Past #2: Brad McKenzie - pick #18 '11 draft - delisted end '16 season - 37 games for NM - Norwood '17

Remove this Banner Ad

Difficult game for a small defender especially considering the Hawks have three of the premier small forwards in the competition.

Was made to look quite average. There was one point at the start of the third where he actually displaying some genuine strength through the contest which surprised me. Has had a good month but today wasn't his day.

Difficult game for a small defender especially considering the Hawks have three of the premier small forwards in the competition.

Was made to look quite average. There was one point at the start of the third where he actually displaying some genuine strength through the contest which surprised me. Has had a good month but today wasn't his day.
When has it been his day?

30 odd games of AFL and not one where you actually go, gee His kid might have something.

It only took a couple of games to say the same thing about Clarke who is a first year player.

Just isn't AFL standard and unless something changes will never be up to the level.

Not a great game from BMac down at Hobart - defensively still has plenty to learn - but I did love that he demanded the ball from Goldy outside 50, took a run at it and slotted it home from 55m. That was the first time I've really seen him with the confidence to back himself and nail what was a critical goal at the time. Hopefully that helps his attitude and we see him take on the game more. Could become a genuine wingman/link-man rather than a purely defensive half-back if that is the case.

I seriously think besides Higgins, he is our only other player blessed with exceptional foot skills. That goal and aggression shown in the forward half of the ground could be evident that he is stronger there then down back. I hope he was only put there because of the injuries.

I reckon he needs to be used as a outside midfielder next year if he is to be used in the best 22

Use his foot skills to set up play and he isn't quick but if we could use that coming out the middle rather than getting awful inside 50's from the likes of zeebs, swallow etc

I reckon he needs to be used as a outside midfielder next year if he is to be used in the best 22

Use his foot skills to set up play and he isn't quick but if we could use that coming out the middle rather than getting awful inside 50's from the likes of zeebs, swallow etc

The NM problem. Always trying to work out which weakness we can accept more readily. Ziebell and Swallow will not get the ball out to McKenzie to get him to use his skills, they tend to be first possession users. Then we will get burned the other way.

Fact is , apart from a beautiful kick, he is average on all fronts. If that gets him a spot in the 22, well fine and dandy, but don't expect us to be challenging for finals.

The NM problem. Always trying to work out which weakness we can accept more readily. Ziebell and Swallow will not get the ball out to McKenzie to get him to use his skills, they tend to be first possession users. Then we will get burned the other way.

Fact is , apart from a beautiful kick, he is average on all fronts. If that gets him a spot in the 22, well fine and dandy, but don't expect us to be challenging for finals.

Could even be a case of playing him in the wrong role. Bring a different coach in... Oh look he is playing to his strengths (cough... Jacobs... Cough)

Could even be a case of playing him in the wrong role. Bring a different coach in... Oh look he is playing to his strengths (cough... Jacobs... Cough)

So if his strength is kicking, we bring him on and off the ground for every kickout? Jacobs became a tagger because he isn't good enough in a ball winning role. How many taggers can we have?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would prefer to keep him on the list compared to mullett. Offers more imo.

His form would be a lot better if he was alongside Wright and McDonald compared to Mullett and McMillan.
Bingo.

I'll say again, that if he's still here next year he'll be at the point Wright was when he finally stepped up. No guarantee he will do the same, but it's a similar enough profile and similar enough player that it's worth finding out.

I'd be happier if he'd had a couple of real breakout games rather than generally solid with a few glimpses of what he can do well and a few facepalm moments, but the glimpses have been good. A couple of times they've run a set play where he comes off the back of the square to receive a clearance and been deadly. Good teams won't let you do that all day but it shows he's up to it when he gets it to his advantage.

Theres nothing like a slow, lightly framed 23 year old with poor agility and poor decision making, with a good looking but poorly aimed boot to give your defence the edge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back