1st Test: Australia vs Pakistan

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still worried about Australia's capacity to score big in the 4th innings, to win or save a game. Other teams can do it, but when we're behind the 8 ball, we crash to a resounding defeat more often than not.

If roles had been reversed in Brisbane, would we have got anywhere near 450?
Wouldn't have made 250 IMO

Wouldn't have made 250 IMO
Pretty much my point, which fills me with dread ahead of the tour of India. The Poms have been comprehensively flogged over there, but at least their batting has been pretty good most of the time. If our top 6 don't fire in India, it could get uglier than Bronwyn Bishop in a G-string :)

Get rid of Lyon +Maddison bring in Head +Zampa
Bring back Neville
Swap Bird for Cummins
Stop Ponting + Clarke like captaincy, show a bit of flair and have a happy xmas + a merry new year

Dude, we're not England. Baggy Greens aren't handed out like Halloween candy

Since 2010, the following cricketers have made their Test debut and played 5 or less Tests (excluding players currently in the Team);

Tim Paine, Peter George, Xavier Doherty, Michael Beer, Trent Copeland, Pat Cummins, Rob Quiney, Jon Hastings, Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, Ashton Agar, James Faulkner, George Bailey, Alex Doolen, Steven O'Keefe, Jon Holland, Callum Ferguson.

There's some hard luck stories there -- like Cummins and Paine. And you would expect that a few guys, like Agar and Maxwell might still have a contribution to make in the future. But there are some seriously questionable selections there -- like Quiney, Hastings, George, Doherty, Beer, Henriques. Decent players, but pretty much everyone knew they weren't test standard, and no one was surprised they failed.

England, over the same period (and the same criteria);

Tredwell, Shazhad, Kerrigan, Borthwick, Rankin, Jake Ball, Ben Duckett, Zafar Ansari, Haseed Hameed.

If anyone is guilty of handing out Test caps like candy, it's us... not England.

Surely were not considering a all-rounder at 6, god haven't we learn't.

If one of the fast bowlers struggle to get up for next test, bring in Sayers.

Get rid of Lyon +Maddison bring in Head +Zampa
Bring back Neville
Swap Bird for Cummins
Stop Ponting + Clarke like captaincy, show a bit of flair and have a happy xmas + a merry new year

Cummins isn't ready for starters and Zampa is awful at Shield level (averages over 50).

Cummins isn't ready for starters and Zampa is awful at Shield level (averages over 50).
agree but do the pakistanis know that, 450 against our best is not much to be worse than' Australia seem to never veer far from the norm.

agree but do the pakistanis know that, 450 against our best is not much to be worse than' Australia seem to never veer far from the norm.

You don't risk a bloke who hasn't played a Shield game in 5 years. Way to break him down again. Zampa is ordinary at Shield level, you recon Lyon bowls darts, watch Zampa!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we finally have more than 1 batsman with an ounce of a clue against spinners in our top 6 and it shows. Handscomb should have been in the side a year ago and Voges out.
Agree Voges should've been given the arse after the ashes one of the biggest frauds of all time

I'm a big fan of Hilton Cartwright, great to see him added. Is the best all-rounder in the country.

I'm not sure he can be described as an "all-rounder" when he only bowls c.10 overs a match for an average of 1 wicket at 40.

Which is not to say he might not be able to bat at 6 and give the fast bowlers the occasional 2 or 3 over break, if he only goes at his usual rate of 3 or 4 an over.

I'm not sure he can be described as an "all-rounder" when he only bowls c.10 overs a match for an average of 1 wicket at 40.

Which is not to say he might not be able to bat at 6 and give the fast bowlers the occasional 2 or 3 over break, if he only goes at his usual rate of 3 or 4 an over.
He wouldn't be used as a wicket taker.

Who?

That's it, I'm done!!!

24 yo WA all-rounder.

Averages 44 at First Class level. Averaged 68 last season, 37 this season.

So better average than Maddinson, and a better bowler who will get more than 2 overs.

The other all-rounder options are James Faulkner (probably a better bowler, but only 1 FC ton in 59 matches compared to Cartwrights 2 in 16), Mitch Marsh (not properly fit, out of form), Ashton Turner (they want a pace option for team balance), I guess Travis Head is the same as Turner, and non-bowling options like Shaun Marsh (injured) and Kurtis Patterson (similar enough to Maddinson).

I'd say this is a reasonable selection, considering the teams needs, 'talent', and current form and records.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back