Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez Jarman loves beating himself up.
Reckons he cost the crows a GF in 93 because he missed a goal in the THIRD quarter that would have put them 17 points up! LoL, its ok champ, plenty of footy played out after that.

... and then, most of all IMO, Lazar Vidovic and Everitt being ruled out (Rehn had a field day), Loewe having a family emergency on the morning of the GF and Nicky Winmar being knocked out of orbit by his father's death. Don't get me wrong - great win and I'm glad Blight got a flag - but StKilda's luck all ran out at once.

We lost Modra and Roo.

Hardly ever saw Scott Wynd beaten in 10 years but Rehn smashed him in that PF. He was a brilliant ruckman - 3 years out with a knee reco and they finish 12th or worse, 2 years playing and they go back to back.
I agree with that - he was just such a mobile monster. Another few years injury-free and he'd be up there with Cox in the "of the modern era" discussions.

for all the luck we got in 97 & 98 we have been punished the last 19 years with horrible luck on and off the field.
Bock, Davis, Gunston, the Kurt Tippett sanction (admittedly a bit self-inflicted but hey the AFL likes to make this things as they go), and of course some bloke from Moggs Creek. It's a fair list.

No Jarman in that prelim and we lose. No Rehn and we don't get near the flag. Hodge/Dew 2008, Chapman 2009, Goddard 2010, Hawkins 2011, Hannebery 2012, Boyd 2016. Yeah it's a team sport, but it only takes one individual to play out of their skin to change history. I think the Crouches will do the dirty work, but if its a close game, we need a Lynch, Douglas or Betts type with x factor to pull a huge game. Pyke could send a wildcard forward, he's been playing over half the team in different positions.

One of these doesn't belong.

If only Mr Index Finger didnt take that mark and kick the goal, Saints would have scraped home.

******* Umpires.

I'm 15 minutes in and so far it's about as objective as Sunny Abberton's Bra Boys documentary. Team starts up with no footys, no jumpers, no ground, they smash Hawthorn in Round 1 of 1991 and all of a sudden, it's season 1992. Apparently nothing else happened for 12 months in the club's first season in the league.

The 'let's play the number 1 hit from that month of that year' soundtrack was an awful idea too...way too distracting. But with all that said, any sports documentary like this and I'm in. They could make so many Australian sport documentaries like the ESPN 30 for 30 series from this era and I'd never get tired of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 15 minutes in and so far it's about as objective as Sunny Abberton's Bra Boys documentary. Team starts up with no footys, no jumpers, no ground, they smash Hawthorn in Round 1 of 1991 and all of a sudden, it's season 1992. Apparently nothing else happened for 12 months in the club's first season in the league.

well the doco is called 1997 -

Respectfully disagree - I'm more of a 2016 man myself ;)

Hardly ever saw Scott Wynd beaten in 10 years but Rehn smashed him in that PF. He was a brilliant ruckman - 3 years out with a knee reco and they finish 12th or worse, 2 years playing and they go back to back.

He was even better before the knee injuries. Gun

Yes it is Crows propaganda, just like the Victorian team propaganda disseminated in the 'national' footy media every day.

OK, mate.

This is the era when I started getting into the AFL and Adelaide was pretty much a complete joke from the 1993 PF until 1997. They won a combined 5 games from 33 away starts between 1994-96. And to go from that to winning the premiership the following year, beating the three teams that finished above them, including two of them at the MCG, well as far as I'm concerned that's as remarkable as any aspect of the Crows' 1997-98 premierships. And to completely overlook that period of struggle, was an incredible oversight, as far as I'm concerned.

The chip on some of these Crow shoulders is amazing.

Adelaide Crows doco on now fox footy. Bloody good watch. Memories where you have the likes of Rehn, Modra, Jarman, Smart, McLeod, Bickley running amok.

Thinking the crows will do the deed again 20 years later. Can see Betts winning the norm smith. I smell a Crow in the air.

The old reverse trick, love it.

Bock, Davis, Gunston, the Kurt Tippett sanction (admittedly a bit self-inflicted but hey the AFL likes to make this things as they go), and of course some bloke from Moggs Creek. It's a fair list.
D Jarman from Hawthorn wasn't a bad get.

Haven't watched the doco, and A Jarman does talk alot of s**t

but absolutely cost us big time - he missed from 8 metres out
Was more like 20 actually. He can't take the blame for crows not winning though. Momentum breaker? Maybe. But when you let them get within 11 after being up 7 goals that speaks for itself.

OK, mate.

This is the era when I started getting into the AFL and Adelaide was pretty much a complete joke from the 1993 PF until 1997. They won a combined 5 games from 33 away starts between 1994-96. And to go from that to winning the premiership the following year, beating the three teams that finished above them, including two of them at the MCG, well as far as I'm concerned that's as remarkable as any aspect of the Crows' 1997-98 premierships. And to completely overlook that period of struggle, was an incredible oversight, as far as I'm concerned.

The chip on some of these Crow shoulders is amazing.
Telling a compelling story in one hour is hard, so they inevitably have to omit things, even important things. It's a documentary about a premiership. It doesn't need a detailed breakdown of how s**t we were away from home, to create a better sense of completeness for people sitting on their couches in Geelong.

The 'let's play the number 1 hit from that month of that year' soundtrack was an awful idea too...way too distracting. But with all that said, any sports documentary like this and I'm in. They could make so many Australian sport documentaries like the ESPN 30 for 30 series from this era and I'd never get tired of them.
To do a 30for30, they'd need to stop the PR machine, and actually have candid interviews, acknowledging that it isn't always sunshine and roses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back