Review 1996 Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Told this story before here. I rocked up to Lonsdale st. Myer at 8.55a.m. on the Monday after the pre-lim. Doors opened at 9.00 and l wandered up to the 4th floor Bass ticketing agency. Was 3rd in the queue. Told the lady l had 1 adult and 1 child m'ship but needed 2 adult tickets. She said " sure, no worries " Had 2 adult tickets by 9.10a.m.

Bit more difficult now of course.

Not possible, H2h. As some smart dude once said, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Anything short of launching a nuclear attack on West Lakes was entirely proportional IMHO.
What we needed was a sniper on Level 3 with the crosshairs trained firmly on one Darren Jarman. In fact, doing it now would at least give me some cold comfort

What we needed was a sniper on Level 3 with the crosshairs trained firmly on one Darren Jarman. In fact, doing it now would at least give me some cold comfort
No need to waste money on a sniper these days. Not the most challenging of targets ...
744925-jarman (1).jpg

I was 23, I'd become a North bandwagon supporter in October 77, so I'd spent almost my entire school and fledgling work life believing it was my destiny to never see North win the big one. What a bloody day.

The train from Jolimont to NM station afterwards was just unreal. The entire carriage singing the theme song over and over again (except for one old bloke in a Swans top asking us if we could do cheer cheer "just once").

Then the players being presented to the crowd and Corey saying "I'd like to see 'em take this one off me!"

Still one of the best days ever.

I was a Fitzroy supporter in mourning, but was happy for my close family friends who were passionate NMFC members. I could have moved over to this great club then, but it felt too soon. Like entering into a relationship with someone you met at your partner's funeral.
Luckily, the spark was still there almost a decade later when I was ready to support again. And here we are, me and North, still going strong almost 16 years later. Even have a couple of junior members.

I've been enjoying the videos the club have been putting up on the website with Stevens, Archer, Crocker and Fairley, legends of the NMFC who all played an important part on that magical day. Four of our greatest Shinboners.

Haven't read through yet but this is the best concept for a new thread in years.

This entire board needs to go to Peru and do an Ayahuascha ceremony where all we do is psychically wander around 1996.
You can make it out of stuff in Australia mate. In fact it was 1996 when I learned how to make it, well how to make something like it anyway.

The following story is almost 100% true.

I watched the game from a now non existant lounge room in the middle of nowhere with a little jade buddha I'd given to Wayne Carey (for a few minutes) on plane flight at the start of the year. This buddha was pretty cool. I lost it at a doof once (gave it to a girl having a bad trip to ground herself) she lost it and when we got home it was on the mantle piece in the lounge room. Anyway gave it to Duck and said "Look into this and think about winning the flag this year." He stared into with an insanely intense stare for about 10 minutes. You could almost see lines coming out of his eyes he looked so intense. He was completely trancing out on it and I reckon he forgot where he was for a few minutes.

It got to the point where i thought (but didn't say) "Yeah mate I didn't say you could keep it." And at that moment he snapped out of it, shook his head gave the little buddha back and said thanks. *en weird as. I can't remember if our flight was sposed to stop in Sydney or not (I don't think it was for some reason) but it did, the aisle seat next to me was free (might have been the only seat left,) and the plane stopped and Sydney and Duck was the only passenger I saw get on.

I was weirdly confident all year after that but didn't get it together enough to plan to go back to Melbourne for the game. So anyway i was watching the game with the buddha and it wasn't looking good. I picked it up and said "You better tell him to do something cos he's barely won a contest" and looked up to see Kelly * it up allowing Mick Martin to kick it long to John Blakey on the edge of the centre square. Long to Carey, who got his face raked but still managed to beat a few Swans players and knock the ball into Glenn Freeborn's path. From that moment on I knew were home and really enjoyed watching the game. I still remember the play. Forgot it was Mick then Blakey involved tho. There was just something about the way Kelly ****ed that kick up ... the ball turned over, went up the other end and the Captain beat three defenders to tap the ball into the path of a guy who kicked that goal and a couple more in the next 10 minutes. Complete turning point and if Kelly had hit Plugger with that pass then who knows how that game ends.

Take note Damo - this is a real sliding doors moment:

If...

Kelly hits Plugger with that pass

Then...

The ball doesn't go down the other end, we don't goal and Freeborn doesn't write his name into NMFC immortality.

Some classic stuff in that.

Alison would be a tough enforcer by today's standards. :)

Funny to see how much in the way runners were as well. Also funny seeing Paul Roos get squat. Can't stand him. Also nice seeing players not need a written permission slip to track their opponent once they run off their line. Some AFL rules of the last 2 decades have done nothing but reduce the enjoyment and natural flow of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't tell my wife but the greatest day of my life for sure haha. Slept for awhile in the early hours roughly on the half forward flank at Arden St. So lucky to be mid 20's when that happened.

Was in the old Northern stand row g, started crying when Mark Roberts kicked that goal on the run in the last quarter. Went to the next two though try not to think about the year before 99. Oddly have never re watched 99, watched 96 a gazillion times.

That 5 or so minutes prior to half time is close to my favourite period of any game any time.

Sigh...........
That roar when Allison buries one just before half time. Chills.

Man such great memories. I was 9 at the time. Some observations from watching the highlights:
  • North hit the ball and man hard. The forward pressure and swarming of chaos balls into the 50 is not too disimilar to modern day I50 pressure.
  • Sydney's body language said it all even when they were only 8 points down. Even the commentators had kind of given up on Sydney.
  • Carey kicked one goal but created 5 other goals where he made the last play before the goalkicker eventually kicks the goal.
  • McKernan was BEAST mode. He basically willed into existence Freeborn's 3rd goal. He thumps the ball forward at the centre bounce, then sprints forward to almost receive his own hitout, eventually thumps the ball forward again with an underhand spike (lol), and the rest is history. What a freak player.
  • North were super sloppy to start the game, must have been nerves? Sydney's first three goals were from free kicks.
  • Poetic stuff with Simpson, one of the youngest players on the ground, and future club legend, kicking the second last goal, and then Fairley, the oldest player on the ground, and past club legend, kicking the last goal of the game.

10 years....absolutely.

20 years....yeah ok.

25?

It's good to reminisce over the better times...particularly in these times but I've never really known 25 years to be an anniversary number of relevance.

I think we're scraping the bottom of the jar with this.

I did watch some the highlights of the 96 GF. And even though footy back then is vastly different to what it is now......it's clear just how good that team was. Genuinely had good players all over the ground and Carey to kick it to.

I got my ticket at of all places Warrnambool being 10th in line.

Sat at the top of Sth Stand and despite being by myself had the time of my life. Didn’t know any North Members at the time but over the years I now do and I reckon we are in for an epic weekend when we get back there.

Memories…

Balloon man going limp pre game

Anxiety attack half way through second quarter

Waiting for Carey to go beserk and not and still winning

The final siren and total relief.That relief of winning was what made this special.

10 years....absolutely.

20 years....yeah ok.

25?

It's good to reminisce over the better times...particularly in these times but I've never really known 25 years to be an anniversary number of relevance.

I did watch some the highlights of the 96 GF. And even though footy back then is vastly different to what it is now......it's clear just how good that team was. Genuinely had good players all over the ground and Carey to kick it to.
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I was a Fitzroy supporter in mourning, but was happy for my close family friends who were passionate NMFC members. I could have moved over to this great club then, but it felt too soon. Like entering into a relationship with someone you met at your partner's funeral.
Luckily, the spark was still there almost a decade later when I was ready to support again. And here we are, me and North, still going strong almost 16 years later. Even have a couple of junior members.
Great back story mate, I’m rapt you picked us 👍

10 years....absolutely.

20 years....yeah ok.

25?

Maybe because it was the centenary GF this one is being celebrated in 25th years instead?..

Maybe because it was the centenary GF this one is being celebrated in 25th years instead?..
Nothing wrong with a quarter century celebration. Maybe we should have had a party for its 18th or 21st instead and watched the young folks get liquored up and make gooses of themselves. Uncle Twinkletoes busting out some weird moves on the dance floor and all that

Nothing wrong with a quarter century celebration. Maybe we should have had a party for its 18th or 21st instead and watched the young folks get liquored up and make gooses of themselves. Uncle Twinkletoes busting out some weird moves on the dance floor and all that
Yeah totally agree, but ol’ uncle ‘happy’ Dan wouldn’t.. bloody grumpy bum..

I wish I could give this post an extra like for the correct use of the term "gooses".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back