Opinion 1st Week of Trade Week a Dud

Remove this Banner Ad

A club in finals contention could then trade in players from non-finalists , then trade them back after the finals finish.
Would make the finals much more of a best-of-the-best.
I actually hate this about other sports leagues

It's just bullshit that cashed-up clubs in premiership contention can bolster their list by adding a star player on a short term deal
e.g the f**kin Yankees adding the star pitcher to their roster from one of the minnows who need the cash. That sucks...

The premiership should be a test of list/club/player supremacy for the whole season.

I grudgingly accept late additions via the mid-season draft because these involve fairytale stories for overlooked lesser players who can get onto an AFL list to fill a gap caused by an injury or an unforseen retirement. Shaun Grigg & Marlion Pickett was a great story. I'm sure there will be others.

But imagine in 2016 if the Bulldogs were denied their first flag in 60 years because the top-of-the-ladder Swans signed Nat Fyfe for a 3 month/$30,000 deal and he went on to dominate the finals and then returned to Freo once he was done. F**k that. It just cheapens the premiership, IMO.

Last edited:
The premiership should be a test of list/club/player supremacy for the whole season.

Should be. But never is. Ever.
Bulldogs flag is the best example of it not being a test of who was the best for whole season. They just got white hot at the right time.

At the other end of the scale is Crows 2017. Dominated all year. Then capitulated at the last hurdle.
Poor Crows will take a while to recover from that one.

Imagine if the Bulldogs were denied their first flag in 60 years because the top-of-the-ladder Swans signed Nat Fyfe for a 3 month/$30,000 deal and he went on to dominate the finals and return to Freo when he was done.

2 words.
Salary cap.
Zero sum game. If you trade in a gun then you have to trade someone out. Sure you could get rid of all your potatoes but only on Bigfooty trade threads do 5 potatoes = 1 gun.

If they lowered the minimum cap spend to 75% it would allow minnow clubs to save up all their cookies while they are out of contention so that when the time comes they have a genuine war chest to get players from other teams. The more successful clubs won't have the $$$ to ward off raids from cashed up minnow clubs.

Weird this trade week has been so slow. There's still a good 20-odd players that are thinking of leaving but haven't yet. Usually by now we'd at least see a lot of movement even if the more complex deals haven't gone down. Is every deal this year either overly complex or not a massive concern?

With the player swap trade period ending in prime time I wonder how many deals deliberately get held over and announced at the very end.....

Every year I post this in basically the same thread (normally has a slightly different title). The trade period is not for our entertainment.

Explain why clubs can't lodge trades until 3pm today.

It is 100% about entertainment. And there is absolutely no need for the period to be this long.

Explain why clubs can't lodge trades until 3pm today.

It is 100% about entertainment. And there is absolutely no need for the period to be this long.

It's about ratings, advertising $$$ & stringing along all die-hard AFL fans for as long as possible, in treating them all like suckers.....That's what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back