Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
I'm a long suffering crows supporter and we seem to always stuff up our 1st round picks so I thought I'd look at some stats around this, I've looked at games played by 1st round picks, I've included traded players for the club that drafted them and allowed for bigger 1st rounds with f/s, academy and priority picks.

The main data I have so far is on games played on average per club. Chart below is total games vs average games.

1622691262410.png

Some random stats I have discovered while doing this:
  • Lowest games played by players who are now delisted is Nathan Freeman (Pies, Saints 2013) 2 & Josh Simpson (Freo - 2012)
  • 2 players from 2018 and 2 from 2019 are yet to debut and 11 from 2020, all others have played at least 1 game
  • Crows are the only team to have delisted a first round player picked in the last 5 years (Jordan Galluci)
Hope this is interesting, let me know if you want any data from those years and I'll give it a crack.

Nice work Bazz_27. So this does show the Crows don't do well with their first round picks.

This does weight for quantity so GWS are very high on the volume of games, where Geelong and Hawks have traded a lot of firsts (so have Freo). Although from a Geelong perspective we don't do all that well with our firsts anyway (which is one reason why we are happy to trade them) we do a lot better with late picks.

Good work. I found it interesting!

2 related stats that would be interesting, if anyone has the time, would be quantity and quality of such picks.

Quantity is fairly obvious, and for quality, the points could be used.

IF club X's first round picks have averaged around 15, and club Y has averaged pick 5, you'd hope/expect club Y to do noticeably better on the table above.

So the next two I've done are based on Average games played per selection vs the AFL average and the average games played per season by 1st round picks. It is definitely skewed at the bottom end for the clubs with the least picks. Hawks & eagles have had 4 picks and their average is down per season. Would be interesting to see the value of picks. Dees picked up Petracca & Brayshaw in 2014 & Oliver and Weideman in 2015. Doubt there are many clubs that have done much better than that in consecutive years (although they had picks 2,3 & 4,9)
1622763981910.png
1622763998940.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back