Past Daniel Menzel - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
What hold up? He flew in and then flew out (cue thinking music on the plane...both ways) and then what seems like a very quick negotiation.
I thought we were thinking about him early on in the piece before he took off.
Didn't the Cats offer 1 year & "five clubs were interested in him" according to his manager, suggesting that he was perhaps chasing a two year deal? That's how I read it. It seems it went from 5 clubs to no one wanting him & our one year deal was a take it or leave it scenario.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...f/news-story/c091eb31578261829e508d3a7c6c3d59
"GEELONG forward Daniel Menzel’s manager Adam Ramanauskas has confirmed that at least two clubs have asked about the 26-year-old’s services beyond this year. Ramanauskas confirmed foxfooty.com.au senior reporter Tom Morris’ exclusive story on Monday about St Kilda’s interest in Geelong, but said they were yet to offer a formal contract for the forward. “I don’t necessarily think he’s going to St Kilda. St Kilda have spoken to me about Daniel and many others,” Ramanauskas told RSN Breakfast. “They haven’t offered a deal. St Kilda have not offered Daniel Menzel a contract.” Ramanauskas suggested that talks were progressing “fine” with Geelong — but they were still offering just a one-year deal to Menzel.
The former Bomber also explained that he thought Menzel was likely to stay, but he would consider any club that was offering security with a two year deal. “At the same time that if there was a multi-year offer for Daniel at another football club, he has to consider it. I can’t be anymore clearer than that,” he said."

I'd say there was a hold up based on all that Mick. In fact it's very likely that no other club was offering two years at all & after some time, other clubs cooled on him full stop.
That left us with perhaps a one year offer we may have tabled in front of him before he took off, hence the effort to fly back mid holiday for a medical.

That's just how I see it though Mick. Any other points of view can be posted freely though.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Happy with one year. Is he going to rob some of our young forwards of development opportunities ? He's a guarantee that we'll have a fully functioning forward line in 2019 and year by year means we can always ditch him to clear salary cap space, if and when our younger players develop (and demand more cash). The club obviously thinks it's the right call. I guess he will know that he's our insurance rather than our future.

Bit ironic if Buddy, Reid, Sinclair and McCartin stay in top shape all year and Menzel struggles to get games.

Did we pay much ?

No, he is as much a part of our future as the young bloods. He offers experience and an X factor. He comes from a winning Club and will offer leadership to the young players around him. If he stays fit and healthy and is able to snag goals then he keeps one young forward out of the mix because he is better in our team than the alternative. When he is no longer able to perform then his position will be taken by someone whose claims are greater than his. This is how it should work. He will not be there to keep a spot warm for someone as they develop. He will be there because he is the best we can put on the field. I wish him a successful time at the Swans - three years would be a great return. If someone can usurp his spot after one year, then so be it. Our team will be all the more formidable.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought we were thinking about him early on in the piece before he took off.
Didn't the Cats offer 1 year & "five clubs were interested in him" according to his manager, suggesting that he was perhaps chasing a two year deal? That's how I read it. It seems it went from 5 clubs to no one wanting him & our one year deal was a take it or leave it scenario.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...f/news-story/c091eb31578261829e508d3a7c6c3d59
"GEELONG forward Daniel Menzel’s manager Adam Ramanauskas has confirmed that at least two clubs have asked about the 26-year-old’s services beyond this year. Ramanauskas confirmed foxfooty.com.au senior reporter Tom Morris’ exclusive story on Monday about St Kilda’s interest in Geelong, but said they were yet to offer a formal contract for the forward. “I don’t necessarily think he’s going to St Kilda. St Kilda have spoken to me about Daniel and many others,” Ramanauskas told RSN Breakfast. “They haven’t offered a deal. St Kilda have not offered Daniel Menzel a contract.” Ramanauskas suggested that talks were progressing “fine” with Geelong — but they were still offering just a one-year deal to Menzel.
The former Bomber also explained that he thought Menzel was likely to stay, but he would consider any club that was offering security with a two year deal. “At the same time that if there was a multi-year offer for Daniel at another football club, he has to consider it. I can’t be anymore clearer than that,” he said."

I'd say there was a hold up based on all that Mick. In fact it's very likely that no other club was offering two years at all & after some time, other clubs cooled on him full stop.
That left us with perhaps a one year offer we may have tabled in front of him before he took off, hence the effort to fly back mid holiday for a medical.

That's just how I see it though Mick. Any other points of view can be posted freely though.
Article the other day Ted. We were only team in.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Menzel and his manager were claiming all through the draft and trade period that his low pressure and tackling numbers were due to the way geelong asked him to play. it will be interesting to see just how true this is and if he actually has the ability to change direction quickly and apply pressure. if not, will he remain in the neafl like morton and mitchell before him?

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
You do realise he absolutely loves Sydney and it’s lifestyle? He was absolutely pissed he got traded, it has absolutely nothing to do with family at all!
Sounds as though the club thought he needed a change for the sake of his career. I think Rohan will be a gun for the Cats & Menzel will give us a year's great service & then we'll sign him up again before the year is out. Both players will provide a better season than if they both stayed put at their original club.
Fresh environment, fresh coaching group, fresh team mates etc. Win win!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Sounds as though the club thought he needed a change for the sake of his career. I think Rohan will be a gun for the Cats & Menzel will give us a year's great service & then we'll sign him up again before the year is out. Both players will provide a better season than if they both stayed put at their original club.
Fresh environment, fresh coaching group, fresh team mates etc. Win win!
I hope so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

msb77

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Very happy with this, he is definitely worth a shot for a year and see what happens and it is an upgrade on rohan.

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Dont forget
Stoked to get Menzel. He'll be burning up the track and training the house down which will culminate in his best pre season ever.
Dont forget adapting to the change in scenery, looking as fit as hes been, loving walking down the street without being recognised, getting to know the boys, earning his spot, and us teaching an old cat new tricks.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Charlie Gardiner...

Spriggs, Brockman, Bennett...

Williams, Toohey and Bolton went alright though...
The late Eddie Melai. Very tough and rugged ruckman. He KO'd (accidentally of course) an umpire in VFA Grand Final. He also managed to get himself reported and rubbed out as a runner for Dandenong against Port in the Grand Final when Fred Cook was king hit.

I am absolutely stoked with menzel...however this will be the ultimate test for horse...of he tries to make him into a mid we know he has no idea what he is doing

Lol I know it’s a running joke re Horse but if the knock on Menzel is that he doesn’t have enough defensive effort in the forward line then he’s definitely not gonna have enough to cut it in the midfield.

Back