Not open for further replies.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
First ball 2:30pm AEST.

Australia return to Sri Lanka for a Test match for the first time since 2016. They were put in a spin by Rangana Herath on that tour losing 3-0 and the previews of the pitch for the 1st Test at Galle suggest it will be spin to win again.

Indications suggest Sri Lanka will give legspinner Jeffrey Vandersay a debut as part of 3-pronged spin attack leaving Asitha Fernando as the lone pace bowler. Kusal Mendis, Dhanajaya De Silva and Dinesh Chandimal all made centuries on Australia's last visit to Sri Lanka and combine with veteran Angelo Mathews to form the middle order for Sri Lanka.

Expected Line Up: 1 Pathum Nissanka, 2 Dimuth Karunaratne (c), 3 Kusal Mendis, 4 Angelo Mathews, 5 Dhananjaya de Silva, 6 Dinesh Chandimal, 7 Niroshan Dickwella (wk), 8 Ramesh Mendis, 9 Jeffrey Vandersay, 10 Lasith Embuldeniya, 11 Asitha Fernando

There's been a lot of noise coming out from around the Australia camp that there would be some surprise changes to the starting XI, namely the re-introduction of Jon Holland to Test cricket, however Cummins confirmed that incumbent Mitch Swepson would play as Holland is out with a finger injury. Glenn Maxwell was called into the squad as cover for Travis Head however Head is firming to be fit to play and as such Australia appear to be going in with an unchanged XI from that that beat Pakistan on their last Test outing. Mitchell Starc had a ridiculous tour of Sri Lanka last time taking 24 wickets @ 15 including taking Sri Lankas now captain Dimuth Karunaratne 5 times, all for scores below 8.

Expected Line Up: 1 Usman Khawaja, 2 David Warner, 3 Marnus Labuschagne, 4 Steven Smith, 5 Travis Head, 6 Cameron Green, 7 Alex Carey (wk), 8 Mitchell Starc, 9 Pat Cummins (c) , 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Mitchell Swepson

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
1656468414434.png

Hope Swepson can produce the goods in conditions that should be more favourable for him. Even if he doesn't perform in the first Test, I'll still be shitted if we bring Holland back. Would honestly rather Kuhnemann, even though he's not good enough to be playing Test cricket just yet IMO (having a great season for me in Cricket Captain 2021 though!).

Hope Swepson can produce the goods in conditions that should be more favourable for him. Even if he doesn't perform in the first Test, I'll still be shitted if we bring Holland back. Would honestly rather Kuhnemann, even though he's not good enough to be playing Test cricket just yet IMO (having a great season for me in Cricket Captain 2021 though!).

Agar is available for the second test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
he had chances against Pakistan and looked like a walking wicket against spin. This is an absolute dustbowl why play him.

I’d rather pick neither to be honest but between the two I’m picking Head every day of the week in a test match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back