Preview 1st Semi-final: Geelong vs Collingwood, Sat 10 Oct GABBA @ 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We find ourselves in the same position we were in 12 months ago - a top 4 finish, a loss in the qualifying final on the oppositions home ground and now we host a semi-final at the home of the 2020 grand final

Our opponents this time around will be Collingwood, after they held on for a 1 point win over the Eagles out west - not only did Collingwood's win see WCE drop down the ladder & improve their draft pick we acquired last year, but WCE players now get to spend another 14 days in home quarantine

Collingwood troubled us in our earlier encounter this year, where they ran out 22 point winners after holding us goalless in the second quarter of that match. An improved performance from that match will be required, especially locking down their dangerous #2. DeGoey may have limped to the bench late in tonights match, but I doubt there'll be question marks over his availablity

While for the hoops, concerns have already been raised around Selwood's availablity after a dislocated finger in the match against Port required surgery to stabilise the joint. Will he recover in time to play final #32 and outright 3rd for the most finals played, and sit behind only Michael Tuck (39 finals) and Shaun Burgoyne (35)

Saturday night is the time to come out strong and play with intent from the opening bounce until the final siren - as a preliminary final against Brisbane the following week awaits the winner

Huge game!

Question marks over Grundy?

Collingwood VERY accurate in front of goal to register their score tonight, they'll need another 3+ from Cox and some magic from Degogo to get the win.

I was pessimistic after our loss with the prospect of facing WCE then Richmond but this an unlikely turn of events that favours us massively.

Go Cats!

Collingwood a clear step up in quality as evident by that game tonight against West Coast.
If they bring that kind of pressure, we will lose in the same manor we did to Port Adelaide.

De Goey, Elliott, Stephenson . . . Scott won't learn and we will have to put up with a back six overcompensated with slow talls.

Fingers crossed he drops Taylor and Henry for this one.

I thought Henry would be a good match up for Cox - they're both tallish, slow and uncoordinated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are due a win over the Pies. Can’t see Cox doing it again. And a few Cats need to redeem themselves big time

In Steven and Sav
Out Taylor (won’t happen) & Miers

Collingwood a clear step up in quality as evident by that game tonight against West Coast.
If they bring that kind of pressure, we will lose in the same manor we did to Port Adelaide.

De Goey, Elliott, Stephenson . . . Scott won't learn and we will have to put up with a back six overcompensated with slow talls.

Fingers crossed he drops Taylor and Henry for this one.

Absolutely. He won’t though. Mind you if he doesn’t he’ll be out the door after both of them. Scott will coach us just once more. Mark it down. I think we’ll lose and he be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think Selwood gets up to play, but Collingwood's defence will eat us alive if Hawkins is the only tall

Must play. Absolutely earns his ridiculous annual salary that bloke. Toughest most courageous footballer of the modern era.
If he can't get up to play, which understandable given it's a 3-4 week injury before taking up sport again, we are stuffed big time. They will monster us around clearances as both Danger + Selwood combined for 12 clearances on Thursday night.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of changes to the backline now that we know it's Collingwood. Against WCE you can get away stacking with talls, but Collingwood are much more unorthodox, it's really just Cox and the more medium sized Mihocek playing as traditional keys. I know we always tend to go tall, but Collingwood are one of the main teams that can burn you with their speed up forward. Interested to see how they handle this.

Not confident at all

Only one change - allways been a Sav fan and wanted him in the team - Kolojasni should be dropped - horrendous against Pt Adelaide - but Scott and Scarlett wont drop Jakey boy

Geelong this week need to put up a strong showing ( but i cant seeing it happening with that slow ball movement ) - otherwise its the full circle turned - and it is back to the shocking 94/95 days - where every opposition club lined up and prayed to play Geelong in the finals

Must play. Absolutely earns his ridiculous annual salary that bloke. Toughest most courageous footballer of the modern era.
If he can't get up to play, which understandable given it's a 3-4 week injury before taking up sport again, we are stuffed big time. They will monster us around clearances as both Danger + Selwood combined for 12 clearances on Thursday night.
Even if he's just the sacrificial lamb for Greenwood so to speak, at least he can free up the other mids to have a clear run. He pretty much completely negated Kelly tonight, and he always seems to get the Selwood matchup.

Spotlight firmly on Scott and selection now, game could be won or lost at the MC table this week.

Can you keep Taylor in against the more mobile, smaller Collingwood forward line? My head says no but my heart doesnt want to drop him. Huge decision for Scott, he did it with Mooney in 2011 and he's in the same position now.

Richmond showed last night the value of having two tall forwards, and the consequence missing one can have on your ability to kick goals from entries inside 50. It's too easy for good defences to double and triple team a single tall forward and take them out of the game. And we cant rely on Rohan and Danger to provide enough of a threat to kick us a score in a cut throat final. And neither player performs well when defenders can zone off and cut off their leads, thereby forcing them to try and mark in a pack which they cant do often. We want Danger in the middle as much as possible anyway, not standing around at FF. And we want Rohan 1-on-1 inside F50 so he can use his pace to create space. I've been saying it for weeks and ill say it again: Jenkins has to come into the side as the second tall forward.

Miers and MOC for me were the Deer's in the headlights from Thursday night, didnt show enough composure and willingness to get to the contest. We cant keep carrying these types of players who show time and time again they cant step up for finals.

OUT: Taylor, Miers, MOC

INS: Jenkins, Clark, Narkle

Big ask for Clark but apparently he played well today in the scratch match alongside Narkle so it's time to reward form and add some pace into this team. While also giving us an extra tall in the area of the ground where it will benefit us most. Taylor out means Stewart or Kolo plays a more lockdown role down back, which enables Blicavs to remain the utility defender which is a position he thrives in. 2E to spend more time in the back half which gives us more pace off half back and grunt around the ball in that part of the ground. Clark slots into the 2E role and pushes more up the wing.

...Having said all that, if Scotts track record is any thing to go by my guess is they will bring in Sav and Close while leaving Taylor in. With the two ins going unsighted for much of the night (although we'll watch Sav drop his traditional 5-7 marks before taking a few and kicking 2 goals in junk time when the result is already beyond doubt) and we'll get stomped by the De Goey show again.

Not confident at all

Only one change - allways been a Sav fan and wanted him in the team - Kolojasni should be dropped - horrendous against Pt Adelaide - but Scott and Scarlett wont drop Jakey boy

Geelong this week need to put up a strong showing ( but i cant seeing it happening with that slow ball movement ) - otherwise its the full circle turned - and it is back to the shocking 94/95 days - where every opposition club lined up and prayed to play Geelong in the finals

but 94/95 we only lost in finals to super teams.. poor analogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back