken record) watch early Archer games if you think he was just a really brave defender. Could've played 300 games as a forward too.

Already knew it but Fridge was a really good but unusual player.

Again no surprise but Horse was a gem too.

Big Alex kicked more goals than I realised!
We were really pissed when North recruited mark Roberts, thinking of him as a two club reject but he was a vital part of the 90s team. You summed him up pretty well - didn't look like an athlete but could play almost anywhere. Pagan often used him as a decoy to lure defenders out of the paddock but the reason this worked so well is that when the ball was kicked to him he was just as impactful as Carey, Horse and McKernan. Scholl was also used like that when he was shifted up forward and he too won games off his own boot. These guys were far more than bit-players and Pagan's game plan was perfect.

Horse spent plenty of games in defence, occasionally FB one week and FF the next. He also spent time in ruck as well as CHF and CHB. He was too good a forward to be used as spak-filler but that 90s team had a wealth of very capable and versatile players.

Alex was great - and a decent bloke to boot. If only he hadn't shanked that kick from the goal square against the bullflogs late in 1995.

Funny thing, I watched an interview from a few years back, I think it was with Wayne Schwas and he mentioned how slow the game looked back in the 90s.... Fair dinkum, in my opinion the game now looks like it's played in slow motion - sure there are great runners but ball movement back and forward, then back, sideways, back again and around is as boring as bat-shyt. Give me the direct roost up the guts, a big mark or a swift crumb off the pack and that's what I call footy!!!!

Here it is!

I apologize in advance for time you will all be wasting going through this great content.
Narration is nostalgic as f***!

that was brilliant to watch -i put the do not disturb sign up for 2 hours.
How the hell Carey didn't win the 93 Brownlow is beyond me

that was brilliant to watch -i put the do not disturb sign up for 2 hours.
How the hell Carey didn't win the 93 Brownlow is beyond me
I'm guessing Scwatta and Smith took some votes off him, but he wasn't the only one shafted that season, Horse didn't get a vote after kicking 9 against the Swans, instead they gave a vote to the Swan's Scott Waters (although his 33 disposal and 3 goal game probably warranted something) and Archer didn't get a vote against West Coast after kicking 5.

I'm guessing Scwatta and Smith took some votes off him, but he wasn't the only one shafted that season, Horse didn't get a vote after kicking 9 against the Swans, instead they gave a vote to the Swan's Scott Waters (although his 33 disposal and 3 goal game probably warranted something) and Archer didn't get a vote against West Coast after kicking 5.

It was also the season where Greg Williams got 44 touches in a win against Melbourne but failed to get a vote behind three teammates who had 44 between them. He lost out in the end by a vote.

It was an odd Brownlow year to say the least. The last where the winner got less than 20 votes. The last won by a non-midfielder.

That Rd 10 game v Collingwood at Victoria Park probably one of the best home and away wins i have ever seen, at a ground where victories were few and far between, right up there with Blighty's after the siren torp at Princes Park.
I remember leaving that s**t hole of a ground and there were fights everywhere it was bloody scary, I got a parking ticket and its still one of my best footy memories.

I remember leaving that s**t hole of a ground and there were fights everywhere it was bloody scary, I got a parking ticket and its still one of my best footy memories.

My favourite ever H&A win. Not many happy memories watching footy at Vic Park but this, our last ever game there was amazing. Umpires chose this game to crack down on Gayfer's defensive techniques, McAdam benefitted from 3 free kick goals in the first, and from there it was all our way. Schwatta was incredible. Can still hear the North Melbourne chant in the last quarter as Pies fans were filing out.

The first of three straight 1 v 2 matches - beating the Pies away, a 20 day break with the SOO and a bye, beating the Eagles away and narrowly losing to Hawthorn. We beat Geelong at Geelong, Footscray at Footscray, Eagles in Perth, both Grand Finallists on Friday nights, kicked our highest ever score against the Swans, only lost 2 games by more than three goals, sat on top for half the season...all from a mundane 1992 and calamitous pre-season.

Another guy that goes unheralded from the 90s side , that I think would kill it now is Fruity.
Was electric at times and timed the fall of the ball so perfectly

Another guy that goes unheralded from the 90s side , that I think would kill it now is Fruity.
There was a day Final v Cats a few years later where he had the ball on a string.
Fruity was a bloke whose voice never matched his physical appearance. Could play football though

I smile when he's never included in the discussions around the greatest mark ever.

I was at the MCG on the first level of the old Western Stand directly behind him when he took that mark against Collingwood.

I swear I looked up at him he was that high.

The existing footage doesn't do justice to it.

I smile when he's never included in the discussions around the greatest mark ever.

I was at the MCG on the first level of the old Western Stand directly behind him when he took that mark against Collingwood.

I swear I looked up at him he was that high.

The existing footage doesn't do justice to it.

Best pic was on that year's annual report iirc. Might have it somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back