Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

10% divided among 44 players is the same as 10% among 2. It's utter bull about the farce because it's still the same. How is it any different to another club paying 2 players a big chunk of the salary cap? Anyway I don't disagree with it being removed but I believe the older contracts should have been grandfathered rather than the cost being absorbed by the Swans.
Oh, I agree. But that saga is in the past, it’s the flow on effect that now pisses me off. It’s like being the eldest in the family where you can’t do anything you want but over time, the youngest gets away with everything!

So you can pretty much put it down that he will be rookie listed?
well he has hung around, he's not down here. Not sure how the permission to train stuff works. It can't be a bad thing, it at least shows relationships are still positive.

Swans Website:
"
Alex Johnson and Sam Fisher were also among the group to return on Monday, the pair fighting hard to earn back a spot on the list following their delisting in the off-season.
"

No other team is going to give a spot on their senior list to him.

It's possible we may lose him through another team taking him in the rookie draft but even that would be a long shot

My expectation is he'll get rookied before our pick. Rookie list is for gambles.... he's a gamble where his true ceiling is far easier to assess than others. I have no doubt he's on an AFL list next year - hopefully ours

What I take from it is that the drive exists to still play at the top level. He is going to give himself every chance and then it's over to the Swans or another club to again back him in. It is just really good to see him there still with the fire in the belly. Whoever ends up with him after he finishes playing is getting someone very rich in life experience and top level sacrifice. Great story no matter the outcome. Selfishly I'm hoping for the Swans fairy tale and that's to see him in the bests in the 1's but that's just a personal wish. He has a chance at a normal life and still walks away a Premiership player no matter what and realistically that's not something to be sneezed at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect he will play senior footy this year
I’d say he’d be pretty keen to get back into the senior team. Hopefully he has a full pre season and is raring to go. I can’t imagine a swans fan not wanting to see him play seniors again.

The biggest hurdle is competition for spots down back. Aliir is going to pushing hard for selection, same Harry Marsh, plus Jones keeps getting moved between the backline and midfield.

I’d say he’d be pretty keen to get back into the senior team. Hopefully he has a full pre season and is raring to go. I can’t imagine a swans fan not wanting to see him play seniors again.

The biggest hurdle is competition for spots down back. Aliir is going to pushing hard for selection, same Harry Marsh, plus Jones keeps getting moved between the backline and midfield.
The motivating factor of coming back after pretty much 5 years would be motivating enough...being rookied can only improve on that! It’s that ‘show why we should offer you a full contract in 2019’ statement.

Well as harsh as it sounds, its something he and the club need to discuss going forward. As it stands he is a premiership player and will always be remembered as one, however he is no longer an AFL player. If he is to take a spot on the list, there is an expectation that he can play or we are just wasting a spot that could be better utilised. I want him to return, he was an extremely promising player and a vital cog in our premiership, however if its unlikley or unrealistic that he can he play consistant senior footy, then unfortunately his career as a player has ended with us. Again it sounds harsh however the we are in the business to win flags, not make fairytales

Well as harsh as it sounds, its something he and the club need to discuss going forward. As it stands he is a premiership player and will always be remembered as one, however he is no longer an AFL player. If he is to take a spot on the list, there is an expectation that he can play or we are just wasting a spot that could be better utilised. I want him to return, he was an extremely promising player and a vital cog in our premiership, however if its unlikley or unrealistic that he can he play consistant senior footy, then unfortunately his career as a player has ended with us. Again it sounds harsh however the we are in the business to win flags, not make fairytales
I can't imagine the club would waste their time and money on a rookie spot for him if they didn't think there was a pretty good chance of him getting back.

I don’t think anyone’s saying he shouldn’t have to earn his spot. Im keen now to see if he’s still got what it takes, now that he’s had a full pre season, like everyone else.

I don’t think anyone’s saying he shouldn’t have to earn his spot. Im keen now to see if he’s still got what it takes, now that he’s had a full pre season, like everyone else.
Yes, the key words are ‘full pre season’. He wouldn’t have had that yet. All he’s really had is rehab, modified and restricted training, more higher intensity training, restricted and modified playing time and now the most important...rest! Combined with ‘rest’, a massive pre season is what it’ll be all about and if he can handle that, then why shouldn’t he be a chance next year if his form warrants it? He’s done extremely well in the past 12 months to even set foot on the playing field and he’ll need that steely determination to get back that next AFL game he was born to play! Fingers crossed

Last edited:
My mail is he's already been selected for Round 1 against West Coast.
If we're picking the side 4 months out before the list is even finalised and before most players have even started training, then we deserve to go 0-6 again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back