1st Test; Australia v Pakistan @ The Gabba November 21-25

(Log in to remove this ad.)

omarlittle1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Unfortunately India pay the bills in test cricket now, just look at our matches against Pakistan.

Terrible crowds, terrible ratings.. we NEED to play India and England or CA will go broke
For interest sake, do the ratings take into account Kayo streams? Or are they only counting channel 7 and fox viewers on TV?

deanc

All Australian
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What sort of organization is Cricket Australia running if Kohli is calling the shots on where we play our home tests?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I understand where Paine is coming from and while Kohli has strong views on scheduling (as previous Indian captains or senior players have in the past) the BCCI are the real bully boys in such matters.
On at least two past occasions there have been disagreements and stand-offs relating to Aus tour schedules which almost resulted with these tours being cancelled and we all recall what happened during 'Monkeygate', where the BCCI threatened (in writing) to pack up and go home mid-tour...

Plenty of history here although some of the 'issues' between CA and the BCCI have been over-played (often for promotional reasons) by the media generally - for example India didn't actually request not to play a boxing day test when they toured Aus in 2011 - that rumour started from some crazy Indian journalist who misread the tour dates.

JackBero

champ
Jul 22, 2019
Ben Cousins
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Fighting Furies and North Adelaide
Unfortunately India pay the bills in test cricket now, just look at our matches against Pakistan.

Terrible crowds, terrible ratings.. we NEED to play India and England or CA will go broke
just remember that it was being played on a thursday and friday when people are working or at school.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I always thought the inaugural match at the new Perth stadium had to do with the absence of the Gabba match for India. Since the turn of the millennium after which India started playing regular 4 match series in Australia (around the same time the financial clout of the BCCI started increasing), India generally played three matches at Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney that remained constant in all tours with the fourth one alternating between Perth and Brisbane with every visit.

'03 - Brisbane
'07 - Perth
'11 - Perth
'14 - Brisbane
'18 - Perth

Although I'm pretty certain the BCCI had to do with the opening match being scheduled at Adelaide because Adelaide has been a good venue for India over the years when compared to others. It's definitely not ideal that the visiting team gets a say in these things but money rules in cricket and I'm sure there are kickbacks involved. If it were upto me, I wish India have a shot at the Gabba fortress next year as the opening match of the series.

mouncey2franklin

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How many Gabba test matches are there for year?

It was utterly embarrassing, even the A League gets bigger crowds than that
How many of you guys potting the crowds have actually attended the cricket at the Gabba?

It is hard to get to, too expensive, the beer is absolute shit, it is just a horrible experience.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
With a visiting team 3-60 and trailing by 290.

Yeah.
Yeah.... and? You make as many excuses as you want, the crowd was horrific. How many tests do Queenslanders get to see per year? If it was 10k you could argue yea.. it was okay... but it didn't even get to half of that !

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah.... and? You make as many excuses as you want, the crowd was horrific. How many tests do Queenslanders get to see per year? If it was 10k you could argue yea.. it was okay... but it didn't even get to half of that !
The crowd was basically no different to what would be expected For that opposition. The same opponent drew not many more for a day nighter 4 years ago where they nearly chased a world record score.

I can’t fathom how it would be expected that the crowd would be heaps bigger than it was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kram

I'll brik u
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
If you played the exact same fixture at the same date at Docklands I bet the turn out would not be much better in Melbourne.

Kram

I'll brik u
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Do you have any evidence to support this? When was the last time the MCG got 6k people?
When was the last time they played a Test at the MCG that wasn't when there was no school on and nearly everyone was on holidays? Against poor opposition with the game already over?

If you think the attendance wouldn't anything but abysmal if it was played in Melbourne instead you are deluded.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide seem to have a rusted on crowd that Perth, although that may change with the new ground and Brisbane don't.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
When was the last time they played a Test at the MCG that wasn't when there was no school on and nearly everyone was on holidays? Against poor opposition with the game already over?

If you think the attendance wouldn't anything but abysmal if it was played in Melbourne instead you are deluded.
In the past 100 years, how many times has the MCG gotten 6k crowds for a game? You keep changing the goal posts.

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Wot....

The Gabba test whilst not well attended, rated extremely well on TV.

Do you really think ground attendances pay the bills?

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Last summer the most popular team on the planet started the last day in Perth 5-125 with an improbably but still outside chance of winning the test, at a world class venue in a city that is - I think - bigger than Brisbane, and drew 10k.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
You can't expect a big crowd to turn up when the result is already decided and it's likely that there won't be close to a full day's play like yesterday.

The match ended up lasting until around tea but it could easily have been over by lunch, why bother going when you may only see one session of play?

prophetic1

Senior List
Apr 18, 2013
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
South east Melb. PHOENIX

They need to play quality teams too, don't they? Otherwise there's little value in playing with themselves..... in the sense they need to compete or it all eventualy folds,,,,im sure they might enjoy playing with themselves, none the less competing against us and others is an avenue they use to acquire a degree of socio/economic credit/note in their role as the sub continental parvenu...........Hence we can afford to apply a little energy to at least not appear as though we bend over with such joy...

Last edited:

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has it been lost on everyone that this crowd was bigger than the one in Gilchrist’s debut against the same opposition 20 years ago?
This isn’t exactly an out of the blue occurrence
Not super invested in comparing, but population increase has to be taken into account when comparing crowd sizes. The population of the whole of Queensland was about 3.5 million as of 2000 census data, as of 2018 its 5 million with 2.5 million in Brisbane metropolitan area.

Top Bottom