Autopsy 1st Qualifying Final

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been blown up to epic proportions Mumford didn't even say anything that bad just said to Buddy you were on holiday this point of time last year.

Hanners said the game was played in good spirits sounds like we did a fair bit of sledging as well play on.

Too logical, but well said. I'm still trying to get over being smashed by little brother in a final. :'(

Too logical, but well said. I'm still trying to get over being smashed by little brother in a final. :'(

I had my rant but when you watch the game again they were clearly the better side on the day you know we are in trouble when we struggle to generate inside 50s no matter how bad they are considering we are the no1 side in the league for inside 50s we only had 57 on the day.

They kicked 19 behinds as well which kept us in the game till the wall just collapsed, not to say the outcome will be the same if we meet further down the track see West Coast vs Hawthorn last year.

While I desperately wanted to win that showcase game, always in the back of my mind was the thought of going into a Prelim with only one game in a month. Adelaide with their tails up are pretty scary but I have faith in our boys ability to bounce back, particularly our mids, and the prospect of a rusty Geelong (for whom only Danger, maybe Menzel, and a declining Bartels pose any threat) whets the appetite.

We weren't far off it on Saturday, really should have been three goals up early and put some doubt in the minds of the Giants. The Heeney non-mark was a game changer and a few other rough calls but we should know by now to expect that sort of stuff. For a sizable period early in the third we were getting inside 50 without mounting scoreboard pressure whereas GWS capitalized every time they went forward.

Lots of media attention in the buildup, our rising star, five all australians, Buddy's progress, winning the H&A whilst rebuilding, and while outwardly unruffled by the venue, I'm sure the group would have preferred playing at "home".

Meanwhile out in the west, the giants paid lip service to the media and stealthed their way through the fortnight smashing up cardboard cutouts of JPK and co and eating the scraps for dinner.

Hardly surprising that our youth, heeding the advice of their leaders, had their heads in the right space and were seemingly not overawed by the occasion and our celebrated stars were not at their best in the pressure cooker, leaving the door ajar for our rabid opponents.

In the end it was just one of those days... everything that could go wrong did, while everything the giants touched turned to gold. We can hardly complain about what the footy gods have dished us up over the last 6 weeks with a nice draw and outside results, although i was disappointed they saw fit to give the Hawks that one-pointer over Collingwood ;)

With Hawthorns reign looking shaky, what could be sweeter than pantsing these guys in an all NSW Grand Final?

While I desperately wanted to win that showcase game, always in the back of my mind was the thought of going into a Prelim with only one game in a month.

This is actually a very good point and i didnt even think about it. Positive from a negative.

I'd prefer to go into the GF with some continuity if we are good enough to get there not to mention a chance to play on the MCG prior.
But I won't get ahead of myself. One week at a time.

Paul Chapman was suspended in the 2013 semi-final win over Port Adelaide for bumping Robbie Gray, and subsequently missed our prelim loss to the Hawks. Gray was not affected by the bump whatsoever and immediately took his free kick and played out the game. There is a huge difference between that action - enough to miss a prelim final in the MRP's eyes - and what Johnson did which was effectively take Kennedy out of the game. He was off the ground for what, almost an entire quarter? and had nowhere near his usual impact when he returned. The Chapman incident proved the AFL wasn't scared of suspending a star player for a cut-throat final - but will they have the guts to do it to a GWS player?
apparently not

Difference in 05 was only a bullshit free against Leo Barry cost us a brave win

we were killed on weekend

That's as bad of a decision as I have ever seen in any sport, anywhere.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club given the all clear over the handling of Joey's concussion.

Maybe this was the loss we had to have because it lit a fire under us.

On a side note is it wrong to be glad that Stevie J doesn't get to play in another GF since the dirty cheap shot merchant should have been rubbed out for two weeks any way? Genius player but a cheap shot merchant all the same.

Maybe this was the loss we had to have because it lit a fire under us.

On a side note is it wrong to be glad that Stevie J doesn't get to play in another GF since the dirty cheap shot merchant should have been rubbed out for two weeks any way? Genius player but a cheap shot merchant all the same.

Also glad Dumbford (hehe) won't have a crack at another flag. He's a disgrace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back