Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Telling a compelling story in one hour is hard, so they inevitably have to omit things, even important things. It's a documentary about a premiership. It doesn't need a detailed breakdown of how s**t we were away from home, to create a better sense of completeness for people sitting on their couches in Geelong.

Where I live and the club I support has nothing to do with this thread. Taking potshots to close out an otherwise reasonable post suggests that you're not interested in a mature discussion, in which case you might prefer to discuss the documentary on the Adelaide board, where you're not as likely to get the opinions of opposition supporters.

I actually checked as I was watching after the other poster's response to my original post was that it was meant to be about 1997. The documentary finally gets to 1997 33 minutes in. If they were so strapped for time, why not just start there? Personally, I would have made it 60 minutes plus commercials (rather than 60 including commercials) and given a brief summary of each year, from 1991-96, which would have maybe taken up 10 minutes.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well you were up by two goals at half time and Darren Jarman kicked 5 goals in the last quarter. I think it's fair to say you didnt capitalise on your lead at the start of the third quarter. Might have been a good move to pay more attention to Jarman?
Might have been. If I was playing.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Scott Hodges. Gun forward. 11 goals vs us in 92 just remembered lol. We got spanked that day. Think it was by 91 points. Footy Park was a tough venue even in the first two seasons they played there. 93 they exploded and as mentioned didn't regroup and make it a fortress again until 97-98.Caned Richmond by 137 points in 97, lost to them the next there lol. Held the eagles to 4 goals in 97 on a friday night.

I remember in 98 when they beat an average Lions side by 8 goals in a night game. For whatever reason, I thought these campaigners are going b2b. Just knew they could and would turn the screws when it mattered.

I wish I watched more Adelaide games in full in the 90's. Saw a lot of highlights, but not full games.

A lot of quality names. One that doesn't get mentioned much looking back is Matt Connell.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
A lot of quality names. One that doesn't get mentioned much looking back is Matt Connell.

B&F in his first season 1995 after coming from West Coast -

Matt Connell makes me think of two things only - kicking the ball 40 metres high and 40 metres long, and running back with the flight of the ball to get crunched by Wayne Carey

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hope they make a 1998 doco.

5 games on the road to win a back to back premiership.
Not sure if that will ever happen again.

We played 6 games away in a row in 1990 without even making the GF. Rds 21/22, QF, QF replay, SF, PF. Would be a fabled success story if we won more than 1 of 4 finals. :p

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Junk time goals we were F***** after half time. Adelaide were always going to win.
Bullshit. He ripped the game to shreds as he did you. He *en maimed you and was the difference. To say they were junk time is a discredit to JArman.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
[QUOTE="MC Extra Dollop, post: 52581254, member: 29594"The documentary finally gets to 1997 33 minutes in. If they were so strapped for time, why not just start there? Personally, I would have made it 60 minutes plus commercials (rather than 60 including commercials) and given a brief summary of each year, from 1991-96, which would have maybe taken up 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I think they got it about right. It needed to have the back story for context. You needed to know who McDermott, McGuiness and A Jarman were to know it was a big deal when they were sacked. You needed to know about the 93 prelim from the perspective of the young guys who played that day and formed the core of the side in 97. You needed to know Rehn did his knee in 94 and 95 to understand the what impact it had when he threw off his knee brace at half time in the 97 prelim. They might have spent more time on the Shaw years if he agreed to participate but in his time the only relevance is the young players he brought in who became premiership players under a better coach.

I would have liked to have heard from Shane Ellen and Simon Goodwin, maybe Neil Craig as well. I would have liked them to use some radio commentary, like other documentaries have done to great effect. But maybe they didn't have the time or budget for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tap Tap Tapperoo

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Some of my great early footy memories were watching Darren Jarman play.

Players like him and Peter Matera made me follow footy.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Adelaide Crows doco on now fox footy. Bloody good watch. Memories where you have the likes of Rehn, Modra, Jarman, Smart, McLeod, Bickley running amok.

Thinking the crows will do the deed again 20 years later. Can see Betts winning the norm smith. I smell a Crow in the air.

Used to love watching the Crows in the 90s had some great players and players new to Victorian fans. Went sour on them during the Crow-bot Neil Craig era but back on board now.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
And in the following year 1998 the same team finished fifth and again went on to become premiers ... even though apparently the Bulldogs last year were said to be the first team of a final 8 to win the flag from outside the top 4. Not sure how that is supposed to work exactly.

Different finals system. Crows lost first final in 98 and had a double chance due to the stupid top 8 finals system they had in place.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
... and then, most of all IMO, Lazar Vidovic and Everitt being ruled out (Rehn had a field day), Loewe having a family emergency on the morning of the GF and Nicky Winmar being knocked out of orbit by his father's death. Don't get me wrong - great win and I'm glad Blight got a flag - but StKilda's luck all ran out at once.

Supports my assertion that St Kilda truly are cursed. After learning this I'm actually semi serious..

Sep 17, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
Different finals system. Crows lost first final in 98 and had a double chance due to the stupid top 8 finals system they had in place.

Wasn't stupid, just different in the first week (subsequent weeks were the same as now). Yes the Crows finished fifth and lost in the first week of 98 and weren't eliminated, but they did have to play against the fourth team away rather than the eighth team at home as would be the case for the fifth ranked side in today's system.

Seems to be a fair enough trade off: a harder opponent and an away game but not necessarily an elimination final in 1998 versus an easier opponent and a home game but definite elimination if you lose today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back