News 2 Collingwood players being investigated for COVID-19 Breach

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
They still could have given him weeks considering behaviour was part of Steele’s suspension
He probably should have got more than 4, it wasn't a good look.

Part of the problem for Steele is the timing. Suburbs back in lock down, other states saying players from the locked down suburbs cant cross the border etc.

4 seems overs feel like 2/3 is spot on

1 week per broken rule

Supporting a team mate is fine if he left earlier and didn’t jump in an Uber no one says anything. The Wells part on is just poor by a senior player

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
This suspension is hilarious to me.

Maybe he shouldn’t have taken an Uber to Wells’ place. According to how the AFL views this incident, he might as well have just driven home pissed & hoped for the best.

Or here’s an even crazier idea, he shouldn’t have gone out drinking with people he’s not allowed to!!!

They love him. Your friend gets drunk and stuffs up, you sure as hell don't get angry with him - unless it's a Carey type situation, which it isn't. They'll be laughing at and with him about it very very soon.
It’s not the drunk part, as a person in the high risk category, l am upset at what he did, by not only putting himself, his team mates, the club and the afl all at risk. Corona, is not a joke disease, it’s lucky he just got four weeks

Seriously 4 weeks unless they are hiding something that's so over the top.
Had to be given that, or bye bye afl for the year.

I thought players are allowed to visit team mates?

Yes they are. They also can have a drink. What they can't do is catch an uber get pissed during the season and walk to an ex-team mates house and then get a lift home by the boys in blue at 7:30am.

Last edited:

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought players are allowed to visit team mates?
They cant stay for over 2 hours, they cant get an Uber, and they cant visit anyone from the Club who isnt in the bubble (Wells).

Staggering around Williamstwon half naked and getting a lift home from the Wallopers is also frowned upon.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
Yes they are. They also can have a drink. What they can't do is get pissed during the season and walk to an ex-team mates house and then get a lift home by the boys in blue at 7:30am.
Why can’t they get pissed?
Would also have thought getting a lift home by the boys in blue and not being charged/held overnight is safer than most options.

Why can’t they get pissed?
Would also have thought getting a lift home by the boys in blue and not being charged/held overnight is safer than most options.

Because getting plastered during the season may have an effect on your playing performance. A few drinks here and there like most normal people is fine.

It’s not the drunk part, as a person in the high risk category, l am upset at what he did, by not only putting himself, his team mates, the club and the afl all at risk. Corona, is not a joke disease, it’s lucky he just got four weeks
I'm not disagreeing with the penalty or anything else that you said. I just don't think you can seperate the drunkenness from it. It seems pretty clear to me that he passed his threshold. These weren't clear consciously thought out decisions. It was just a bloke who had one too many which turned into 10 too many. None of it was malicious or nasty. If it was my friend, I wouldn't get close to anger. I'd be waiting a couple of days before I started taking the piss.

But it’s not a breach.

Correct. It's a separate contract violation. The COVID breaches are: uber ride, staying longer than 2 hours, and visiting wells. The drunk street wandering is a separate incident. But you can see that being drunk without remembering what happened may not look good in terms of COVID rules. Who the hell knows who he bumped into during his stumbling back home.

Last edited:

Giddy Up

All Australian
May 26, 2006
victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
The club have known about this since Sunday and its now Wednesday and seriously that dribble Eddie said tonight is the best they could come up with! Bloody hell, everyone thinks we need a better fitness department but why the hell isnt the PR person under fire!

I'm not disagreeing with the penalty or anything else that you said. I just don't think you can seperate the drunkenness from it. It seems pretty clear to me that he passed his threshold. These weren't clear consciously thought out decisions. It was just a bloke who had one too many which turned into 10 too many. None of it was malicious or nasty. If it was my friend, I wouldn't get close to anger. I'd be waiting a couple of days before I started taking the piss.
Not angry, just very disappointed, that we have players with experience, but don’t seem to learn from others mistakes. How they find new ways of getting into trouble when there is no need for it, is amazing

Correct. It's a separate contract violation. The COVID breaches are: uber ride, staying longer than 2 hours, and visiting wells. The drunk street wandering is a separate incident. But you can see that being drunk without remembering what happen may not look good in terms of COVID rules. Who the hell knows who he bumped into during his stumbling back home.
The police apparently

Back