Discussion 1st Qualifying Final - St Kilda vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he reckons a few posters will go nuts on their board, and ruin it like some of his "colleagues" have over here.

Whilst many of the regulars probably wouldn't, given the build up (of "Don't bother turning up Saints, its in the bag already and the AFL should just award the cup to us now") we could hardly be blamed.

Not sure Charlie Gardiner can do that much, even if he is 'fired up'. He does straighten us up though and bobs up for a goal every now and then.

King is a much better ruckman than Blake for mine, and i think Kosi can match it with Ottens.

i think Kosi can match it with Ottens.

Except when it comes to putting the red leathery thing through the big white poles!

Otto would be the best set shot kick for goal I've ever seen from a ruckman.

Actually Kingy is a very good set shot. Ottens has a beautiful kicking action, but I've seen him spray them a bit. Not Riewoldt-esque, but inaccurate nonetheless.

Would've thought a bit more respect was warranted for King & Chucky who were given the arse by Geelong :

"Geelong coach Mark Thompson has fired the opening salvo ahead of Sunday's first qualifying final against St Kilda, saying the clubs have different philosophies about list management.

Thompson said the Saints had enjoyed a great year in Lyon's second season in charge, but relied on players from other clubs to still be alive in September.

Former Cats skipper Steven King was picked up by the Saints after last year's premiership, joining former teammate Charlie Gardiner at Moorabbin.
"Under Grant (Thomas), they were really a development club," Thompson said.

"Under Ross, they've got a few guys from other clubs, two from our club, and have done particularly well. It's different philosophies, but we generally like to recruit and develop our own people."

if thats the best salvo he can fire at the saints, then thats not much.

i think if Grant thomas would still be in charge the salvos would be much more!

Actually Kingy is a very good set shot.

Yeah - noticed that. Quite a good kicking technique which a few of the others should have a look at. Doesn't over-kick the ball, and almost always gets it to spin correctly.

TEAM:

B: Jason Blake, Max Hudghton, Raphael Clarke
HB: Sam Gilbert, Sam Fisher, Jason Gram
C: Clint Jones, Nick Dal Santo, Robert Harvey
HF: James Gwilt, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Stephen Milne, Justin Koschitzke, Adam Schneider
Foll: Steven King, Lenny Hayes, Brendon Goddard

Interchange: Shane Birss, Andrew McQualter, Jack Steven, Charlie Gardiner, David Armitage, Xavier Clarke, Robert Eddy

IN: McQualter, Steven, Armitage, X Clarke

:eek: Now that's a surprise. Doubt he'll make the final cut but good on him anyway. :thumbsu:

What a game to debut in that would be! But yeah doubt he'll make the cut, should probably leave it till round 1 2009.

How many finals has X. Clarke played? I think his experience could be important come finals. But yeah I reckon knowing Ross there will only be one change and that will be the forced change due to Dempster. I think he's settled on the side he wants to take into finals, and considering our form the last half of the season he seems to be spot on :thumbsu:

I suspect he's not been named because he will possibly play - he's actually Lyon giving the Cats a little dig: Steven was the kid who kicked the winning goal when we beat them in the NAB. It's a subtle little reminder that we are the OTHER team who beat Geelong on our day this year.

I suspect he's not been named because he will possibly play - he's actually Lyon giving the Cats a little dig: Steven was the kid who kicked the winning goal when we beat them in the NAB. It's a subtle little reminder that we are the OTHER team who beat Geelong on our day this year.

Please :eek::thumbsdown:

Well thoght the Saints players could do with some inspirational stuff so heres some advice for the game I hope they can use

"Every Second Counts"

"Don't let ""anything"" Distract you before or during the Game, other than the Game that is"

"Everyone needs to get on the same Wavelenght before getting onto the ground"

Under 72hrs to go and already the buzz has started in my stomach so the game is going to be pretty intense

Jack's a former Geelong Falcon - did we pinch another one from you Mark? Something is home grown anyway (what he smokes before doing press conferences).

The Flea kicked a couple of rippin goals for the scorps last week, and isn't far away. You can put him and Macca in our best 22 by next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're actually comparing a NAB cup game to an actual proper season match then you should really stop posting. No one could seriously consider that those kind of matches have any relevancy.

And why do you all have your knickers in a knot over what Thompson said. I would have preferred had he not said anything but it's 100% true. Congrats to squizzy here for naming the two out of three that Geelong have on their list who didn't start at the club like it was proof that Thompson was contradicting himself. Err.... No. That isn't the case. Both Mooney and Harley barely played any games. Ottens is the only one to have played more than a full season somewhere else. Geelong essentially has a list it built all by itself which Thompson is proud of. He's notoriously well known for not liking to trade for players(Ottens came to us through gritted teeth). Much prefers draft picks.

Browsing your list I can see 9 players that started their careers at another club. There might be others but I can't be bothered checking everyone. All but Gram played more than 22 games with their original clubs. Are you really that precious about an accurate statemtent like that?

Lyon's retort was a good one.

Haha after the Saints Hawks game I said to my mate 'I bet ya 10 bucks we finish top 4'.

He didnt shake on it, but laughed at me.

And when we lost to WCE he continued to laugh at me.

I continue to laugh at him to this day. :D

Always good to have a laugh but you don't have his ten bucks do you?

regards,

REB

As far as "taunts" go it was more a fart than a thunderclap. And yes, nothing inaccurate in it. Lyon handled it the correct way; gently diffusing it. Nothing to get excited about for either camp.

I'll always admire Geelong for the classy way they ensured two of their former players got a gig at another club when they were surplus to their own needs. Allowing Kingy and Charlie to go for pick 90 is essentially "free to a good home" and I'm not convinced all other clubs would have been as generous of spirit.

As far as this week goes, of course Geelong start as hot favourites. 21 wins vs 13 ensures that's where the smart money should be. But it's a funny game, footy ... :D

I only hope that if we win this week, or indeed, win a flag in the near future, we never become such rude, arrogant trolls as most of the Geelong posters who have smeared their faeces across our board this week.

I only hope that if we win this week, or indeed, win a flag in the near future, we never become such rude, arrogant trolls as most of the Geelong posters who have smeared their faeces across our board this week.

Unfortunatlety Percy there will be that element in our supporter base too. A lot of the Geelong fans haven't been too bad, there's always a few bad apples.

Faces or faeces Perc?

I know, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference with some of the filthy _uckers who have been trolling for reasons unknown to me.

What's wrong with their board?

Joffa - the fruit fly has gone through almost all of 'em!!!

Personally I admire clubs who can pick up underachievers from other clubs and make them into something better. It almost sticks it up the previous clubs, but unfortunately the Saints have not been that good at it.

- Hawks , Guerra
- Saints , Fiora? Dempster?
- Eagles , Kennedy?
- Collingwood , Medhurst
- Port , Motlop
-Crows, Scott Thompson

Grammy's been OK hasn't he???

Seany D was a premiership player (although he's not hanging his hat on it like some others!).

Good pick with Scott Thompson. I thought he was pretty decent at Melbourne, but the difference in the games played and stats are remarkable with the Crows.

Scott Thompson was always a good footballer and was never going to hit his straps till he went home to Adelaide, as he wanted to do as soon as he was drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back