News 19th AFL Team Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I am in favour of shutting down the Suns and Giants for good over expanding again... 45 more VFL players into the league I guess..
Won’t happen unfortunately. AFL will keep sinking money into these waste of time teams.

North should have been sent to Tassie years ago. They couldn't do any worse than they are now anyway and with the assistance of a whole state of footy loving Taswiegians behind them they'd have their best chance of football success since Aylett brought in the 10 year rule!

Agree that they’re nebulous concepts, which was kinda my point

Hah, you do know that La Sagrada Familia has been in the construction phase (and continues to be) for longer than the Collingwood Football Club has existed?

And as for the Sydney Opera House, the SSO and OA are hardly finite costs.

Sure. The AFL were up front that Suns and Giants would always be 20 year projects. They’re half way through that, I’d imagine the AFL would have hoped that they would have been further progressed, but as we saw with the relocation of the South Melbourne Swans, these things do take time.

Yeah, dunno. I’d be surprised if you couldn’t fudge the ‘assumptions’ to justify any outcome.

Of course I had no idea about a church still under construction. I am just as baffled as to the thought process that got you to linking that with a footy club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Won’t happen unfortunately. AFL will keep sinking money into these waste of time teams.
I'm sorry people but EVERY expansion team is a waste of money.

LOOK at . . .

The human resources

The moral cost

The desecration and dissolution of our sport and passion.

---------------------------------------------------------

18 teams is FAR, FAR, FAR too many teams.

There's a strong argument that even 12 is too many now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

36 players X 18 licenses = 658 players . . . . 658.

If any of you imagine there are even 500 A level players rising every year then I have some prime coastal land I would love to let you have for a steal . . . . it only floods 3 times a year . . . for now . . .

The overall talent pool is thinning whether you want to believe it or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The sport is now governed and run for profit

Not for the fans

Not for the clubs

Not even for the AFL

But for the corporates and bookies who in fact own the competition.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is no pure sport in the way the competition is governed - not run - but GOVERNED.

All teams are staked to a giant treadmill called the premiership cycle and forced to crash down the ladder despite every tenet of logic and justice, incompetence is rewarded and expansion teams constantly pushed up.

We now have a sport that has been reduced to an 'entertainment' and like that other great 'entertainment' - the colosseum - it's empty, pointless and very, very profitable.

EDIT.

Ahhh kappa dear boy . . . always so needy . . . get a life . . . and a clue.

We have paid a terrible price for this expansion and it won't end here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no interest whatsoever in discussing this post so don't even bother.

Last edited:
Why not just start small and add a Tasmanian team to the VFL? The competition already has a number of interstate teams not affiliated with an AFL team.
If the Tasmanian people get behind it, it adds weight to the argument to put a team in the AFL. If the attendance numbers are low, there is little state backing or the sponsors don't come, then it might be safe to say that it is not going to be viable.
Tassie had one. Not many people attended. I used to go occassionally, to crowds of a few thousand. A VFL team will never reflect the interest in an AFL team, but the numbers attending in Tassie will never be that great relatively.
You would think relocating a team cough North Melbourne cough, would make more sense and be a more viable option.
Tassie doesn't want North. My experience is the Hawks are popular down here, Saints to a lesser extent. Beyond that the only consistency is a hatred of the pies.

I like 76's idea of cultural value. I'd love to see an NT and Tassie team. That said, Tassie has spend a lot of money on repetitive bids to get a team down here, I am sure every avenue has been explored. Jonbe54 is on the money IMO.

I do a lot of work in the demographics field.... I agree, it is unlikely (based on demographic assumptions) Tasie even within 20 years would have a sufficient population base to be 'commercially viable' for an AFL team.

But, things change, core assumptions are modified - but I strongly doubt significant changes to inter-state and overseas migration to Tasie will result over the coming decades.
If Geelong can manage so can Tassie. It’s a no brainer, they deserve a team. Question is folds…North couldn’t have bottomed out at a worse time.

North should have been sent to Tassie years ago. They couldn't do any worse than they are now anyway and with the assistance of a whole state of footy loving Taswiegians behind them they'd have their best chance of football success since Aylett brought in the 10 year rule!
Such an easy transition, they can still play the majority of their away games in Melbourne

Of course I had no idea about a church still under construction. I am just as baffled as to the thought process that got you to linking that with a footy club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Culture.

Take a bunch of folks who spend their days sheering sheep and sending the fleeces to the old world. Or digging up dirt and sending it China. Or growing wheat and shipping it around the world.

All they do during their days is sheer sheep, dig dirt, and pick wheat. The money is good, but they’ve got nothing to spend it on. It’s a friggen’ miserable life. It’s struggle to even be bothered to procreate.

What value do you think such folks would put on being able to watch two teams chase a pigskin around a paddock? Or watching horses run around in circles? Or to listen to song? Or pray to a god on Sundays? Or to watch men and women in tights dance to the music of a 19th century Russian composer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which goes to my first point, surely if anything can survive in Geelong a State can manage a team…
Geelong has a greater population than Hobart. Geelong football club historically captures the Geelong region, western district and is a country team so captures a higher proportion of country folk(historically).

Geelong has a strong population growth rate, high internal population migration turnover and a long history.. generational supporters.

Be a long slog for a tasie team to achieve this supporter base.

Don’t get me wrong I love the romantic idea of nt and tasie having their own team

Tassie had one. Not many people attended. I used to go occassionally, to crowds of a few thousand. A VFL team will never reflect the interest in an AFL team, but the numbers attending in Tassie will never be that great relatively.

Tassie doesn't want North. My experience is the Hawks are popular down here, Saints to a lesser extent. Beyond that the only consistency is a hatred of the pies.

I like 76's idea of cultural value. I'd love to see an NT and Tassie team. That said, Tassie has spend a lot of money on repetitive bids to get a team down here, I am sure every avenue has been explored. Jonbe54 is on the money IMO.
You're bang on with this.

If you live in Launceston, Hawthorn if your second team or you have a memory of Hawthorn. Primary or high school clinic, first game, first signature of a player, meeting people, half your class barracking for them. And Saints are very popular, generally with boomers.

A hatred of the Pies, sort of, although, they are well-supported with 0 good membership options beyond the $65 donation.

Tassie deserves its own team as people will go. There is no other sport for most of the winter and if you have Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton, etc visiting each year, fans will turn up and go to associated events. People queued for tickets in 2015 to watch Collingwood play (massive line as well that stretched down the street. Only Harry Potter has seen more people lineup for something in Launceston, at least).

Geelong has a greater population than Hobart. Geelong football club historically captures the Geelong region, western district and is a country team so captures a higher proportion of country folk(historically).

Geelong has a strong population growth rate, high internal population migration turnover and a long history.. generational supporters.

Don’t get me wrong I love the romantic idea of nt and tasie having their own team
But Launceston, Devonport and the other regions will support the team. Tasmania is not like Victoria. Hobart these days is still a longer journey but people will travel. If there's a game in Launceston, people come from all over.

30000 fans would happily support the team as a second or primary club. Crowd numbers are so low as no-one wants to watch Hawthorn flog [insert a bad team, more recent, Gold Coast] by 50 points for the cost of a ticket. You'd get it. JackJumpers are now so common. Every knows Josh Adams et al. Well, not everyone but you get what I mean.

Re: Giants. Nah, they’ll be OK. It took around 20 years for folks to start taking a real interest in the Swans here in Sydney. Now 40+ years on they’re strongly embedded into the fabric of society. The AFL said right from the beginning that the Giants would be a 20 year project. That’s because that’s roughly how long it takes for a kid whose chosen to barrack for them to become independent and spend they own money going to the footy. Already today you’re seeing a lot more Giants artefacts around (caps, framed jumpers, people wearing giants tops) than you would have 3 years ago. The thing to consider about sport here in Sydney is that it’s a class thing. If you follow the AFL / Swans then you’re identifying with a particular demographic. The Giants are defining something for themselves. (kinda like Freo and Port are doing being the 2nd club in their respective cities)

Re: Suns. Dunno. I always imagined that they would have gone after the away crowds (southerners flying North for holidays in the winter months), but not sure that that’s become much of a thing, although Covid obviously put that idea on hold. TBH, I never understood why teams struggled on the Gold Coast. I know there’s an older permanent demographic there, but what about the hinterland areas?

Tasmanians want their own team. Not a hand me down

Re: Giants. Nah, they’ll be OK. It took around 20 years for folks to start taking a real interest in the Swans here in Sydney. Now 40+ years on they’re strongly embedded into the fabric of society. The AFL said right from the beginning that the Giants would be a 20 year project. That’s because that’s roughly how long it takes for a kid whose chosen to barrack for them to become independent and spend they own money going to the footy. Already today you’re seeing a lot more Giants artefacts around (caps, framed jumpers, people wearing giants tops) than you would have 3 years ago. The thing to consider about sport here in Sydney is that it’s a class thing. If you follow the AFL / Swans then you’re identifying with a particular demographic. The Giants are defining something for themselves. (kinda like Freo and Port are doing being the 2nd club in their respective cities)

Re: Suns. Dunno. I always imagined that they would have gone after the away crowds (southerners flying North for holidays in the winter months), but not sure that that’s become much of a thing, although Covid obviously put that idea on hold. TBH, I never understood why teams struggled on the Gold Coast. I know there’s an older permanent demographic there, but what about the hinterland areas?
In my opinion, GWS should be rebranded as Canberra and moved there permanently. There is no need for a second Sydney team. Gold Coast should be ended as soon as possible. Then bring in a Tassie team.
The fixture also needs to be completely overhauled.

Why not just start small and add a Tasmanian team to the VFL? The competition already has a number of interstate teams not affiliated with an AFL team.
If the Tasmanian people get behind it, it adds weight to the argument to put a team in the AFL. If the attendance numbers are low, there is little state backing or the sponsors don't come, then it might be safe to say that it is not going to be viable.
I actually like that idea. Even if the give them a license to come in day in 2030. Start investing in the pathways down there so the talent is coming through

Spot on. There is no comparison between Geelong and Tassie.

I actually like that idea. Even if the give them a license to come in day in 2030. Start investing in the pathways down there so the talent is coming through
That happened over 20 years ago. Lasted about 8 years before they were disbanded.

That’ll happen anyway (as it did for Giants and Suns). It seems part of the playbook for creating a new AFL team to set them up in the lower leagues a few seasons earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back