Game Day 1st Semi-final WCE vs GWS Giants

Can we recover in time and claim consecutive road wins?

• Yes, we're overdue to flat-track someone

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • Tough task, will probably take double extra-time golden point, but we're up to it

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • No, we spent all our petrol tickets in Adelaide

Votes: 37 33.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
GWS Giants versus West Coast Eagles

upload_2017-9-11_12-2-31.png
Imposing. Just look at that bikini line.

vs

upload_2017-9-11_12-2-41.png
"Fan art"

Where: Spotless Stadium
When: Sat. 16 September, 7:25pm AEST (5:25pm Western)

So here we are. Halfway into September and still with a game to look forward to. Who’da thunk it? A season that was in its death throes just a fortnight ago has suddenly had new life breathed into it.

My jangled nerves have only now been soothed. Actually, I made that up. My nerves were fine on Saturday night.

You see, at ¾ time I saw the writing on the wall and decided to watch my download of the final episode of Game of Thrones season 7. I just couldn’t put myself through the soul-crushing agony of another meek fade-out. Regrets? Yah-hah, just a few. But boy, that was an ending for the ages, right? Dragons, executions, unwitting incest. Wow-wee.

Oh, the footy? Yeah, apparently that was a pretty good finish too. Pretty much the most epic finish to a final it is possible to witness. So I’m told. I had to read the post-game articles and watch some videos to catch up on it all. I kept reading about one of the smartest plays ever witnessed on an AFL field. It took me ages to find a vid of Ezy running full bore into a point post. Brilliant !
upload_2017-9-11_12-3-11.png
The greatest piece of individual brilliance in AFL history

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
- Isaac Newton, 1676

Old mate Isaac knew his footy. Bemoaning their juicy draft concessions, he could see that one day, the road to the premiership would run through western Sydney. And so it does for us in 2017.

2017 meetings

Round 22 Saturday, August 19
In the game until we got run over late in the 4th.

upload_2017-9-11_12-3-21.png

Round 10 Sunday, May 28
In the game until we got run over late in the 4th.
upload_2017-9-11_12-3-26.png

So how do I see this weekend playing out? Well they say the key to winning interstate is to silence the crowd early. We did it to perfection on Saturday night and I back us to repeat that effort. Especially if this gem from the GWS board’s preview thread is any indication:

“Tickets go on sales for competing club members on Monday September 12th from 9am– 1pm. It’s our last visit to Spotless for the year, so we all need to bring along at least one guest, and put an orange scarf on them.”

upload_2017-9-11_12-3-55.png
The boys will have to silence this early

The big question is, if we get off to another early lead, can we sustain the effort for longer than a quarter? Recent history suggests we will not, so the issue becomes: will we have the legs to hold on again? GWS haven’t exactly set the world on fire just lately, so maybe, just maybe, we can eke out another grinding win.

Ins and Outs
Possible GWS line-up, courtesy of their preview thread:

FB: Adam Tomlinson, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
HB: Nathan Wilson, Aidan Corr, Brett Deledio
C: Lachie Whitfield, Callan Ward, Tom Scully
HF: Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto, Rory Lobb
FF: Toby Greene, Jon Patton, Matt de Boer
RR: Dawson Simpson, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper

Interchange: Nick Haynes, Harry Himmelberg, Zac Williams, Dylan Shiel

In: Dawson Simpson, Tim Taranto

Out: Jeremy Cameron (hamstring), Shane Mumford (ankle)

Emergencies: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Kennedy, Harry Perryman

With the injury to Cameron, GWS will be forced to go smaller in their forward line, looking to add a bit of pace to unsettle our aerial dominance down back. Regardless, I’ll be backing our blokes to repel their raids all night long. That’s what they do.

As for us, we went in unchanged against Port (I think?). Don’t expect that to happen this week. Simmo has hinted at the need to add some fresh legs to help us out after a draining extra-time win on the road and all the travel ahead if we are to continue on. Personally I enjoy airline travel. You get to sit down for several hours, watch movies and have food and drink brought to you whenever you want by attractive women. But it’s not for some, I guess.

The most obvious replacements springing to mind are Messrs Wellingham and Masten, neither of whom put a foot wrong in the WAFL at the weekend. (see what I did there?). Names on the chopping block seem to be Partington, LeCras and the human tackle bag, Liam Duggan. LeCras I suspect will be safe, given the crazy stupid gamble of replacing him with an underdone debutant in the form of Willie Rioli. But Parto and Duggan? Expect one of them to miss, with Wellingham to replace.

In the box

Simmo:
There have been a few subtle rumblings about Simpson’s tenure as coach of late, with his tactical acumen called into question. But just as he did when he devised the Web, he has engineered another coaching masterstroke late in 2017 – instead of allowing teams to run over us in 4th quarters after being ahead all day, Simmo decided it would be better if this happened in 3rd quarters, thus leaving us with one quarter to make amends before the game ends. Suck on that, doubters.

Leon Cameron:
Beady eyes. Looks shifty. Never did like him.

Players to watch

Pridchell
upload_2017-9-11_12-4-8.png

Amazing what the threat of playing in your last game does to a man. Along with Drew Petrie, these guys just did what they do and delayed the cold dark hand of death, errr, retirement for one week longer. Can they back it up? If they want to stave off the encroaching darkness, they’ll have to. I think they can.

Rory Lobb
I like watching Lobb play. He reminds me of Marty McFly’s dad in Back to the Future.

upload_2017-9-11_12-4-15.png
Is it just me? Probably

Also, will he be asked to take on the sole rucking duties if Mumford is ruled out with an ankle, or even dropped? I think Vardy/Petrie have this area covered, following on from their efforts against Patrick Ryder, AA. Inevitably there will be chatter around Nic Nat’s availability, but in our heart of hearts we know that just ain’t happenin’. Vardy/Petrie deserve to see 2017 out.

Stevie J
Do the Giants take a punt and hope for a spark from Stevie J? If not, it’s near certain he’s played his last game. For trivia buffs amongst you, apparently the J stands for Johnson and his real first name is Steven. Who knew?

Toby Greene
I remember Greene kicking the sealer against us at Subi earlier this year. I also remember him kicking Luke Dahlhaus in the face and getting suspended for punching someone else in another game. He has done enough to earn his place in my Gallery of Most Punchable Heads. However he’s a handy little player who tends to love an occasion. He’ll be looking to lift after being down against the Crows. Does Shep go to him? Might need to lift his rating after Saturday to do the job.

upload_2017-9-11_12-4-23.png
Wing it’s Gallery of Punchable Heads

Prediction
GWS may have western Sydney, but we have the whole west coast (tiny irrelevant purple dot on the map aside). They have been well down and suddenly look gettable. Eagles by 12(thousand empty seats).

Last edited:
Pridchell
414099_dcc2378730afb19c4605138d68598c36.png

sweet-mother-of-god.jpg

ive nicknamed greene as pffffth as his facial expression always looks like he wants to squirt water out of his mouth with or without a mouthguard.

back on topic. (yes its monday im sorry). i genuinely feel if mumford and cameron are out well dominate the spine. my only concern is the orange tsunami. if it clicks we could see 10 goals scored on us in a quarter. need to dominate the air and play counter attack footy.

do agree with the op need to go off at a bang.

if we pull this off. playing richmond at the g will be magical.

This is how you remind me..

One is an otherwise unassuming fellow that gets hate from the hipster elitist crowd who circlejerks over how crap he apparently is, yet most people either don't mind him or are even fans of his inoffensive ordinariness.

The other is the frontman of Nickelback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a feeling GWS mosquito fleet will pepper the goals all night... need them to be as wasteful as Port were and for us to kick goals when we should to win.

This game will be tougher than Port at AO... can we do it?? Great preview btw.

Yes, we can. Yes, we can

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back