Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough.

But I hope we do rookie him. He's gotta be a better option than just about any other pick even if he's only a 20% chance to make it back.
Rookies have about a 20-25% strike rate. If he is less than that I wouldn't want to keep him.

I will be devestatef if he isnt offered a rookie spot...he deserves one last crack at it

Unless it turns out that medical advice is adverse/ a decision is made that for him to retire is the best thing for his health, then I'll be very disappointed if he isn't given a rookie spot. To stay loyal for so long to him, but then not give him a final chance to prove he can do it would be a disappointing outcome imo.

When do we find out if we are able to grab him with a Rookie pick?
He is now available for anyone to select as a delisted player. If, as expected, no other club is interested then he will be available in the rookie draft. Again he is available for any other club to select. Either way, you'll find out on November 27.

He is now available for anyone to select as a delisted player. If, as expected, no other club is interested then he will be available in the rookie draft. Again he is available for any other club to select. Either way, you'll find out on November 27.

Sounds good...I hope he gets another chance to play for the seniors. He was so good in '12.

Maybe St Scum I heard

Not in relation to AJ specifically, but I always thought it was strange that you can upgrade someone from the Rookie list however you are not allowed to downgrade them. You would think that if the player agreed to it, it would be better for them rather then getting rookied in a brand new state. I honestly thought this would have been something that the AFLPA looked at.

Though, I guess with free agency, this is less of a problem if the player is able to get a full contract with another club.

what are you on about

Bedders - wake up and smell the 'Roses'.

If Rose, Robinson, Rohan, Foote et al had not had contract extensions we would not have the present predicament. Poor list management from the Bloods. At best those blokes should have only received one year contract extensions. The end of 2018 will require a major purge of the list - of Stalin/Abbottesque proportions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rose, Robinson, Rohan, Foote et al had not had contract extensions we would not have the present predicament.

What predicament? We have a list spot available for AJ, as we now need 4 players (Only 3 decent draft picks) to fill the minimum quota of 38. Therfor, if the club wanted to keep AJ on our senior list they could. I think that in this instance, you need to back in our list management team even though it is sad.

What predicament? We have a list spot available for AJ, as we now need 4 players (Only 3 decent draft picks) to fill the minimum quota of 38. Therfor, if the club wanted to keep AJ on our senior list they could. I think that in this instance, you need to back in our list management team even though it is sad.

I'd back AJ in over Rose et al.

Bedders - wake up and smell the 'Roses'.

If Rose, Robinson, Rohan, Foote et al had not had contract extensions we would not have the present predicament. Poor list management from the Bloods. At best those blokes should have only received one year contract extensions. The end of 2018 will require a major purge of the list - of Stalin/Abbottesque proportions
Rohan...are you kidding? The predicament wasn’t created by extending any of these guys, it was created by the recruitments of Tippett and Franklin in successive years and the need to re-contract some other very important players. I think the roses you are smelling have a little too much blood and bone on them!

You'd back the bloke who just came back from 4yrs of injury over players in our best 22 or who are performing in the NEAFL?
Exactly! Another preseason for AJ could be exactly what he needs...whether that’s the realisation that he can get back to the AFL, or the realisation that he’s been cruelled for 5 years and the game has passed him by!

You'd back the bloke who just came back from 4yrs of injury over players in our best 22 or who are performing in the NEAFL?

Yep. He has a chance of a decent return after a good pre season. He is a proven player who does not turn into a wallflower like Rose or Rohan. Needs the chance to adjust to the pace of the game. Had terrific poise under pressure and an ability to read the game. If he gets it back we have a gun as opposed to the shot ducks in the NEAFL or players like Rohan supposedly in the best 22 who cannot play at the G.

This could just be about seeing what AJ is worth in our competition by releasing him & seeing if any other club is prepared to give AJ a better contract than we presently can give him, (rookie). Especially a Victorian club where he can be with his family after a tough few years.
Should that not work out for him, then I have no doubt & trust the club to rookie list him if he wishes to continue with his career.

All speculation though but he'll be given every opportunity in season 2018 with a pre season under his belt.

No other team is going to give a spot on their senior list to him.

It's possible we may lose him through another team taking him in the rookie draft but even that would be a long shot

Rohan...are you kidding? The predicament wasn’t created by extending any of these guys, it was created by the recruitments of Tippett and Franklin in successive years and the need to re-contract some other very important players. I think the roses you are smelling have a little too much blood and bone on them!
I wouldn't even go and blame them, but rather the AFL. The Swans had planned contracts for years and suddenly the Swans had to absorb the costs of the COLA being removed on all existing contracts. Having to take on an extra 9.8% would stretch any salary cap

I wouldn't even go and blame them, but rather the AFL. The Swans had planned contracts for years and suddenly the Swans had to absorb the costs of the COLA being removed on all existing contracts. Having to take on an extra 9.8% would stretch any salary cap
But it was our actions that ‘caused’ that ridiculous reaction from the AFL (and Eddie and Hawthorn(hypocrites)).

But it was our actions that ‘caused’ that ridiculous reaction from the AFL (and Eddie and Hawthorn(hypocrites)).
10% divided among 44 players is the same as 10% among 2. It's utter bull about the farce because it's still the same. How is it any different to another club paying 2 players a big chunk of the salary cap? Anyway I don't disagree with it being removed but I believe the older contracts should have been grandfathered rather than the cost being absorbed by the Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back