Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

He may have some good stats on the board but that doesn’t mean he’s ahead of anyone in the selectors’ minds. They may have put a line through him for all we know. He certainly wasn’t ahead of Pucovski last season.
He was picked in both Aus A sides against Pakistan and the English Lions last season (withdrew himself out of the Pak match) so don't think there is a line through him.

He was picked in both Aus A sides against Pakistan and the English Lions last season (withdrew himself out of the Pak match) so don't think there is a line through him.
That’s fair, just saying we have no idea if his numbers put him ahead of Pucovski or Green in the selectors’ minds. They may decide those two have more raw talent. I’m neither for or against Maddinson, don’t see him outside of scorecards, though I have bad memories of his last time in National colours.

Whiteman throwing his hat into the ring
He really isn't. Has struggled for years. Good to see him coming good with the bat for us early this season, but I very much doubt he's in the frame as a batsman and he doesn't even keep for WA any more. Would need a year or more of this to even factor in, I'd think.

What has happened to Hilton Cartwright feel like he’s fallen by the way side. Not even getting a game for WA.

Someone give me a reason why Green shouldn't be batting at 6 in the Test side this summer. Getting hard to argue against.

For me, the thing with Green that's more impressive than the sheer volume of runs is the way he's scored them.

Couple of his hundreds last year were when WA was in massive trouble, this latest hundred he's not had it all his own way but stuck through and go to the other side. He shot selection is terrific, his defense solid, his on-side shots are ridiculous and he already has a clear method for batting in his own head. Scary scary talent and I cant wait to have this lug coming in at 6 for Australia scoring 100's and taking 5-fers

I personally think it should be
1. Warner
2. Street/Burns/Whiteman (in that order)
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
10. Lyon (assuming he is healthy)
11. Hazlewood
12th. Starc
The 4 fast bowlers will rotate depending who is healthy but I have opted for Starc being the 4th choice. I honestly think James Pattinson is a better bowler. Starc is often too inconsistent with his line and length while Pattinson is much better at it. Starc does provide variety with being a left armer so it doesn't bother me who we select from the 4, just has to be from that 4.

I want to see Bryce Street. Is it premature throwing him in the deep end against India, yes but I think he is our opener for the next decade and why not play him. He seems to be in reasonable form. If you want to protect Bryce Street, go for Whiteman or Burns and debut him in a later series. Preferably Burns as he is very strong defensively and Warner likes him.

Assuming Green is ready to bowl, I think we select him at 6. Been batting amazingly and has a great bowling average when he was bowling a few years back. We have genuinely found our all rounder and I'm very keen to see him in action

On a side note, feels bad for Sayers, Neser & Richardson. All 3 would be playing for any other country but can't get in due to our bowling talent at the top as I genuinely believe we have 4 of the best 10 fast bowlers in the world, with 2 of the top 3.

1. Warner
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
11. Hazlewood
12th. Starc
The 4 fast bowlers will rotate depending who is healthy but I have opted for Starc being the 4th choice. I honestly think James Pattinson is a better bowler. Starc is often too inconsistent with his line and length while Pattinson is much better at it. Starc does provide variety with being a left armer so it doesn't bother me who we select from the 4, just has to be from that 4.

I want to see Bryce Street. Is it premature throwing him in the deep end against India, yes but I think he is our opener for the next decade and why not play him. He seems to be in reasonable form. If you want to protect Bryce Street, go for Whiteman or Burns and debut him in a later series. Preferably Burns as he is very strong defensively and Warner likes him.

Assuming Green is ready to bowl, I think we select him at 6. Been batting amazingly and has a great bowling average when he was bowling a few years back. We have genuinely found our all rounder and I'm very keen to see him in action

On a side note, feels bad for Sayers, Neser & Richardson. All 3 would be playing for any other country but can't get in due to our bowling talent at the top as I genuinely believe we have 4 of the best 10 fast bowlers in the world, with 2 of the top 3.
Like the side except for Head who I have misgivings about.

Someone give me a reason why Green shouldn't be batting at 6 in the Test side this summer. Getting hard to argue against.
Because there are seasoned players in the team ahead of him and he has to demand selection.
I think he will become an amazing player for Australia over the next decade and I cant wait to see him play in the baggy green. However I think it is in his and Australia's best interests that the likes of Head and Wade continue to have good innings in the Test team while Green kicks down the door with hundred after hundred in the Shield until such time as he overtakes one of those 2 and comes into the team on shear weight of runs (and some wickets if his back is up to it). He is still very young and I think treading that hard path will be better for him in the long run. When he does get his chance he will dominate. Maybe it will be this summer, especially if Wade has a couple of bad games but not first up.

Because there are seasoned players in the team ahead of him and he has to demand selection.
I think he will become an amazing player for Australia over the next decade and I cant wait to see him play in the baggy green. However I think it is in his and Australia's best interests that the likes of Head and Wade continue to have good innings in the Test team while Green kicks down the door with hundred after hundred in the Shield until such time as he overtakes one of those 2 and comes into the team on shear weight of runs (and some wickets if his back is up to it). He is still very young and I think treading that hard path will be better for him in the long run. When he does get his chance he will dominate. Maybe it will be this summer, especially if Wade has a couple of bad games but not first up.
Yeah as much as I want him in, Wade has earned first rights at this stage.

Wade/Head would want to keep making runs though, especially if Green scores another 50/100 and takes some wickets in the last two matches in the hub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wade/Head would want to keep making runs though, especially if Green scores another 50/100 and takes some wickets in the last two matches in the hub
And that's what I want to see. I want our top end talent to go through what the likes of Matt Hayden and co did 25 years ago and build their resilience and technique in shield until they forced their way into a team that was already performing. Wade probably hasn't got long left at Test level but I want him to push all the up and comers and make them earn it.

Because he's 21 and has time ahead of him. And has only just cracked 1,000 FC runs for his career. Give him another full season at least, let him deal with more and more time being put into him, maybe a lean patch or two, and he'll be all the better for it.

1. Warner
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
11. Hazlewood
12th. Starc

I don’t think Street is ready just yet. Completely agree with the rest though, I really hope one day Pattinson forces his way ahead of Starc because I think he’s more consistent and he brings a fierce edge he also has a knack of picking up big wickets.

If he goes on to make a double hundred tomorrow (against a strong NSW lineup including the GOAT), coupled with his previous season's efforts, I think that qualifies for 'banging the door down'. Sometimes you have to pick young talent when in form. If he thrives in test cricket, then fantastic. If he struggles, well he has time on his side to go back and work on what he needs to before getting another crack at it.

1. Warner
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
11. Hazlewood
12th. Starc

Street is nowhere near the side and Whiteman needs to do it for longer to be a legitimate contender.

Street gets bogged down against First Class level, against Bumrah, Shami and B Kumar he'll get bogged down like nobody else. He is not ready, that's just a stone cold fact. I think he'll be next in line a few years from now, but for now? Nah

Street is going to be really good, but he needs at least a season or 2 in the shield to work out ways to get off strike more frequently before he is considered at test level.

Head is way ahead of Wade. Not sure why people throw both names around as if their age/ performances are on par.

Doesn't matter if you are 21 or 30 plus...if you are scoring runs you deserve to be picked age should not come into it

Is Green one of the best six bats atm in the country....the answer is yes....so pick him

Doesn't matter if you are 21 or 30 plus...if you are scoring runs you deserve to be picked age should not come into it

Is Green one of the best six bats atm in the country....the answer is yes....so pick him

I'd pick Green over Wade but I don't agree with this. I think you have to do a bit more when you are 30. I think you get less chances.

I'd pick Green over Wade but I don't agree with this. I think you have to do a bit more when you are 30. I think you get less chances.

Yeah yes and no the media tend to crap on age a lot and when they are getting older less chances etc

It also works both ways in terms of age if they are young they can get dropped if they stuff up and can come back blah blah blah

For me it comes down to form ( the past 12 months especially) and what is your best six bats at this present moment to win the test against India come dec....age means stuff all....form is all that counts for me

If he goes on to make a double hundred tomorrow (against a strong NSW lineup including the GOAT), coupled with his previous season's efforts, I think that qualifies for 'banging the door down'. Sometimes you have to pick young talent when in form. If he thrives in test cricket, then fantastic. If he struggles, well he has time on his side to go back and work on what he needs to before getting another crack at it.
That's a valid point but I think you also need to show faith in the guys there producing results. If there was an opening then sure bring him in like they did with Bancroft. Otherwise you have to give Head and Wade the opportunity they have earned over many seasons.
If Green posts a double then goes on and makes a couple more significant innings in the next few games and Wade or Head fail in the 1st and 2nd tests then bring him in.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back