Opinion 2-2-2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbo might be next cab off the rank. The way he throws himself around must take off years. I know he won the B&F but at times this year I thought he had lost a little zip off the mark and was caught more than in the past. As others have said, sadly Silk is probably the one to head off with him.

Spang is a KP player we need until the likes of Brand and Heatherly come on, I doubt it will be him.

Mitch and Hodge possibly 2017 might be the end of a glorious era for these two.

Sam Mitchell keeps getting better with age. Proving the doubters wrong and producing the best football of his career at 33 years of age in 2015 and polling 26 Brownlow votes making him the third highest Brownlow medal vote getter of all-time. Considering how durable he is, he's capable of playing for another 3 years.

He's not your typical crash and bash type inside midfielder, rather he's a highly skilled genius with the footy who's small body is well suited for the modern game and by using Mitchell across half back for long periods has prolonged his career. Sam Mitchell needs to play 21 games in 2016 and he becomes Hawthorn's third highest ever games record holder.

Michael Tuck: 426 games
Leigh Matthews: 332 games
Shane Crawford: 305 games
Chris Langford: 303 games
Don Scott: 302 games
Kelvin Moore: 300 games
Sam Mitchell: 285 games

Last edited:

Sam Mitchell keeps getting better with age. Proving the doubters wrong and producing the best football of his career at 33 years of age in 2015 and polling 26 Brownlow votes making him the third highest Brownlow medal vote getter of all-time. Considering how durable he is, he's capable of playing for another 3 years.

He's not your typical crash and bash type inside midfielder, rather he's a highly skilled genius with the footy who's small body is well suited for the modern game and by using Mitchell across half back for long periods has prolonged his career. Sam Mitchell needs to play 21 games in 2016 and he becomes Hawthorn's third highest ever games record holder.

Thank Ratten for that. It was his idea.

My gut feeling is:

2016: Burgoyne, Gibson
2017: Mitchell, Hodge

Im pretty sure Burgoyne will retire after this year, and Gibson was looking pretty slow at times this year, just shows how much we will miss him though after winning the PCM.

Hodge and Mitchell I think will be genuine year to year propositions. They have earned that. Mitchell is actually in career best form and has been since 2012. Has not diminished even slightly (apart from injuries in 2014). Hodge also looks the fittest he has in his whole career.

Cool

My gut feeling is:

2016: Burgoyne, Gibson
2017: Mitchell, Hodge

Im pretty sure Burgoyne will retire after this year, and Gibson was looking pretty slow at times this year, just shows how much we will miss him though after winning the PCM.

Hodge and Mitchell I think will be genuine year to year propositions. They have earned that. Mitchell is actually in career best form and has been since 2012. Has not diminished even slightly (apart from injuries in 2014). Hodge also looks the fittest he has in his whole career.
Given all four spend time down back our defence looks a bit crap soon. Maybe HB and HBF are more important than mids this year re the draft. Howe, Lithers and Heatherly need big years! Logical replacements to at least three of the above. That said only Howe seems to be a back/mid
I think I changed my mind mid post. Of course we need mids!!

its not his injury list situation im worried about, its his lack of impact on games in 2015....
Perhaps you should re-watch our games against the top 6 sides this year. He chooses when he needs to impact.

Was instrumental in the first half of the GF and one of the reasons the game was over up at half time.

An absolute f&$king jet @33

I reckon 2nd spot on that list is very realistic. 2 more full seasons or 3 more managed seasons. Having said that I think you'll find that Birchall goes past all of them bar Tuck in the end. If we keep making finals he could give 400 a shake I reckon.

Edit: just checked his age and games played. Is on 216 and is about to turn 28. I would give him 6 years left which would get him to 350-ish.

Last edited:
Can't see anyone retiring next year.
2017, i could see Gibbo and 1 of Spangher or Silk.

Hawthorn might push out Spang in 2017 and I reckon Silk will start showing signs of wear.
Gibbo i can see retiring. He is getting knocked and budged by large key forwards constantly and i know he keeps his body in good knick but i can guarantee that none of Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell or Roughead will retire before 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe take Harvey's game record when he takes it off Tucky next year.

I hope that doesnt happen.

Harvey isnt a pure footballer. He is just an annoying little receiver that thinks he is much better than he actually is.

His annoyance factor is pretty much his greatest benefit to Norf. I laugh when he gets all stroppy and starts chesting guys that are a foot taller than him and trying to intimidate them cause his skills cupboard is pretty much bare. Such a ******* and is not worthy of the AFL games record compared to MT.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Personally I think that the hard conversation has already been made with the players in their twilight. I don't think there is a chance at all that Mitch & Hodge are retired together... No way! The leadership drop off would be, I believe, to great to cover in a single season for continued success.
I also believe that Burgoyne is a given to retire & give every plaudits under the sun from Hawthorn & Port Adelaide for his contribution to the clubs & the game.
I have said in another thread that regardless if Hawthorn win another GF or not that Mitch is a sneaky chance to call it quits to have some time off with the family to then crack into coaching.
If Spang can't get fit & take CHB he will be nudged, same as Lake. Gibbo has another season & will be under preasure in 2017 as will Hodge, only because their body's will be starting to hurt with the way they play & age IS a factor with so many bangs & bumps.
2018 is interesting! A couple of players pop out for different reasons... As much as I would to see it Lewis could be in trouble along with Poppy.... This is more a list, as I see it now, decision. Poppy will be surpassed by a Durea, Miles type without a drop off if not an improvement by then. The toughest call for last... Lewis I feel will loose a step & as a result become frustrated to the point of continual form drop off only to see the Shiels, Langfords & O'Rourkes hitting their prime. Lewis has been a campaigner & will continue to fly the Hawthorn flag to the point where he might assume the spiritual leader role when Shiels is captain but this is where I think he will call it before the club does.
Completely personal reasons with pretty much nothing to back it up but there you go.

2016 - Silk, Spang (Mitch-- open ticket until he calls it though )

2017 - Gibbo, Hodge ( Mitch )

2018 - Poppy, Lewis ( Mitch )

2020 ---------------- ( Mitch )

Personally I think that the hard conversation has already been made with the players in their twilight. I don't think there is a chance at all that Mitch & Hodge are retired together... No way! The leadership drop off would be, I believe, to great to cover in a single season for continued success.
I also believe that Burgoyne is a given to retire & give every plaudits under the sun from Hawthorn & Port Adelaide for his contribution to the clubs & the game.
I have said in another thread that regardless if Hawthorn win another GF or not that Mitch is a sneaky chance to call it quits to have some time off with the family to then crack into coaching.
If Spang can't get fit & take CHB he will be nudged, same as Lake. Gibbo has another season & will be under preasure in 2017 as will Hodge, only because their body's will be starting to hurt with the way they play & age IS a factor with so many bangs & bumps.
2018 is interesting! A couple of players pop out for different reasons... As much as I would to see it Lewis could be in trouble along with Poppy.... This is more a list, as I see it now, decision. Poppy will be surpassed by a Durea, Miles type without a drop off if not an improvement by then. The toughest call for last... Lewis I feel will loose a step & as a result become frustrated to the point of continual form drop off only to see the Shiels, Langfords & O'Rourkes hitting their prime. Lewis has been a campaigner & will continue to fly the Hawthorn flag to the point where he might assume the spiritual leader role when Shiels is captain but this is where I think he will call it before the club does.
Completely personal reasons with pretty much nothing to back it up but there you go.

2016 - Silk, Spang (Mitch-- open ticket until he calls it though )

2017 - Gibbo, Hodge ( Mitch )

2018 - Poppy, Lewis ( Mitch )

2020 ---------------- ( Mitch )
Poppy and Doc play completely different positions/roles.....don't they?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

He wasn't great this year though was he?

Was he carrying an injury or was it the start of age related decline?
That's the weird thing about Jordi though. As Fages put it ' Jordan would be the first one to admit he didn't hit the heights of 2014 ' yet amazingly he averaged a career high 29 disposals a game up from 27 from 2014!! The one thing I noticed is that Jordi wasn't covering as much ground this year hence only 9 goals and not that many inside 50 marks or ground ball gets. His kicking gate seemed to be leaning back as he kicked and struggled to cover 50 meters with his kicks. He has had wrist surgery since but it seemed more than that. But I still think he is a star as numbers would suggest.

That's the weird thing about Jordi though. As Fages put it ' Jordan would be the first one to admit he didn't hit the heights of 2014 ' yet amazingly he averaged a career high 29 disposals a game up from 27 from 2014!! The one thing I noticed is that Jordi wasn't covering as much ground this year hence only 9 goals and not that many inside 50 marks or ground ball gets. His kicking gate seemed to be leaning back as he kicked and struggled to cover 50 meters with his kicks. He has had wrist surgery since but it seemed more than that. But I still think he is a star as numbers would suggest.
I recall him copping a pretty hard knock to his shoulder early in the season and then he wasn't too physical after that. Given he didn't have surgery it could've been bone bruising.

He was in ripping form prior to his suspension too.

its not his injury list situation im worried about, its his lack of impact on games in 2015....

He doesn't rack up super coach points if that's what you mean.

BUT he can be a clearance king or just provide a sure head in the middle. He can go into the backline and both rebound and tie down a dangerous small forward. He can also go forward and provide defensive pressure and kick goals.

He is the single most versatile player on our team. I don't think he diminished as much as you think.

Because he is the least replaceable of of gun players I'd really really REALLY want to make sure he's finished and washed up before I cut him from the list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back