Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind seeing Pucovski open for Victoria in these couple of games. With Green performing well there's probably not a middle order spot in the Aussie side, whereas Burns is looking shaky at the top. Puc bats 3 which is basically opening anyway. He could open in the Test side. Marnus is only 26, every chance he can lockdown number 3 for the next half a decade. With Smith at 4, there's limited middle order spots.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pucovski open for Victoria in these couple of games. With Green performing well there's probably not a middle order spot in the Aussie side, whereas Burns is looking shaky at the top. Puc bats 3 which is basically opening anyway. He could open in the Test side. Marnus is only 26, every chance he can lockdown number 3 for the next half a decade. With Smith at 4, there's limited middle order spots.
Puck would probably be 5th in line to open

Puck would probably be 5th in line to open

They want him in the test side though, if Green replaces Wade it’s the one slot that’s potentially available. They might have him jump the queue

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
If 3 is basically opening could we make Marnus open :think: :)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Wade didn't set the world on fire last home summer. To be fair, he didn't get a whole heap of opportunities because the top order was dominant, but he didn't look very comfortable against Wagner (bit like Hodge when he got dropped). If he makes a good score in the next two shield games he probably should start the Test series, but Green's making an irresistable case if he doesn't.
I don’t rate Wade as a Test bat at all but don’t think he’s done anything to warrant getting dropped. That said, I love the look of Green and will get behind him if picked. Just think they can afford to wait.

Listed as an opener for the first Shield game. Wonder if that's a CA directive.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t rate Wade as a Test bat at all but don’t think he’s done anything to warrant getting dropped. That said, I love the look of Green and will get behind him if picked. Just think they can afford to wait.

Wade hasn't set the world on fire either. If struggles at the start of the indian series i could see him being dropped mid series.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Wade hasn't set the world on fire either. If struggles at the start of the indian series i could see him being dropped mid series.

I'm a huge Wade fan but I agree. He offers some grunt, spirit, resistance and stability but rarely big scores. Eventually (and at his age) his time will be up because of this.

He's the solider you want in your side though at the beginning of a series when it's hot. Especially against India when it's generally pretty hot. Last time he played against India was as a keeper over there in 2017. Posted some 40's and a half century and looked solid in some pretty tough conditions.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

Surely you open with Pucovski and Warner now, after today's knock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Definitely the most solid batting stocks we've had for several years. Warner, Marnus, Smith, Head and Paine are all obvious. Just the opening spot and number six with question marks. Wade has been solid and against India, his experience and fighting game probably keeps him in. Green is coming with momentum though so it still wouldn't surprise me if they went that way.

Pucovski would have to be a real chance to take Burns spot. Fair chance that getting him to open was a directive from above and he looks a cut above at Shield level. Burns would want some runs soon. I'd give Puc the nod.

Pucovski
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

While I share the enthusiasm of wanting to see the likes and Green and Pucovski playing for Australia, unless there are a few unforeseen injuries/unavailability of the current incumbents (i.e. Burns/Harris/Head/Wade) I seriously doubt we will see either represent the country in any format this summer...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Excited about Pucovski obviously, but think Harris gets the gig ahead of him. I get the feeling he'll take his game to another level under Rogers wing.

Would prefer to see Pukovski come in at 5 or 6 when the chance comes, although there another handy kid tthat may also want that spot.

Exciting times for Aussie cricket.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Excited about Pucovski obviously, but think Harris gets the gig ahead of him. I get the feeling he'll take his game to another level under Rogers wing.

Would prefer to see Pukovski come in at 5 or 6 when the chance comes, although there another handy kid tthat may also want that spot.

Exciting times for Aussie cricket.
Harris
Warner
Lab
Smith
Wade
Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
After watching Green bowl just eight overs today and Wade throw away a century..Green should be in for the first test

Green got tremendous bounce got Silk with a snorter and had Mcdermott and Wade jumping around

His bounce and pace will be great against the indians.

I would love to see both Will and green in

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
It is laughable to suggest Pucovski as a test opener having batted there precisely once at FC level. Kid's got huge talent, and I'm confident in his potential as a test batter, but let him settle in that spot first before throwing him to the wolves against one of the best attacks in world cricket.

Warner is 34, has maybe a year left. Pucovski should be gunning for that spot.

Back