Review 1996 Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Him not being there yesterday (club says he was unwell) certainly adds fuel to a fire whether its true or not unfortunately. Just another excuse to North bash. It drives me mad.
I don't think there seems much doubt that a confrontation happened. Just what else - verbal or physical. Really don't need this crap right now. Nine news ran all the old footage from the time as lead story.

I don't think there seems much doubt that a confrontation happened. Just what else - verbal or physical. Really don't need this crap right now. Nine news ran all the old footage from the time as lead story.
I agree a confrontation happened but Carey saying (on Ch7) they sorted it out and continued on with their night is sort of null and void with Stevo not going yesterday is more what I was getting at. We certainly don't need this crap but the media will take any opportunity to pile on us. Of course they did. At least Tom Browne quoted Carey and the club which is a nice change for him.

I agree a confrontation happened but Carey saying (on Ch7) they sorted it out and continued on with their night is sort of null and void with Stevo not going yesterday is more what I was getting at. We certainly don't need this crap but the media will take any opportunity to pile on us. Of course they did. At least Tom Browne quoted Carey and the club which is a nice change for him.
Helps that Tom and Wayne are colleagues at MMM and 7.

Helps that Tom and Wayne are colleagues at MMM and 7.
I did think of that but he at least he is quoting one of the parties involved not just rehashing footage from the past. He also quoted the club.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I met Carey at a pub back in 2017.

I was actually a bit nervous to approach because he’d obviously been drinking and it was late, but I couldn’t possibly pass up the opportunity.

I was honestly taken aback by how polite he was. He didn’t hesitate to jump in a photo and have a chat. It was one of the more pleasant experiences I’ve ever had with someone of that stature.

I don’t condone what he’s done in the past, but I’ll take a person on face value and I walked away with nothing but positive things to say about that encounter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually a bit nervous to approach because he’d obviously been drinking and it was late, but I couldn’t possibly pass up the opportunity.

I was honestly taken aback by how polite he was. He didn’t hesitate to jump in a photo and have a chat. It was one of the more pleasant experiences I’ve ever had with someone of that stature.

I don’t condone what he’s done in the past, but I’ll take a person on face value and I walked away with nothing but positive things to say about that encounter.

Case closed

Might be slightly different weight classes in that one brother.
My memory of Carey's game against us for Adelaide is Stevo lining him up only to bounce off him.

And if you believe the reports at the time Carey turned to him and said "What's your problem? I made you famous"

I spoke with Duck at a sponsors event earlier this year and how you described him is how he is. Duck knows he’s still a hero to many and has allowed himself to be accepted by the fans, not placing himself above them. He has mellowed out significantly. He’s 51 ffs

This s**t is always going to be there in the background between he and Stevo but that’s on them. The thing is this latest event has nothing to do with them and is more about the club and helping North.

My memory of Carey's game against us for Adelaide is Stevo lining him up only to bounce off him.

And if you believe the reports at the time Carey turned to him and said "What's your problem? I made you famous"
If he did say that it would've out of character and in the heat of battle. I seriously don't think that's how he sees things.

Not saying he's never done some ordinary things but have enough leads that he's not the self-absorbed w***er he's made out to be in parts.

Alright back to more pleasant memories.
I had to confirm with a very good mate of mine who I attended the season, and ultimately the Grand Final with back in '96.
We started the GF with the lining up in shifts outside the MCG at some ungodly hours of the night with many familiar faces around us that we'd recognised during the season.
Got to the game early to soak up the atmosphere, win or loss, it was going to be a big day, the first time in person seeing my beloved North Melbourne in a Grand Final. For those yet to do it, it goes without saying the day is special.
A very nervous start to the game and things didn't look great early on but we clawed our way back and at the final siren I was out of my seat so fast and my arms that high I could have touched the sky. High fives and hugs all around, singing we are the champions and the theme song.
A slow exit from ground with the biggest grin to go and get changed and my mates office so we could attend the GF dinner at the tennis centre.
That night was fantastic, although I couldn't tell you a thing about the food, all the players in attendance and you just celebrated with them, I actually got tired of carrying the gold cup around that night and ended up palming it back off to Cappy and sitting on the stage with him reliving the game staring at the cup as the evening wound down.
Got poured into a cab and headed back to a friends place, Phil (some very old members may know of Phil and Spud) and spent the night there with a breakfast of bacon and eggs swimming in oil before heading off to the North social club. The rest of the day is a complete blur.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back