News 2 Collingwood players being investigated for COVID-19 Breach

Remove this Banner Ad

Never change Robbo :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Robbo: Why Steele Sidebottom’s big night deserved a big penalty

The more information that comes to light on Steele Sidebottom’s booze-fuelled night, the more questions we are left with. We know the Collingwood president likes the full story being told. Will it come out here?

Mark Robinson, Chief Football Writer, Herald Sun

Subscriber only

July 2, 2020 10:12am

similars

It’s like a Hangover sequel, where drinks are consumed, hours are lost and memory is vague.
Lucky, no one got hurt.

“His recollection isn’t that great,” Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said Wednesday of Steele Sidebottom.
When it gets to 7.30am and you’ve had a skinful of booze and you’re wandering the streets, wondering how you’re going to get home, that’s generally what happens.
Flashes of memory make it difficult to explain the full story and that’s why the Sidebottom bender still can’t be pieced together.

Like, why didn’t Collingwood reveal in their statement on Tuesday night that Sidebottom was found by police at Sparrow’s and then driven home?

Did Collingwood omit that from the story to the public or did Sidebottom omit that from his story to Collingwood?

Like, why was Sidebottom partially naked in temperatures around two degrees, as one witness said.

Did Collingwood omit that from the story to the public or did Sidebottom omit that from his story to Collingwood?

Clearly his behaviour after leaving Daniel Wells’ house — which is somewhat of a blind spot — played a role in Wednesday’s penalties.

But some truths have emerged about that morning and we know the Collingwood president does like the full story being told.

Sarcasm aside, let’s hope Sidebottom is in a reasonable space.

Buckley said on Wednesday the 12-year veteran’s behaviour was out of character.

“This is an event, not a pattern and we’re treating it as such,” the coach said.

“He’s suitably embarrassed and very contrite as you’d understand.”

At worst, Sidebottom was stupid and selfish. At best, he lost common sense the longer the bender played out and, again, that’s generally what happens when too many beers are consumed.

Still, a 7.30am finish would suggest Sidebottom not only has stamina on the field, but also off it.

You want to find sympathy for Sidebottom.

Visiting his great mate Jeremy Howe, whose season was harpooned by a serious knee injury the night before, is admiral and understanding.

Because that’s what great mates do.

The Collingwood veteran’s behaviour effectively put at risk a $400 million season.
But, at the same time, good mates haven’t been able to attend funerals in recent months, either, so what’s the definition of compassion?

What started with great intention by Sidebottom ended with great regret.

Let’s park the good bloke factor, even though it’s difficult to do so.

Sidebottom was punished, not for committing a crime, but for committing, at the moment, the AFL’s biggest sin.

In a night of ignoring responsibilities, he put at risk a $400 million season. That’s not an exaggeration.

Extrapolate events.

If Sidebottom or Lynden Dunn, who is also a deeply caring teammate, catch the virus and then take it into the club and affect teammates, the Pies are stood down.

The good news is Sidebottom and Dunn have been tested for coronavirus since the weekend and have both returned negative results.

But the Sidebottom situation comes as the AFL is trying to bust moves with the Western Australian, South Australian, Queensland and NSW governments.

On Wednesday the urgency of the situation hit home when it was announced that AFL players living in Melbourne’s coronavirus “hot spots” had been ordered to relocate to another suburb to be eligible to play games in New South Wales.

Players had to be out of their homes by midnight Wednesday.

That’s not urgency. That’s an emergency move.

Sidebottom has returned a negative result for COVID-19.
Sidebottom will miss four matches for his indiscretion.
And this is the backdrop to one of the league’s smartest footballers making an un-smart decision.

Make no mistake, the AFL was furious with Sidebottom. It believed some its players were not taking their return-to-play protocols seriously.

One and two-match bans for previous indiscretions, the most recent to Essendon’s Conor McKenna a week ago, clearly had not sent a strong enough message.

Sidebottom had to expect a longer suspension than the others. And the AFL was duty bound to deliver it because if it did not, the league would stand accused of not taking its own protocols seriously.

It clamped down on Adelaide’s Ben Hart for overseeing a training session which broke distancing rules in isolation in the Barossa Valley. Hart received six weeks.

Port Adelaide’s Ollie Wines received a one-week suspension for doing a TV interview at his home.

Sidebottom broke several protocols while not remembering the events that took place. He is 29 and one of three vice-captains at the club.

The AFL has told its players it is a privilege to play Australian Rules and with that privilege comes responsibility.

Countless times it has told its players the protocols in place are to protect players and club staff and keep everyone safe.

Sidebottom threatened that safety.

For that, and to borrow a line from Allan Jeans, he has to pay the price.
All I take from the article is unequal punishment for equal crimes. “Conor McKenna’s one week suspension clearly wasn’t enough” - I mean sure but you don’t whack the next bloke with four times the suspension to make a point. If your precedent sucks that’s on you

My concern about being in the wardrobe with an enraged spouse outside is that I might indeed end up like Chautauqua.
Ooooh the biggest gear change of all...

I've first hand on at least 2 occasions had mates who wandered out of doors thinking they were to the toilet and been locked out. One in a hotel and one in a private residence when the back door self locked. I don't find that bit surprising at all. Nor do i find the disorientated and confused bit about a bloke that was smashed, had a couple of hour's sleep, then woken up still smashed. Been there quite a few times myself in the past (when I was a young man like Steele).

Some of you have lead sheltered lives i suspect. I think that most posters who have played in male team sports would have experienced or seen such behaviours.

Exactly, I've had mates piss in broom closets because they thought it was the WC. Might even have allegedly done so myself.... :sick:

Board should pass a special motion - all Cwood players must have crimsafe doors installed - no mistaking front door for toilet door. Keep undesirables out. Can get in black and white.

View attachment 904299

I do love a sponsorship opportunity.

All I take from the article is unequal punishment for equal crimes. “Conor McKenna’s one week suspension clearly wasn’t enough” - I mean sure but you don’t whack the next bloke with four times the suspension to make a point. If your precedent sucks that’s on you
It's just another attempt by Robbo to derail our season..........what he doesn't understand is we don't need any help in this regard.

During the lockdown, I watched so many TV series/movies, they seemed to end up all rolled in one but I did see a show where a very intoxicated guy got dropped off thinking it was his home, went through the front door and straight into the toilet. Problem was it wasn't his house. Owner came out with shotgun.

That is the closest I have seen in the movies.

Ben Afleck in The Way Back.

Bucks also said that they were drinking scotch at howe's which is not something he is used to, so it knocked him about. I do believe this, as Ive seen it happen to plenty of people.

Still should of been Smarter not to drink

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but going on a bender 6 days out from a game is usually frowned upon by the leadership group - oh, hang on......................
Maybe we have different views of a "bender." I just see it as making a very stupid mistake of one drunken night. Clearly very silly and shouldn't have done it. I think the moment he started drinking the scotch with Howe and Dunn, any version of sensibility went out the window. He prob was off his head then he wasn't thinking straight. I doubt anyone would have been able to change his mind.

Never change Robbo :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

The more information that comes to light on Steele Sidebottom’s booze-fuelled night, the more questions we are left with. We know the Collingwood president likes the full story being told. Will it come out here?

Subscriber only

similars

It’s like a Hangover sequel, where drinks are consumed, hours are lost and memory is vague.
Lucky, no one got hurt.

“His recollection isn’t that great,” Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said Wednesday of Steele Sidebottom.
When it gets to 7.30am and you’ve had a skinful of booze and you’re wandering the streets, wondering how you’re going to get home, that’s generally what happens.
Flashes of memory make it difficult to explain the full story and that’s why the Sidebottom bender still can’t be pieced together.

Like, why didn’t Collingwood reveal in their statement on Tuesday night that Sidebottom was found by police at Sparrow’s and then driven home?

Like, why was Sidebottom partially naked in temperatures around two degrees, as one witness said.

Clearly his behaviour after leaving Daniel Wells’ house — which is somewhat of a blind spot — played a role in Wednesday’s penalties.

But some truths have emerged about that morning and we know the Collingwood president does like the full story being told.

“This is an event, not a pattern and we’re treating it as such,” the coach said.

At worst, Sidebottom was stupid and selfish. At best, he lost common sense the longer the bender played out and, again, that’s generally what happens when too many beers are consumed.

Still, a 7.30am finish would suggest Sidebottom not only has stamina on the field, but also off it.

Visiting his great mate Jeremy Howe, whose season was harpooned by a serious knee injury the night before, is admiral and understanding.

The Collingwood veteran’s behaviour effectively put at risk a $400 million season.
But, at the same time, good mates haven’t been able to attend funerals in recent months, either, so what’s the definition of compassion?

Sidebottom was punished, not for committing a crime, but for committing, at the moment, the AFL’s biggest sin.

In a night of ignoring responsibilities, he put at risk a $400 million season. That’s not an exaggeration.

Extrapolate events.

If Sidebottom or Lynden Dunn, who is also a deeply caring teammate, catch the virus and then take it into the club and affect teammates, the Pies are stood down.

The good news is Sidebottom and Dunn have been tested for coronavirus since the weekend and have both returned negative results.

But the Sidebottom situation comes as the AFL is trying to bust moves with the Western Australian, South Australian, Queensland and NSW governments.

On Wednesday the urgency of the situation hit home when it was announced that AFL players living in Melbourne’s coronavirus “hot spots” had been ordered to relocate to another suburb to be eligible to play games in New South Wales.

And this is the backdrop to one of the league’s smartest footballers making an un-smart decision.

Make no mistake, the AFL was furious with Sidebottom. It believed some its players were not taking their return-to-play protocols seriously.

One and two-match bans for previous indiscretions, the most recent to Essendon’s Conor McKenna a week ago, clearly had not sent a strong enough message.

Sidebottom had to expect a longer suspension than the others. And the AFL was duty bound to deliver it because if it did not, the league would stand accused of not taking its own protocols seriously.

It clamped down on Adelaide’s Ben Hart for overseeing a training session which broke distancing rules in isolation in the Barossa Valley. Hart received six weeks.

Port Adelaide’s Ollie Wines received a one-week suspension for doing a TV interview at his home.

Sidebottom broke several protocols while not remembering the events that took place. He is 29 and one of three vice-captains at the club.

The AFL has told its players it is a privilege to play Australian Rules and with that privilege comes responsibility.

Countless times it has told its players the protocols in place are to protect players and club staff and keep everyone safe.

Pay the price?

Adelaide training camp - SA clubs forced into a Qld hub - no player bans
McKenna - one game postponed - 1 week
Sidebottom - no direct impact on the AFL fixturing - 4 weeks

Hunter - drunk drove, crashed into a car and left the scene, criminal charges - 4 weeks
Sidebottom - Uber, drunkenly walking the street, spoken to by police, no charges - 4 weeks

Subscriber only

similars

Lucky, no one got hurt.

Extrapolate events.

How does the Drunk Flog is the lead writer for the Hearld Sun.

I don't read what s**t the Dickheads in the Media say.

IF Connor McKenna got 4 Weeks he be saying it was Ludicrous

Nobody said they weren't allowed to drink.

I don't mind a Drink but I would of thought they be told not to Drink during the Season.

Plus No Drinking stop players doing Stupid Things

I don't mind a Drink but I would of thought they be told not to Drink during the Season.

Plus No Drinking stop players doing Stupid Things
I don't think so. Think that's usually up to the players. Or whether as a playing group you make that decision. It's a club by club decision.

Maybe we have different views of a "bender." I just see it as making a very stupid mistake of one drunken night. Clearly very silly and shouldn't have done it. I think the moment he started drinking the scotch with Howe and Dunn, any version of sensibility went out the window. He prob was off his head then he wasn't thinking straight. I doubt anyone would have been able to change his mind.
Steele needs to build up his tolerance to scotch. Start with a couple of wee drams in the evening and build from there.

I don't think so. Think that's usually up to the players. Or whether as a playing group you make that decision. It's a club by club decision.
Yeah and that is Far Enough but IF I was in Charge I would say no Drinking During the Regular Season and Even maybe even Thru Pre-Season

problem seems quite clear - Melbourne teach their players to drink Scotch, then pack them off to wreak havoc at nearby innocent Cwood where everyone was raised on beer - starting at the Retreat Hotel.

We must be stricter in our recruiting from other clubs - no high class drinking toffs brought up on spirits, wine and cheeseboards.

Beer, dimmies and potato cakes from now on - manage the risk and keep harm to a minimum - basic local, honest stuff. No more upper class rubbish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back