1st Test Australia v West Indies 30/11-4/12 1250hrs @ Perth Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it's already been mention, but it's a pity Green didn't go in instead of Smith in that 2nd innings.....Smith was coming off a double ton, surely giving Green a knock would of been more sensible.....Green could easily not get a knock in Adelaide, then faces up to SA quicks, without a knock for a few weeks....
Stupid decision to bat smith with a dodgy hip in the 2nd dig.....nothing to gain everything to lose should of been Head/Green

Then you didn’t watch closely enough.

Cricket is a game of millimetres and often good fortune.

Australia didn’t win through luck they won through having a stronger team who played stronger cricket - no one is arguing against that.

In the same way that two golfers can shoot vastly contrasting scores with less separation in quality than those scores dictate through a bad bounce here or a lipped out putt there etc, so too can two cricket sides be separated by a score line that suggests a bigger gap than what there was.

West Indies against other sides or on another day, will bowl like they did on day one - Chase excepted - and bowl teams out for under 300. That’s not wishful thinking, it’s simply a fact.

With the bat? Australia held virtually everything - that won’t always happen but equally it’s a consequence of their high fielding standards too so credit for that. The bowling was relentless and as has been acknowledged, it’s a tier above the West Indies own bowlers and also what they’re used to facing.

They produced two good opening stands, one of which was their first century stand in over a decade for the first wicket. Two of their batsmen who have been among their most reliable in their last dozen tests barely fired a shot, and one of them was strangled down the leg side albeit to a good plan and a good catch.

A debutante showed he easily belongs at test level, another very underrated player showed he may not have the record to display it in lights but he is world class.

The second innings of Australia I think was fairly irrelevant anyway - at a guess I would say 75 per cent of innings when a side leads by 300+ go to exactly the same script.

The long and the short of it is that the windies batted for 210 overs even with a couple of collapses which is more than what a lot of people predicted

Yeah there's a bit of luck good fortune in all sport, Marnus is an incredible example of that.
Such was the comprehensive margins in this test across all areas, I wouldn't describe good fortune or 'millimetres in it' as having any bearing on this result.

The Windies did toil away much of day one in-particular early on with the seamers and the new ball. They obviously lack some elite talent (spin) and as such couldn't keep the pressure on for long periods, not backed up by some lackluster fielding at times too.

Day 2 they were bowling for the draw. I know you agreed along the lines of Lara suggesting they couldn't bowl them out so to start slowing the runs and basically waiting for the deceleration. Can't disagree with the 1st innings staring them down.

I congratulated both openers, watched Chanderpaul against Australia A the kid looks an incredible talent. Having caught the end of his old mans career I'll watch with interest. They certainly could have folded earlier instead of pushing through the final day too.

Never meant there weren't positives to to take away from the game. I just can't remember similar results being so openingly positive against past opposition or that similar scores would get equal praise next series against SA.

Only a small point, irrelevant at that when you consider no fan would give WI a chance of winning in AUS. (1 rank). Not the first or last team to suffer here (outside of India). Smith and Marnus record here, bowling line-up, Important toss to win etc.

It's ok to respectfully disagree on the minor details, I certainly went to the extremes of the win (putrid) wasn't required, I put my hand up for that. Just happy test cricket is back for the summer.

Last edited:
I think the India series we will be competitive and I think we should be favourites in England.

Our batting is way too sketchy in english conditions for us to be favs, that 2-2 draw certainly wasn't a great team effort, smith batted like bradman marnus was his reliable backup and the rest flat out stunk up the joint, 8 other batsman played in that ashes and only wade averaged over 30(33) it was a terrible effort from our batting made to look reasonable by smiths brilliance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it.

Love the clickbat headline "Team in chaos!". Aside from the fact quad injuries are fickle that often a few Physio sessions can resolve, let's run with the 'team in chaos' and the 'shock call-up' replacements story all the same...:rolleyes:

On a positve note I guess any cricket story in the news is good, given that I only discovered the 1st test was on last week when my cricket fanatic neighbour (who only watches test cricket) texted me with "Aus win toss and bat!"...

Last edited:
Interesting. Would not like to see them rest one of Starc or Hazelwood just for the sake of it.
Should be picking our strongest team we can. Fair enough, Cummins is not right to bowl at full fitness so bring someone into the 11 like Boland but if rest one of other pace bowlers that not injured that is a slippery slope I not want to see happen.
I do not want to see Morris make a debut because we think we can beat West Indies without picking our best team.

he wont be taking cummins spot he and neser are just in as cover, dont want a situation where cummins is ruled out then then starc or hazlewood pull up sore before game and we only have one extra quick, with concussion protocols now cant hurt to have two extra quick's around side anyway.

he wont be taking cummins spot he and neser are just in as cover, dont want a situation where cummins is ruled out then then starc or hazlewood pull up sore before game and we only have one extra quick, with concussion protocols now cant hurt to have two extra quick's around side anyway.
Yes, I think this is probably what is happening. Hopefully Morris or Neser are not missing any Shield cricket by simply being on call for an emergency.

Yes, I think this is probably what is happening. Hopefully Morris or Neser are not missing any Shield cricket by simply being on call for an emergency.
I think no more shield till February 2023.But surely guys like Boland need some type of cricket even if is just club cricket but perhaps he might play in the Aust.A game v South Africa before the SA test series.

I think no more shield till February 2023.But surely guys like Boland need some type of cricket even if is just club cricket but perhaps he might play in the Aust.A game v South Africa before the SA test series.
Damn, no Shield cricket to then is just dumb schedule. Should be Shield matches for at least two more weeks and then a break. So the whole South African series we can only pick from guys we have already. Man the schedule is so ****ed.

Damn, no Shield cricket to then is just dumb schedule. Should be Shield matches for at least two more weeks and then a break. So the whole South African series we can only pick from guys we have already. Man the schedule is so ****ed.
This crazy no SShield scheduling during peak summer has been the case for a few years now, the reasonong is just three words; "Big Bash Cash!"

Last edited:
Couldn't possibly pick Starc and Morris in the same side.

Only 12 months or so since Morris dished up a couple of shield wins to Tassie on a platter.
My thoughts exactly

Starc/Morris/Meredith (Shudder)
Cummins/Boland/Richardson (Inj)
Hazelwood/Neser/Sutherland

Lol. Don’t mind a look at ’Minor’. He is more accurate than Meredith. That said if he does play I hope he does not turn in a Chris Mathew’s performance.

Unhappily the talented Richo is a bust because of perpetual injury.

Back