Club History 1993 - the under appreciated players

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
The further little twist on that story is that Simon Madden was doing some part time ruck coaching at Carlton (having retired end of 1992) in 1993, I'm pretty sure.

Correct - Sheedy used Simon as an excuse for not telling Kickett he was out of the team...because Simon was floating around the clubrooms on the Thursday night.

I ran on in '93, had no intention was just down at the fence saluting the boys, when The Bomber next to me said " are you coming with me buddy" ? "You first" I replied, well over he went and got absolutely crunched, leaving a pathway for me to hop through.I'm pretty sure I jumped on O'Donell before being crunched myself.
Have a look, punt road end, lap if honour, sticks out like dogs balls once you know what you're looking for

You know I’ve seen that a hundred times, always thought it was one of their cheer squad who couldn’t hack seeing us win it, and it was you you cheeky sod! Nice one.

Correct - Sheedy used Simon as an excuse for not telling Kickett he was out of the team...because Simon was floating around the clubrooms on the Thursday night.
I know Simon is arguably our greatest living player and all...but what were we doing allowing him in our rooms two days before the grand final if he was actively involved with Carlton?

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
How good is Sandy Roberts commentating?!! Just adds to it, natural enthusiasm about what he is watching. Bugger the "everything sounds better with titanic music" thing...everything sounds better with Sandy Roberts commentating!!!

Ian Robertson was pretty bloody good too.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I know wally was suspected only to be in the side to knock a head or two but as much as it pains me to say it, we might not have even made the finals if it wasn't for him way back in the wce jacket wave game!

Butter fly wings and all that, but he took 2 marks in the last quarter, both one handers when man on man, the last one was the one on kicked to salmon for the final goal.

We lose to WCE in that game we are out of the 6 and struggling after losing to nth the week before.

in isolation I reckon the wce jacket wave game is the most important all year.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
I know wally was suspected only to be in the side to knock a head or two but as much as it pains me to say it, we might not have even made the finals if it wasn't for him way back in the wce jacket wave game!

Butter fly wings and all that, but he took 2 marks in the last quarter, both one handers when man on man, the last one was the one on kicked to salmon for the final goal.

We lose to WCE in that game we are out of the 6 and struggling after losing to nth the week before.

in isolation I reckon the wce jacket wave game is the most important all year.

Sheedy obviously recognised the importance of it.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Gary O'Donnell is perhaps one of our most underrated players EVER.

People talk about Watson and Madden and Daniher and Hird and so they should, but O'Donnell was pure class. A magnificent player for the EFC and someone I ALWAYS trusted when the ball was in his hands.

Funny, I used to watch the old bomber blitz video weekly, in various states of mind.

I don't think I ever once saw O'Donnell pump a fist or smile or jump for joy once.. in any clip. Every time without fail he'd kick a goal, turn and jog back to the centre with the same robotic look.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Funny, I used to watch the old bomber blitz video weekly, in various states of mind.

I don't think I ever once saw O'Donnell pump a fist or smile or jump for joy once.. in any clip. Every time without fail he'd kick a goal, turn and jog back to the centre with the same robotic look.

I think it may have had something to do with the fact he'd spent so much time in the reserves that he just knew how to get on with the job. 50 games or so before getting a look in.

Seeing him with the ball at the end of the 93 premiership is one of my favourite moments in football. He truly deserved that glory.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea

People talk about Watson and Madden and Daniher and Hird and so they should, but O'Donnell was pure class. A magnificent player for the EFC and someone I ALWAYS trusted when the ball was in his hands.
He was also a campaigner hair away from the norm smith.

You look at how we dismantled Carlton, and then how we dismantled Melbourne 7 years later and you really do have to wonder/lament about ho we couldn't jag another cup or two

You look at how we dismantled Carlton, and then how we dismantled Melbourne 7 years later and you really do have to wonder/lament about ho we couldn't jag another cup or two
Mosly because there were some other outstanding sides around, and some of our best players missed huge stretches with injury.

Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

Correct me if I'm wrong but he was a bombers supporter growing up wasn't he?? I think one of the articles I read in the days after this granny he talked about being out on the G having a kick after the '84 flag and how it was a dream come true to play in a flag for us.
He was in the votes from every expert in the next days papers. Very close to winning the NSM.

Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I ran on in '93, had no intention was just down at the fence saluting the boys, when The Bomber next to me said " are you coming with me buddy" ? "You first" I replied, well over he went and got absolutely crunched, leaving a pathway for me to hop through.I'm pretty sure I jumped on O'Donell before being crunched myself.
Have a look, punt road end, lap if honour, sticks out like dogs balls once you know what you're looking for
How quick did they do the victory lap back in those days...they would jog the lap and be off in 5 minutes. Now days it takes them an hour to do that lap of honour.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mosly because there were some other outstanding sides around, and some of our best players missed huge stretches with injury.
I was thinking about this the other day. I reckon our club had a horrendous run with injuries from about 94’ to the early 2010s.

It’s probably no coincidence it stopped once we moved to tulla

Back