Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Batsmen - Same top 7 as last test. Wade will want to score runs straight up or will find himself under a bit of pressure. Burns may find himself in the firing line if he really struggles or Maddinson hits the ground running in the shield and the selectors are willing play him as an opener - he has opened plenty over the years, including a bit in the last two seasons so there is no reason that isn't a viable option.

To be honest, I think it will be a pretty straight forward selection debate for the first test.
Well so much for a pretty straight forward selection meeting - Pucovski has certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons.

From the noise coming out the Australian camp it feels like they are sticking with Burns but he'll need to be in the runs straight away. Personally I'd pick the youngster.

Wade will have done enough to hold his #6 spot, but the situation remains no different for him in regards to needing runs. Both Burns and Pucosvki could bat #6 and he's also got young Green in the mix so Wade has a numbers of challengers for his position.

Just on a side note, i finally got around to watching 'The Test' - FMD that was a great series. Really good insight into a lot players - i actually came out liking Mitch Marsh, which says alot
That's the thing about Mitch, people can have a crack at him for underperforming in Test cricket, but at the core he's a ripper bloke. Probably helps explain why they've been so keen on going him so many chances.

I must have missed the game where QLD played against Victoria on the roads the Vics have played on. Dont think anyone can disagree that the Vics have played on roads in both games.
Basically every pitch has been a road.

I mean even Renshaw tonned up

Neser and Pierson did too lol

But apparently Joe Burns didn't play on flat wickets lol

Playing Burns almost makes be wish Bancroft the dud was in the squad!

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's the thing about Mitch, people can have a crack at him for underperforming in Test cricket, but at the core he's a ripper bloke. Probably helps explain why they've been so keen on going him so many chances.

Was great to get a behind scenes look at players personalities, relationships, player meetings, coaches meetings. Langer seems very extreme and would be hard work eventually - so full on.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

That’s very touching but not really relevant. It’s called test match cricket not test match getting around the boys.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)

I feel kind of bad for Mitch because he basically seems like a decent guy who has become a symbol of public frustration with the selectors.

The worst part is that he doesn't seem to fully realise why there tends to be a lot of hostility surrounding his selection for Tests, and so instead appears to have taken the criticism somewhat personally.

Is you had to pick a combined XI who makes it?
In Australia:

Pujara
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Kohli
Rahane
Pant (+)
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Bumrah

In India:

Pujara
Agarwal
Labuschagne
Smith
Kohli
Rahane
Pant (+)
Jadeja
Cummins
Lyon
Bumrah

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond

Not many people get to keep their job for being a good bloke, usually being competent is the primary determinant. Your right that it probably explains why, although that it itself is ******* baffling.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
The obvious thing to me would be to play Pucovski at 6 and wade misses out.

Why is the obvious answer to replace the better performing batsman? Wade has been solid enough in tests over the past 12 months and scored 209 runs from 4 innings in the opening shield rounds. Both claims Burns can't make.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Why is the obvious answer to replace the better performing batsman? Wade has been solid enough in tests over the past 12 months and scored 209 runs from 4 innings in the opening shield rounds. Both claims Burns can't make.

I just think the best thing for Pucovski's career would be to start at number 6. Especially against this Indian team. If they were playing the West Indies or the Pakistan teenagers, I'd agree to just get him in opening.

I'm not defending Burns, I don't think he or Wade will be in the team for much longer.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I just think the best thing for Pucovski's career would be to start at number 6. Especially against this Indian team. If they were playing the West Indies or the Pakistan teenagers, I'd agree to just get him in opening.

I'm not defending Burns, I don't think he or Wade will be in the team for much longer.

Fair enough reasoning. It's just slightly more complex because I feel dropping Wade isn't the obvious answer answer. I don't know how to re-jig that lineup though because nobody else is an opener. Can't imagine a Wade/Warner combo thriving unless it was an ODI or T20.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair enough reasoning. It's just slightly more complex because I feel dropping Wade isn't the obvious answer answer. I don't know how to re-jig that lineup though because nobody else is an opener. Can't imagine a Wade/Warner combo thriving unless it was an ODI or T20.

It is irrelevant because the Test squad is already there, but I would have Harris opening and Pucovski at six. They just need an opener who can hold up an end for a while as to not to expose marnus or smith too early.

Opening against India and then South Africa (in SAF) is an enormous ask for a rookie.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Well so much for a pretty straight forward selection meeting - Pucovski has certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons.

From the noise coming out the Australian camp it feels like they are sticking with Burns but he'll need to be in the runs straight away. Personally I'd pick the youngster.

Wade will have done enough to hold his #6 spot, but the situation remains no different for him in regards to needing runs. Both Burns and Pucosvki could bat #6 and he's also got young Green in the mix so Wade has a numbers of challengers for his position.

I don't think Wade has scored enough test runs to date but he will scrap it out and I think Smith would be strongly in his corner. He gives Smith and Lab someone reliable to bat with.

I couldn't see them dropping him for Burns or Pucovski.

I don't know the schedule but as soon as we spend some time in the field chasing leather they will look for the all rounder for the chop out, particularly if there are any back to back tests. That's when they will pull the trigger on Green and it would be 50/50 on whether Wade or Head make way and I think would be pretty much down to runs scored in the series.

The strong backing of Burns is irrational for mine but hopefully Pucovski has a massive tour game and allows them to save a bit of face on a backflip. The thing that makes the Burns thing strangest to me is that they've dropped him like a hot spud a couple of times when he has gone ok and we haven't had an obvious option. Now he is going like a busted, we have an obvious option and they are digging in publically behind him.

Back