1st Test Australia v Pakistan Dec 14-18 1250hrs @ Perth Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The 5-10k out in the Pimms tent that don’t see a ball bowled all day.
I have mates come over from Sydney and Melbourne for it every year and never see a ball live. They come over just to all catch up and it’s a party atmosphere
Day 1 - I watch most of it in the stands
Day 2 - I'm recovering out the back, wouldn't see a ball really unless someone's going to make a ton then I pop up to the seats
Day 3 - mostly just drinking out the back.
Day 4 - watch half/out the back for half. Depends who's going
Day 5 - I'm questioning my will to live and only attend if it's looking like an exciting finish

I think the bbl (all night games other than perth) should be all pre xmas. And the tests series all from boxing day onwards.

The sport needs the BBL In January. Not enough international content with test matches not going the distance.

A discussion for another thread but I think we will see fixed windows soon for international cricket similar to Football. They will be small windows so an overall reduction in games.

All the various leagues will go up against each other in slots not covered by the IPL which would most likely see the BBL not start until January. I think the New Years test would be moved, potentially Boxing Day as well.

Oh, so fixturing plays a role in how many people attend?

And here I am thinking that Adelaide people just love test cricket more than anyone else.
Well, with a population 2/3 that of Perth, I guess that 11,000 should be a pass mark for dayv1 of the Adelaide test.

Australia v Pakistan at Perth Stadium (2023)
Thursday 14 December: 16,259
Friday 15 December: 17,666
Saturday 16 December: 15,956
Sunday 17 December: 9,244
Average attendance: 14,781

Australia v West Indies at Adelaide Oval (2022) - D/N

Thursday 8 December: 24,449
Friday 9 December: 27,490
Saturday 10 December: 24,889
Sunday 11 December: 9,789
Average attendance: 21,654

Australia v New Zealand at Perth Stadium (2019) - D/N

Thursday 12 December: 19,081
Friday 13 December: 20,018
Saturday 14 December: 17,107
Sunday 15 December: 9,334
Average attendance: 16,385

Blaming Perth crowds on scheduling is pretty weak.

Day 4 is comparable, before considering WI were already 4 down heading in, whereas the other 2 matches had a lot more to play out (plus yesterday had the lure of Lyon creating history).

One important fact about that D/N test was that it was 40+ for the first 3 days. I think the point about Adelaide having better crowds still stands but that temperature would have put a fair few people off. Unfortunate that it was Perths only chance at a day nighter because from what I saw yesterday people were rocking up later.

whatever happened to that talk about an india v pakistan test at the MCG?
will it ever happen?
and would the pakisani's be any better in the field?

I think every Goverment has had a crack at getting that. Both in Australia and overseas.

I think it might happen one day somewhere but I don't know if there is a huge appetite for it from the players and respective Cricket Boards

whatever happened to that talk about an india v pakistan test at the MCG?
will it ever happen?
and would the pakisani's be any better in the field?
it was seemingly all talk; or they could not come to an arrangement with the cricket boards of each country

Interesting numbers there.

Of the 8 days of cricket in Perth, only once did they exceed a 20K crowd whilst 4 out of the 5 days of the Adelaide test were 20K plus.

And lets remember that the 2 Perth tests listed hosted better opposition than what Adelaide had against the Windies. .
and those numbers are perfectly fine for a low crowd pulling nation in Pakistan

What people tend to forget is that the plan is to play the lower pulling nations such as NZ Pakistan at the WACA which has a capacity of less than 20000 with the redevelopment and then play the bigger pulling nations India and England at Perth Stadium.

If we see same the number of crowd as above against India and England at Perth Stadium then I agree we have an issue...but I reckon 100% the crowds will be much bigger next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and those numbers are perfectly fine for a low crowd pulling nation in Pakistan

What people tend to forget is that the plan is to play the lower pulling nations such as NZ Pakistan at the WACA which has a capacity of less than 20000 with the redevelopment and then play the bigger pulling nations India and England at Perth Stadium.

If we see same the number of crowd as above against India and England at Perth Stadium then I agree we have an issue...but I reckon 100% the crowds will be much bigger next year
They'll never go back to the WACA if they could potentially get larger than the capacity at Perth Stadium. And there's no good excuse why day 1 of any Perth test is less than 20k.

The only way they would is if they got demoted to below Hobart and Canberra and got a october Bangladesh/Ireland/Afghanistan test one year.

412093378_903764824745608_543122278996552262_n.jpg

good idea/bad idea? :think:

People on this forum are in Lala land if they think Perth ( or even Brissy - can’t wait to hear the rubbish after the Gabba test ) will be or should be demoted and the test given to Hobart or Canberra. Those locations unfortunately will not get the crowds or corporate support Etc.

Lyon's a somewhat better batsman, he's a more consistent bowler and he's definitely a better fielder.

MacGill at his best was one for the highlight reels, but like most leggies, his worst was terrible. Plus, he was cannon fodder for high-quality players of spin because they'd wait for the inevitable full toss (IND 2003/04).

Lyon seems to fare better against players like that because he bowls quicker overspin or sidepsin, making it harder to move your feet or cut. Moreover, he can entice players with a slower, flighted delivery like he did against ENG in Edgbaston. That, and even at his worst he rarely bowls obvious 4 balls.

Lyon has never had MacGill's grandeur though, and his worst is just plain innocuous - bowling too flat and straight and getting picked off.
Was watching highlights of Sangakkaras 192 in Hobart and some of the balls that Mcgill dished out were utter trash that you rarely see from any good test spinner these days

It will only have a 10k capacity. The days of men's international cricket at the WACA are over.

It stirs the cynic in me tbh another white person coming up with an indigenous angle with the ultimate aim of attracting bigger crowds.

There's also the factor of indigenous people not really connected to cricket in the way they are to Australian Rules.
"Not really connected to cricket" is not by accident. Numerous cases of indigenous people making a start in cricket before being deliberately excluded.

People on this forum are in Lala land if they think Perth ( or even Brissy - can’t wait to hear the rubbish after the Gabba test ) will be or should be demoted and the test given to Hobart or Canberra. Those locations unfortunately will not get the crowds or corporate support Etc.
Of course Perth won’t lose their test but it’s ridiculous that CA favours them. In the future they should just get what they are given and reward Adelaide for doing the right thing.

Feel like with the success of the scochers, families are actually choosing to go to more BBL games than they for the tests.
Also value for money/sugar hit (3 hrs compared to 8)

Looked up gen admin for aus v WI test in adel and it said $126

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back