Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
now the domestic season has started, i'd thought i'd get your thoughts on the 1st test team of the summer.

is it straight forward and shield form won't matter ? (all things being equal and everyone fit and available).

1.Warner
2.Burns ***
3.Labuschagne
4.Smith
5/6.Wade***
5/6.Head***
7.Paine
8.Cummins
9.Starc
10.Lyon
11.Hazlewood

I think the bowling quartet is set regardless what Pattinson, Neser, J.Richardson, Agar. and anyone else produce.

Warner, Labuschagne, Smith & Paine also pick themselves.

Burns, Wade & Head all have the front running for the remaining 3 spots in the side and rightly so. Even these guys will be hard pressed to be nudged out.

*Not real sure who could replace Burns .
- This seems to be Khawaja's only way back for now before father time catches him.
- Harris, Bancroft & Renshaw have all played approx 10 tests each and only 1 ton between them. In any case Renshaw isn't opening at the moment.
As there are no real other candidates Burn's form would only need to be moderate.

*If Wade isn't picked it's the end of the road for him, but again is the incumbent.
*Head will be hard to displace as he is currently the national vice captain.
Batsmen on the first class scene averaging 40+ are scarce. Patterson & Pucovski have been thereabouts but don't have any recent claims.
An allrounder type could be tried at some point this summer, but it is only a 4 test summer and isn't as taxing and Melb/Syd aren't exactly back to back tests this summer.
M.Marsh has been tried time and time again, Stoinis has been close, Green is emerging and looks the goods and Maxwell hasn't been given a chance on home soil.

The only other contracted players are Finch, K.Richardson, Zampa who all seem to be well behind the pack and Carey & Agar in no man's land because of the role they play.

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
Warner, Burns/Khawaja, Marnus, Smith, head, Wade, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood

Pattinson is stiff I rate him a lot but I think you have to go with the 3 Cummins, Starc and hoff

of course he is, he hasn't done alot wrong though and he doesn't really have any stiff competition at the minute does he ?
I think Green at 6 would be great if he keeps making Shield runs. Pucovski could be introduced down the order too if his head is in the right space.

Ogrebait

All Australian
Jan 29, 2008
Paul's Boutique
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the next openers in line would be Nic Maddinson and Jake Weatherald.
Pucovski would have to be in pole position - health and injury permitted - if a spot opens up for a middle-order bat.
I could see M.Marsh or Green considered but only as genuine all-rounders, ergo they'd have to be fully fit and bowling well.

Last edited:

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pucovski would have to be in pole position - health and injury permitted - if a spot opens up for a middle-order bat.
I could see M.Marsh or Green considered but only as genuine all-rounders, ergo they'd have to be fully fit and bowling well.

Weatherald desperately needs to turns his non 100 innings in to 30-50 scores regularly. He has to be one of the rocks or diamonds players I've ever seen. If history repeats this season he will make 3 matches of sub 20 scores now.

Dan Hughes is one that seems to be overlooked, he's generally been consistent without been brilliant which has probably hurt his chances, he has never had that 4 or 5 match period averaging 70 leading in to selection like guys like Harris and Bancroft to put his name in lights.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
I'd go in with:
Burns, Warner, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Wade, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood
for the first test and probably the whole series barring injury. Then re-assess for our away tour of South Africa, whoever has been performing in the shield should be taken in addition to that incumbent XI.

If you’d be willing to consider Maddison and Weatherald in the Test side I don’t see why Green couldn’t be picked as a batsman rather than an all rounder.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably the most worthless leadership position in world sport.

He’s very replaceable.

Somehow I think his current average of 42 and his century three innings ago will make him harder to drop than his vice-captaincy

He's not a world beater but he's done nothing to deserve the spear yet

Anyone that doesn't have Maddinson as next in line batsman with a bullet is doing it wrong.

Since moving to Victoria he's made 1343 runs at 83.9 with 5 tons and 7 fifties from 18 innings'. Green had a very impressive debut season but Maddinson has to be next in line if Burns, Head or Wade fail to make the side.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone that doesn't have Maddinson as next in line batsman with a bullet is doing it wrong.

Since moving to Victoria he's made 1343 runs at 83.9 with 5 tons and 7 fifties from 18 innings'. Green had a very impressive debut season but Maddinson has to be next in line if Burns, Head or Wade fail to make the side.
Certainly in the middle. I am a little iffy about him as an opener at test level.

Certainly in the middle. I am iffy about him as an opener at test level.
There are no other openers putting their hand up at the moment. He's the next in line there for me.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not confident in any of Burns, Head or Wade, but all have done enough to justify selection first up and no one has demanded their spot. I'd certainly like to see guys like Pucovski and Green come good so we can start looking at additional quality into the future.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There are no other openers putting their hand up at the moment. He's the next in line there for me.
I get that, but in the 10 matches you have mentioned he has played for Victoria, he has only opened in 4 of them. I'd want to see him opening permanently for the Vics first. Not sure we will see that happen while Dean is there.

Last edited:

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Somehow I think his current average of 42 and his century three innings ago will make him harder to drop than his vice-captaincy

He's not a world beater but he's done nothing to deserve the spear yet

Agreed, all be it I think he needs to convert more at first class level, Head's position wouldn't even be in doubt at the moment it's just people feeling that if they say enough it might come true.

The only real question is if we play an all rounder over Wade.

The only real question is if we play an all rounder over Wade.

Not unless they can say they are in the top 6-8 bats in the country. We went this route with Mitch Marsh picking a dead set dud 6 just because he can bowl. You are basically playing with 5 bats and it's not as if Paine is some Gilchrist with the bat either! They have to be able to genuinely and I mean genuinely bat in the top 6. Who are you advocating for...Agar can't he's an 8...Neser can't he's an 8...Green is the only one and he's not bowling yet!

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Not unless they can say they are in the top 6-8 bats in the country. We went this route with Mitch Marsh picking a dead set dud 6 just because he can bowl. You are basically playing with 5 bats and it's not as if Paine is some Gilchrist with the bat either! They have to be able to genuinely and I mean genuinely bat in the top 6. Who are you advocating for...Agar can't he's an 8...Neser can't he's an 8...Green is the only one and he's not bowling yet!

I'd agree with that. I think Labuschagne is good enough to be the 5th bowler as required. It's not as if it is a long gruelling summer and I think they are better off rotating the quicks off for a match rather than playing a bowling alrounder to lessen the load.

I'd agree with that. I think Labuschagne is good enough to be the 5th bowler as required. It's not as if it is a long gruelling summer and I think they are better off rotating the quicks off for a match rather than playing a bowling alrounder to lessen the load.
And Wade's seamers aren't the worst

Yep if they need a break bring Nesser in as a bowler or whatever

Back