Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

I just don’t see what the issue is. You play men’s cricket or women’s it’s like when the did away with woman of the match or man of the match in favour of player of the match
The way you do it is fine to me, but I have a problem with those who call Steve Smith a batsman and Meg Lanning a batter.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Matthew Wade has a Test average of 31 across 30 tests, let's not pretend its Bradman holding Green out.

Wade has essentially played his test cricket in two distinct phases. First as a keeper where he averaged bugger all and second as a batsman where he made 500odd runs at 38 last year. Still not Bradman as you say but an important point.

While I would probably pick Green with the proviso that if he is bowled more than 4 overs on the trot and ~20 in the match then the captain is summilary executed post-match, I don't think he will get picked without Wade having a s**t couple of tests. If Wade had done what Burns has done in shield so far this year it might be different.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
If only selection was that easy. It’s a much more complicated beast than that. To be fair. The worst thing for Wills career could be to get picked now on a couple of good matches. He needs long sustained form to build confidence that will be resilient enough in the rigorous test arena.
Im not convinced he will be able to cope with the time away from home to be honest.

Selection is only as complicated as you want to make it. If they thought he was ready to debut in the past two summers then he is definitely ready now.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
so hangon, langer has strongly hinted that he wants the same side and that burns will be retained ahead of the likes of pucovski.

so why is there no talk of pattinson retaining his spot, afterall he did play in the last test we played.

bring back hazlewood ;)

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
so hangon, langer has strongly hinted that he wants the same side and that burns will be retained ahead of the likes of pucovski.

so why is there no talk of pattinson retaining his spot, afterall he did play in the last test we played.

bring back hazlewood ;)

Even bloody Ponting saying you can’t change a winning team yet is dropping Pattinson

Just more anti Victorian garbage from all 3 😉

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Even bloody Ponting saying you can’t change a winning team yet is dropping Pattinson

Just more anti Victorian garbage from all 3 😉

of course you can.

2019 v Sri Lanka : Burns, Harris, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Head, Patterson, Paine, Cummins, Starc, J.Richardson, Lyon
2019 v England : Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Smith, Head, Wade, Paine, Pattinson, Cummins, Siddle, Lyon

6 changes and we won both test matches.

Burns and Patterson made tons and Starc got 10 fa and man of the match and was dropped.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
here is another:
2006 v Bang : Hayden, Jacques, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Gilchrist, Warne, Gillespie, Lee, Cullen, MacGill
2006 v Eng : Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Hussey, Clarke, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Clark, McGrath

Dropped ; Jacques, Cullen, MacGill and Gillespie after man of the match and a double ton - again we won both matches.

Here is a ripper though, this contained a loss and a draw - 8 changes and these tests were played 24 days apart (I'm not sure this can be beaten in the modern era by an Aussie team).

1979 v India : Hilditch, Yallop, Border, Hughes, Whatmore, Darling, Wright, Sleep, Dymock, Hogg, Higgs
1979 v WI : Laird, McCosker, Border, Chappell, Hughes, Hookes, Marsh, Bright, Lillee, Hogg, Thomson

(only Border, Hughes & Hogg retained).

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
here is another:
2006 v Bang : Hayden, Jacques, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Gilchrist, Warne, Gillespie, Lee, Cullen, MacGill
2006 v Eng : Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Hussey, Clarke, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Clark, McGrath

Dropped ; Jacques, Cullen, MacGill and Gillespie after man of the match and a double ton - again we won both matches.

Here is a ripper though, this contained a loss and a draw - 8 changes and these tests were played 24 days apart (I'm not sure this can be beaten in the modern era by an Aussie team).

1979 v India : Hilditch, Yallop, Border, Hughes, Whatmore, Darling, Wright, Sleep, Dymock, Hogg, Higgs
1979 v WI : Laird, McCosker, Border, Chappell, Hughes, Hookes, Marsh, Bright, Lillee, Hogg, Thomson

We went to South Africa between the 2006 Bangladesh and England series.

FWIW the team was Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Hussey, Symonds, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Kasprowicz, Clark.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
we were in SA before the Bang series - thats why Langer wasn't playing in Bang - was concussed in SA.

My bad. Yea dropping Gillespie for Kasprowicz didn’t make much sense. The other way around makes more sense. Although Gillespie playing ahead of Stuart Clark in 2006 made just as little sense. Guess it kind of worked though - Gillespie was man of match (for his batting).

I agree that you should avoid changing a winning team, however when it’s been nearly 12 months since the team played current form is what you look at.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
here is another:

How did you research this??!

Guys Langer knows what he is doing, he'll put the boy in when he confident he's ready.

This is the same bloke that played Aaron Finch as a test opener right...or Bancroft...or actually rates the Marsh boys right?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Puckovski has to play. I don't care what Langer has to say about Burns but the young man simply needs to start.

In form, making bug runs, his counterpart is struggling and should young Will struggle then you can always go back to the well (Burns).

If you play Burns, he struggles, replace him with Puckovski and he struggles, then who do you turn to?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Puckovski has to play. I don't care what Langer has to say about Burns but the young man simply needs to start.

In form, making bug runs, his counterpart is struggling and should young Will struggle then you can always go back to the well (Burns).

If you play Burns, he struggles, replace him with Puckovski and he struggles, then who do you turn to?

More to the point, if Burns does "just" enough and Puckovski is actually the second coming, we keep him out until when?

South Africa? Next Summer?

The Ashes are next summer and our eye and priority should be on them. Giving Puckovski the calendar year to become a settled test batsman should be close to the selectors #1 priority.

We shouldn't be blooding debutants in next years Ashes if we don't have to.

The same applies to Green, at a minimum he should be given at least 1 or 2 tests this summer to prepare for South Africa and then England next summer.

Back