Review 1st Elimination Final, 2019: Werribee v Box Hill Hawks, 1 September 2019, 2.10pm @ North Port Oval

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Thought we had the game under control at half time. They came out all guns blazing and we stopped. The wind did us no favors but they were the better team.

Ollie was mainly on the ball. Blistering speed on display, his kicking was off but that was mainly a lack of cohesion between the mids and the forwards.
Pitto dominated the taps, and did close to buggar all elsewhere. Am losing hope that he'll come on.
CJ struggled with the conditions. Needs to be more measured in how he goes about it. Over commits.
Ross - nup. Clever when he gets it but you rarely see him win the footy. Good country footballer.
Walker - not a day for speccies. He's not quick. See how he goes with a full preseason.
Golds - has been walking with concrete boots for a month or so. He did get belted off the ball a few times so they must have rated him!
Cuz - always finds the footy. Does not seem to get many score involvements.

No goals in a half of footy. Time for BHH to have a good hard look at what they are trying to achieve.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
We don't have the Box Hill list we've had for several years+ now. Without lots of Hawthorn listed payers we are relying on on some guys who are not VFL standard to make up numbers. Sign of our success in the past that many BHH's got a chance elsewhere. To be honest, I think the criticism is a little unfair, we probably did well to make the finals with our list....

We don't have the Box Hill list we've had for several years+ now. Without lots of Hawthorn listed payers we are relying on on some guys who are not VFL standard to make up numbers. Sign of our success in the past that many BHH's got a chance elsewhere. To be honest, I think the criticism is a little unfair, we probably did well to make the finals with our list....
Criticism as far as I am concerned is not about the list but rather the standard of the competition. Win or lose our listed players will have a big step up from the VFL comp to the AFL comp

Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
They’ve been playing this game for a 100 years and during that time one thing remains true
When the wind blows the ball goes longer with it and drops short against it
When it rains the ball doesn’t go as far
Now in these modern times with line coaches, ruck coaches, development coaches and video analysis, I remain staggered that our players fail to grasp one of the most basic rules of the game.
Sure they run to zone up and execute leading patterns but you still need to be first to the ball.
(And it may help to have some idea about where the balls going to go)

Not for the first time this season the weather turned sour and we looked totally ineffective.
Perhaps it’s time for a weather coach

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They’ve been playing this game for a 100 years and during that time one thing remains true
When the wind blows the ball goes longer with it and drops short against it
When it rains the ball doesn’t go as far
Now in these modern times with line coaches, ruck coaches, development coaches and video analysis, I remain staggered that our players fail to grasp one of the most basic rules of the game.
Sure they run to zone up and execute leading patterns but you still need to be first to the ball.
(And it may help to have some idea about where the balls going to go)

Not for the first time this season the weather turned sour and we looked totally ineffective.
Perhaps it’s time for a weather coach

I’m out of the country and haven’t been able to view the game at all. I haven’t seen a review of the game relating to our game plan or where we actually went wrong, except for the fact that we had younger players pitted against older stronger bodies.

Dr J can you tell me what we did wrong? Are you saying we played dry weather footy in the wet or that we kicked short when we had the wind?
It certainly seems to be a disappointing result given the apparent talent in our side - and the fact we were goalless after half time.

I’m out of the country and haven’t been able to view the game at all. I haven’t seen a review of the game relating to our game plan or where we actually went wrong, except for the fact that we had younger players pitted against older stronger bodies.

Dr J can you tell me what we did wrong? Are you saying we played dry weather footy in the wet or that we kicked short when we had the wind?
It certainly seems to be a disappointing result given the apparent talent in our side - and the fact we were goalless after half time.
Some of the commentators on game day also mentioned that BH were trying to play dry weather footy in the wet.
To not score a goal in a half, in a final, is really something for concern. Out coached, outplayed, outbodied and outsmarted

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
A goalless half is always a concern. Our strategy of letting them have a spare man in defence downwind was ridiculous. Ross, Kosi and Walker were all out-bodied. Should have chucked Ned into the ruck and let Pitto stand in the goal square. We kicked four goals with a five-goal wind. Max got schooled.

The great news was Ollie. Spent a heap of time on the ball and was explosive. His tank has improved dramatically. That match was a great launchpad for next season and his career.

Pitto is a massive concern. Had to start taking more marks this season, he has not. Ned will be a better prospect if he can get through a pre-season.

Ross waits for the ball. When his opponent does not make mistakes he is out of work. You can scrounge a goal here and there but that does not translate to the AFL.

Walker is a mile off it. I reckon we have nursed him through the season by playing him as a permanent forward pocket. Got some skill about him but speed and endurance are lacking.

Nov 22, 2010
In The Centre Of The Octagon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Robbie Whittaker
All of that is spot on, I took my 12 year old. In the third quarter I said to him look how many more players Werribee seems to have at every contest. They were out worked.
I should’ve left when it started raining like the players seemed to.

C54Qynx.png

3YeD67M.png

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Funny that Horner's 9 touches was deemed better than Miles' 22! Dunno who hands out the votes but it seems pretty bitchy.

More inside 50s, only going at 31.3% efficiency. Good one Max.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I really felt for Pitto. Not the ideal day for him (windy, wet) but powered on. His arm was regularly grabbed in ruck contests and jumper pulled. There were some really obvious free kicks that were not paid. He only lost it a touch once, otherwise he just kept working. I was impressed with his attitude.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Funny that Horner's 9 touches was deemed better than Miles' 22! Dunno who hands out the votes but it seems pretty bitchy.

More inside 50s, only going at 31.3% efficiency. Good one Max.
The coaching was poor but the players were worse. Was a pretty soft effort in terms of bodies on the line in the 2nd half. All the coaching in the world can't save them if they don't want it enough.

And yes, the powers that be really seem to have it in for Miles. Was far better than Horner.

3rd quarter was pretty much kick it to the same spot on the same side of the ground and expect the wind and rain to have no effect. Werribee were ready for the wind/rain effect and predictability and thus, took full advantage.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really felt for Pitto. Not the ideal day for him (windy, wet) but powered on. His arm was regularly grabbed in ruck contests and jumper pulled. There were some really obvious free kicks that were not paid. He only lost it a touch once, otherwise he just kept working. I was impressed with his attitude.
And yes, the powers that be really seem to have it in for Miles. Was far better than Horner.

I thought Pitto rucked very well considering. He flat out bullies his way in a ruck contest & stoppages, winning a lot.
If that translated to AFL rucking it would be pretty impressive. Unfortunately there is a lot missing with the rest of his game.

Miles had a good game. He has banged the wrong persons daughter for sure!
In saying that his actual defensive work one on one doesn’t ring any bells... he has the smarts but is lacking in a couple of basic areas when defending. He did have a couple of good chase down tackles I believe so it’s not all bad.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought Pitto rucked very well considering. He flat out bullies his way in a ruck contest & stoppages, winning a lot.
If that translated to AFL rucking it would be pretty impressive. Unfortunately there is a lot missing with the rest of his game.

Miles had a good game. He has banged the wrong persons daughter for sure!
In saying that his actual defensive work one on one doesn’t ring any bells... he has the smarts but is lacking in a couple of basic areas when defending. He did have a couple of good chase down tackles I believe so it’s not all bad.

Lol.

Back