Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Bedford, I've been following your posts about AJ with interest over the last few months but given what you've posted over the last couple of weeks I'm forced to ask - what was he and the Swans expecting would happen when he came back?

The guy was out for five years. It's difficult enough to come back and perform at anywhere close to previous levels after just one knee reconstruction, let alone what he's gone through. Why wouldn't both he and the Swans now give it a full pre-season and then a season actually playing the game before making any judgement calls on his ability to perform to a suitable standard?
Because he wants a quality of life, wants to able to play tennis etc. and not worry about breaking down again.

Because he wants a quality of life, wants to able to play tennis etc. and not worry about breaking down again.

The fear of breaking down must be agonising. I've had one knee reco and it's always in my head somewhere and I'm just a casual sports hack. He's had 5 and he's playing professional sport against the best of the best. If it's true, I completely get it and empathise.

What a bloody ripper AJ is though. Incredible determination. How good was it to see him make it back? Unbelievable. If that's it then he's left a huge impression on the club none-the-less.

Beautifully written. I think the comeback game alone put steel into the backbone and inspiration into the heart of the Club and every fan.

The young man seems to have a smart brain, is loved by his team mates and possesses a calm and fierce determination.

In some ways he reminds me of Neal Daniher whose career was cruelled by injury (and the idiocy of Ian Stewart). Just as Daniher became a very good coach, AJ would surprise no-one if he headed down this path.

He just wanted to prove he could get back.

I had a feeling that might have been the case, he is still a champion for making it back. The sentimental part of me wants to see him win another premiership with us but not at the expense of doing what's right for the player and the club.

I'm led to believe that Alex has been offered a welfare role with the club, which in reality is what he has been doing. Also a couple of clubs with VFL teams have offered something. He was really restricted by a groin this week. It was a sad way to go out , if he does. Some pathetic kicking cost a flag last night.

I'm led to believe that Alex has been offered a welfare role with the club, which in reality is what he has been doing. Also a couple of clubs with VFL teams have offered something. He was really restricted by a groin this week. It was a sad way to go out , if he does. Some pathetic kicking cost a flag last night.

Hope you are right Bedders and he stays. Has he done some Uni studies? Has always seemed an intelligent young fellow. The world is his oyster.

Oh well, it's only the 2's. There development is more important! If he's wise, he'll accept a welfare role rather than risk further injury and that chase was excellent, just as a highlight!

Hoping AJ wants to stay at the club.

Ah well the kid owes the club nothing, was one of the best decisions the club made and an absoloute steal drafting him at pick 60 or so in the draft. He was there in 2012 playing unbelievable footy in the 3rd quarter for us when it mattered most and no one can take that flag away from us now. Hoping he can get a pre season under his belt and gain abit more confidence in his leg for next season to improve his game. Well done to the kid for his determination and even making it back to a footy field. If he doesn't make it back to AFL level well he's achieved more in his 45 games than most players do for their whole careers. On ya AJ!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the fact he didn't announce retirement along with the players we just delisted a sign he'll play on next year?

Going to be really interested in any news on AJ. I think he looked alright all things considered & if he wanted to go again then I hope the club let him do so. No pressure on him of course. Was just great to see him back at all. His health & future should be rightfully priority #1... But selfishly I'd love to see him complete preseason & play out a full year again....

That all sounds very reasonable and logical, but I hope upon hope that he gets re-signed or re-rookied.
I don't know what his future holds but if it's in footy, I hope it's with us.

I think it will be up to Alex in that if he feels that he can cope with being on the rookie list, then we will have a spot for him. His other option may be in a coaching role to stay at the club or even elsewhere.

It will sort our appropriately.

Maybe a bit of a slip of the tongue by Harley bu5 he does mention that his body will be prepared for a full pre-season. Read into that what you will but it sounds to me like they’d prefer to keep him on the list in some form. I guess we’ll find out in due course!

Maybe a bit of a slip of the tongue by Harley bu5 he does mention that his body will be prepared for a full pre-season. Read into that what you will but it sounds to me like they’d prefer to keep him on the list in some form. I guess we’ll find out in due course!

He'll be running around in the red & white in 2018, have no fear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back