Preview 1st Semi-final: Geelong vs Collingwood, Sat 10 Oct GABBA @ 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team was old and slow last week. Team is old and slow this week. Narkle and Clark not even emergencies. Obviously not rated by the gutless Match committee. And if they do fluke a win their lack of pace will be totally exposed the following week. Missed the opportunity to send a message about the 3 or 4 players who were totally inept last week. A chance for redemption or a chance to fall apart under finals pressure again.

Disagree. Only 3 of those were really bad misses the rest went as expected due to low % shots. We did however kick 4 fairly lucky goals that are impossible to replicate.
Incorrect. 7D7AFA65-E38A-4C3A-B754-62CD7795A487.jpeg

The game was won and lost at 1 goal 8 behinds from set shots (and 5 goals 12 behinds total which means 4 goals 4 behinds from general play).

Again, why do you assume after every goal is kicked you then proceed to have another shot at the goals?
In some circumstances, missing a shot and then having the opportunity to lock the ball inside your own half of the ground can lead to a quick goal and therefore, you get a 7 point play.
Had that first shot at goal gone through, it goes back to the centre and a whole new set of events play out.

Whenever we did kick a goal, it was Port Adelaide who quickly had the next scoring opportunity so again, what makes you think we would have kicked consecutive goals, go back to the centre, win the clearance (despite being behind in centre clearances) and kick more goals?

At halftime, Port were +12 for tackles, even for clearances, +1 for centre clearances, even for hitouts to advantage. That to me suggests the game was very much an even contest.
When the hear when up in the second half, we couldn't match them and that was the ball game.
Stop with the continual excuses.
The amount of finals we have now lost does not support your argument there.

Only joking mate. We all have things we bang on about. I just know when I see a ball movement post I have the snappy Cataholic one incoming.

Fair call.

I try to keep an open mind to all pov's and avoid 'banging on' but yeah, I probably have on this one.

I'm just a little exasperated with the stilted movement and seeing us choke whenever pressure is applied I guess.

I want to see Ablett and Danger get that flag so bad........

Why bother even watching the game. Obviously we aren’t good enough! It’s been your philosophy for a while!
You have selective reading issues.
But not watching is a good coping mechanism for games like this.
Does it bother you so much that some don't have much faith in our ability to win the big games this year?
As long as you remain true to what you believe, the opinions of others should not bother you.
I'll be back whether we win or lose to support the Cats. Does not mean I have to rate us as better than our opponents at certain times. Not all times. When I'm confident, I don't post much.

Don't worry Cats fans. We can turn it around when there is adversity, we ain't going out in straight sets.

If Donald can beat Covid, we can beat the Pies.

:D

So you’re saying the cats faked the last game. And they have taken some experimental training so they can win, be big winners the biggest winners in the world.

Don’t think it will Mae much difference having Atkins or Simpson in. But disappointing to go in with the same structure. Cats still a chance but think we would’ve been better with a more balanced team.

Fair call.

I try to keep an open mind to all pov's and avoid 'banging on' but yeah, I probably have on this one.

I'm just a little exasperated with the stilted movement and seeing us choke whenever pressure is applied I guess.

I do feel your pain. Especially in finals under heat and where finding space proves so difficult. We need to get the balance right between a game plan that worked in H&A, while being able to adjust and adapt in the passages of play where speeding things up is advantageous. Last week for me besides conversion, more disappointing in the second half was lack of numbers around the ball and the packs. So Port always spilled it out to free players or found the handball exit. This made it look like they had a lot of surges/quick movement - in reality it was simply Geelong failing on the first point of play.

Garrr, maybe shouldn't have watched the youtube round 7 highlight lowlights for a warm up.
Pies looked like torched black ants - run everywhere. Treloar BOG, De Goo a free man running, no Cox.
Clark shoulder, Sel hammy, Gryan brain fades, slow Kolo, ditto Henry, O'Connor.
Grundy killed Fort.

Grundy seems sluggish so can only hope Stanley does better. Danger was good, go again son.
5 freaking goals all up that day, surely Hawk bounces back with 5 (after kicking zero R7).
Simpson only fair against them, but kicked a goal and will be more assured for the experience,
as I remember him with the "proving" novice tick of trying to do too much with the ball.
Gaz will give it every last ounce, Duncan back in against them, no Stevens, no Narkle.
So a bit different on paper and fewer injuries, but finals pressure added and they like chaos.
HOPE Cats can put into play what they learned, but how to increase the speed required?

Fair call.

Sorry just to follow up. Another thing last week were the turnovers under relatively little pressure, that all resulted in rapid Port scoring chains. The short kick option was fine, but the players didn't have the nerve to hit the skills they normally do 49 times out of 50. It's hard to coach for this as it amounts to saying "I don't trust you to do what you should, when it matters, despite it working all year". Geelong's lack of composure is the real failure, rather than the game plan. Just my opinion...

I do feel your pain. Especially in finals under heat and where finding space proves so difficult. We need to get the balance right between a game plan that worked in H&A, while being able to adjust and adapt in the passages of play where speeding things up is advantageous. Last week for me besides conversion, more disappointing in the second half was lack of numbers around the ball and the packs. So Port always spilled it out to free players or found the handball exit. This made it look like they had a lot of surges/quick movement - in reality it was simply Geelong failing on the first point of play.

Agree all points.

I have gone on about us being slow, and part of that is being slow with intent, focus, and being a 'team' member.

That leads to half hearted efforts, lack of numbers around the ball, guys at the fall of the ball, roving the packs etc.

A simple criticism, but a simple failing too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry just to follow up. Another thing last week were the turnovers under relatively little pressure, that all resulted in rapid Port scoring chains. The short kick option was fine, but the players didn't have the nerve to hit the skills they normally do 49 times out of 50. It's hard to coach for this as it amounts to saying "I don't trust you to do what you should, when it matters, despite it working all year". Geelong's lack of composure is the real failure, rather than the game plan. Just my opinion...

It's mental composure - we lack it under pressure. There's ample evidence to prove it.

Unfortunately, I think our game plan amplifies it when we turn to water.

Again, why do you assume after every goal is kicked you then proceed to have another shot at the goals?
In some circumstances, missing a shot and then having the opportunity to lock the ball inside your own half of the ground can lead to a quick goal and therefore, you get a 7 point play.
Had that first shot at goal gone through, it goes back to the centre and a whole new set of events play out.

Whenever we did kick a goal, it was Port Adelaide who quickly had the next scoring opportunity so again, what makes you think we would have kicked consecutive goals, go back to the centre, win the clearance (despite being behind in centre clearances) and kick more goals?

At halftime, Port were +12 for tackles, even for clearances, +1 for centre clearances, even for hitouts to advantage. That to me suggests the game was very much an even contest.
When the hear when up in the second half, we couldn't match them and that was the ball game.
Stop with the continual excuses.
The amount of finals we have now lost does not support your argument there.
Yep, Have said this before.
Inaccuracy post mortems ignore causality.
If one goal is kicked, as opposed to a point then the whole game thereafter is changed .
Go watch back to the future....

In this bizarre season of only 17 games, 4th has less meaning perhaps after h & a?
Finishing 6th with LL in finals is too rapid a farewell for GAJ and Harry, but I doubt the Pies are worried about that. Deep down, do we honestly believe we have the game to go deeper in finals, or are the Pies better equipped?
I believe that we could if we get past the Pies, but they are a massive challenge for us.
17 is a smaller sample size than 22, so yeah. But could you say we were better H&A team than Port, Bris and Rich? I can’t.

We were definitely better than Collingwood though. So if we lose to them now it is an abject failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back