Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

It feels right.
Looking back to Alec,s first season, and a call I made to ABC relative to a his fine game, I think it was against Carlton. I sang his praises to Mark McClure and he commented " haven,t you been listening ( I had not)! I have been singing his praises all afternoon".McClure mentioned his resolve and determination which was a feature of his career from then on. His run off from Gunstan in the 2012 GF to set up a chain for Reid to goal was a feature.
I,m betting the determination is still there....if we have an injury he will make it impossible to ignore him for a return to the ones...not how he would like to get in but someone got a chance when he went down in 2013. They will rock the SCG when it happens....And it will !!!!!

Just one game is all I selfishly ask for. Hopefully a grand final, 100% win rate in AJ grand finals ;)

Just one game is all I selfishly ask for. Hopefully a grand final, 100% win rate in AJ grand finals ;)
50%. Was part of the losing grand final side this year

Looking back to Alec,s first season, and a call I made to ABC relative to a his fine game, I think it was against Carlton. I sang his praises to Mark McClure and he commented " haven,t you been listening ( I had not)! I have been singing his praises all afternoon".McClure mentioned his resolve and determination which was a feature of his career from then on. His run off from Gunstan in the 2012 GF to set up a chain for Reid to goal was a feature.
I,m betting the determination is still there....if we have an injury he will make it impossible to ignore him for a return to the ones...not how he would like to get in but someone got a chance when he went down in 2013. They will rock the SCG when it happens....And it will !!!!!
Alex !

It's no charity pick. Club made it clear that he needed to prove he was capable of playing AFL again otherwise they wouldn't pick him up.
He didn't prove that in the NEAFL, so it must have been during the past 2 weeks of preseason training

Keeping AJ on the list as a rookie for season 2018 is a much easier option & decision to make than it was after his 3rd, 4th & 5 knee reconstructions when he was still to get on the track for any amount of time & during the trade ban. Our cap was tight.
AJ has the resilience to give his all so that both he & the club will know by season's end, if not sooner, if he has the capacity to get back to where today's gamestyle tells him he needs to be. This is it.

He didn't prove that in the NEAFL, so it must have been during the past 2 weeks of preseason training
I must watch footy differently to many posters on here, this is the third pot shot aimed at Alex in as many days over his NEAFL form and I really don't understand why. Did you guys expect him to take the field and play the same as he did in the 2012 GF from the get go?
I get to a lot of ressies games and I thought Alex did very well. He started slowly and appeared quite apprehensive, but as the weeks went on I thought his confidence in both his knee and ability grew and whilst he never got anywhere near his AFL form, to me he showed it's still there and with hard work (which Beeston said he has delivered in spades) and a bit of luck on the injury front, signing him up as a rookie was a no brainer.
Why is he so much more of a risk or a list clogger than any/all of the other rookies on the team? At least with Alex we know what he is capable of and what his ceiling could be.
I really don't understand why some on here think this was not the right decision for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must watch footy differently to many posters on here, this is the third pot shot aimed at Alex in as many days over his NEAFL form and I really don't understand why. Did you guys expect him to take the field and play the same as he did in the 2012 GF from the get go?
I get to a lot of ressies games and I thought Alex did very well. He started slowly and appeared quite apprehensive, but as the weeks went on I thought his confidence in both his knee and ability grew and whilst he never got anywhere near his AFL form, to me he showed it's still there and with hard work (which Beeston said he has delivered in spades) and a bit of luck on the injury front, signing him up as a rookie was a no brainer.
Why is he so much more of a risk or a list clogger than any/all of the other rookies on the team? At least with Alex we know what he is capable of and what his ceiling could be.
I really don't understand why some on here think this was not the right decision for the club.

Exactly.

Also, regarding rookie selection, we can only assume their main concern was physical and he showed enough within the recent time window whether to pick or move on.

The worry being that his body wouldn't respond enough and show to be capable of ever matching other 25 year olds . He must have recommitted post season and trained his arse off since his GF and showed more again in the 2 week block. He should have a great running base now as a launching pad into a preseason. Last year he didnt start running until september, his preaseason was from a really loooooooooooow base.

Fingers crossed.

Good post!

So relieved that AJ is still around. Hopefully with a full pre-season under his belt he can work his way back into the team by the end of the season. Would be good to see him back to his best in 2019!

Good post, one of the problems was the rest of his body coping with the demands of AFL footy #stillnorush

I for one watch footy like you do.:thumbsu:

Good post, one of the problems was the rest of his body coping with the demands of AFL footy #stillnorush
Correct Bedders & the pre season is exactly what the body needs to get back on track.
We all know the worse case scenario folks but AJ will get back for senior action if his body holds up as far as I'm concerned.

Admittedly I hadn't heard the good news about AJ being rookie listed until I saw the title, so it came in handy for me here.

Which is why we started updating the thread titles :p

I'm happy with the decision to rookie list him, as it gives him the opportunity to see if he can get through a pre-season. #stillnorush

Which is why we started updating the thread titles :p

I'm happy with the decision to rookie list him, as it gives him the opportunity to see if he can get through a pre-season. #stillnorush

I am delighted with the club's re-signing. As for "#stillnorush", I expect AJ is feeling the rush of a solid pre-season.

Really really good post Jewelsy. :thumbsu:

Just looking forward to seeing him out on the track with the boys over the next few months and seeing how he goes. Just to get back to this is a remarkable achievement. I'm super stoked for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back