Player Sponsorship 1st event for 2015 VIP IntraClub match + VIP winner reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, and I forgot to add that Bruce likes to keep a drink bottle shoved down the back of his shorts for easy access (but I figure that's worth it's own post)

Awesome writeup Goodie! I just have one question about the quoted bit below:

revising our membership target for next season to 30,000 since we made 25 last year.

Can you clarify this bit for me? If that's what he said it doesn't seem to make sense cause last year we ended up with 30,738 members, and since our membership numbers seem to be going well so far I would have expected the target to be slightly higher than 30k this year.

Awesome writeup Goodie! I just have one question about the quoted bit below:

Can you clarify this bit for me? If that's what he said it doesn't seem to make sense cause last year we ended up with 30,738 members, and since our membership numbers seem to be going well so far I would have expected the target to be slightly higher than 30k this year.
I think he meant 30k by 25 Dec. They didn't really answer what they wanted as this year's tally.

Awesome write up and photos by goodie23.

Here are some of my detailed view.

I got there and everyone was head down in the phone. Scourge, I say. I can understand when you have to do stuff, but in a social setting, where you can meet new people, I just think it's an obvious choice to put the phone down and talk to REAL people. Anyway, we live in a "connected age", so, it is what it is.

I met goodie and found him pretty encyclopaedic on all things saints.

I did want to look out for Newnes and Lee, but just ended focussing on who ever was doing well.

My thoughts are as follows.

+ fisher was practically untacklable. There was one play where Bruce tried to corralled him, but fisher weaved enough to get a kick out. He played well enough to suggest a top 5 b & f finish if he plays 20-22 games.

White looked the goods and he's probably our best bet when it comes to capitalising on a quick turnover driven goal.
Goddard usually kept his feet, and looked the most likely.

Acres was impressive on the wing. Just seemed to have a lot of time coming out of the backline. Lock him in for round 1.

Savage busy and good skills. Did get some defensive tips from the coaches /fisher.

The back line of fisher, Dempster and Geary pretty much played a very well synchronised game. Good understanding between them.

The trip to huddle wasn't fun. I felt like a peeping tom. I couldn't hear what the coaches were saying, so it was more of a gesture interpretation for goodie and I.

Once we came back after the first 3rd, we realised, Roo was just standing in the marquee. Took us 5 sec to get his autographs, absolutely no q.

Hickey, Simpkin and Wright were also signing autographs.

I later on went for a chat with Scott, who's a long time player sponsor and is currently sponsoring Spencer. I've known him from back in 2005-07 days when I first met him as a sponsor! Absolutely a quality person. He mentioned meeting white, and how much adversity he has had to overcome (without going into details).

I rejoined goodie and caught up with Nathan Wright

A few things additional I remember from our chat

+ Nathan is learning to be a personal trainer for a post football career
+ we all rolled our eyes over the essendon scenario. I thought it was rather cringe worthy that two players who chaired off Lenny end up with the bombers.

+ Nathan liked to skateboard when he was younger.

+Roberton has a very short hair cut. Apparently, Richard has laid down the law on hairstyles.

+ other stuff per goodie

I liked the food. Much better than the junk that was put on the plate in 2005-07.

Other player comments

Eli: (played well), but ran out of gas in the end.

Fisher (on prodding by goodie about Spencer's goals against him) - he just got some cheap ones out the back

Bruce - bottle at the back is for quick access. (I probably wanted the bottle put in a haz mat box and disposed).

Sexton in the new role - not much has changed, but more involved in coaching strategy.

Overall, a great experience!

I was on my phone posting updates on here and trying to get your attention Axcellence
Haha.. I didn't mean to finger you. You have a valid reason.

I meant just everyone... I didn't think everyone was doing something that couldn't wait till later.

goodie23 and Axcellence sensational write ups and photos guys. You have set a very high benchmark for all others attending sponsor events this year. Be on notice StFly that the standard of feedback to us has raised a notch this year. Well done guys, I do enjoy the insights and feedback of the whole day.

Couple of more observations

+ Gilbert might be more of a round 4 to 6 starter.

+ the gameplan seemed to be very floody. Nobody was leaving a single player in the arc when the play moved on in the other arc. It did help white as he could generally double back faster.

I think Finnis said something like they were aiming for 35k
Great, I missed out on some of the speeches, as I got pulled into other conversations noted above.

In the paper yesterday? (i think) he mentioned 55k in 3 years time. thats going to be hard going. but the club has to at least aim for something as long as they don't assume it in their budgets.

In the paper yesterday? (i think) he mentioned 55k in 3 years time. thats going to be hard going. but the club has to at least aim for something as long as they don't assume it in their budgets.
I get the feeling Finnis knows exactly what he's doing. If he says he can get us to 55 in 3 years, I believe he can.

Apart from anything, they've set membership up so that it's more "opt out" each year rather than "opt in again". That means, while they need to continue to engage with current members and make them feel valued, they can spend most of their energy on attracting new members. That's a recipe for ongoing growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

goodie23 and Axcellence sensational write ups and photos guys. You have set a very high benchmark for all others attending sponsor events this year. Be on notice StFly that the standard of feedback to us has raised a notch this year. Well done guys, I do enjoy the insights and feedback of the whole day.

Pfft, their menu review was atrocious, you'd think this was an AFL forum or something.

But it's good to hear that peopel enjoyed themselves outside of the usual somehat poor organisation fo anything involving a group acting like a group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back