Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Going to be interesting whether he can apply himself at training and hold up his body. He is still a long way away from being a certain starter. Fingers crossed

The bloke came back from 4 knee reconstructions, that to me provides pretty good evidence that applying himself up at training isn't an issue. Obviously his ability to stay on the park is a problem, but if fit he is comfortably best 22

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Some might say comparing him to one of the greatest forwards of all time is unfair but Menzel is not too far off the mark. If he can keep on the park he is a very good foil for Buddy

View attachment 584647

Surprised to see his ave disposals so high. He's already a 4 disposals a game upgrade on Rohan and then add his goals on top of that.

Will be a great addition to our forward line

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
McCartin is a real raw talent and will become a dead set legend up forward or even in the middle. I don't think that Menzel will be the one to push McCartin out. More so it will be Reid or if Naismith becomes first ruck, then Sinclair will vie for McCartin's possie. Menzel will allow Heeney to play midfield and he will take his position on the flank or Rohan's. Or perhaps he will become the stay at home forward pocket?
The prospect of Buddy at CHF supplying Menzel on the lead is a good one. But Daniel will have to play two ways and tackle out

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
No doubt that IF HEALTHY, Menzel would make a good 2nd/3rd banana. Just wonder if it will allow Buddy to be up the ground more kicking it to guys like Menzel/Reid who will be staying at home in the forward line.

If there is a team that can alleviate Menzel's defensive issues its the Swans...

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
With a bit of luck in the development and injury department, we could have one of the mose dangerous forward lines in the comp this year.

If Horse doesn't make most of the talent he has up forward then there is something wrong. You have a superstar (Buddy), an elite prospect (Blakey), a good prospect (McCartin), good 2nd/3rd bananas in Menzel, Reid and some good small forwards for goodness sake.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Oh for the good old days of sunday footy on the telly, big Ed was a big favorite. Yeah and I hope Swannies get a couple of years from Menzel, gun player , maybe jag a flag to complete the story.
For those who like the nostalga of punch ups, a port victory (including the fight), fighting trainers and a dog on the field. This game had everything including the classic Phil Gibbs line "And Flarherty has been flattened. And there's another one gone down". Great days

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If Horse doesn't make most of the talent he has up forward then there is something wrong. You have a superstar (Buddy), an elite prospect (Blakey), a good prospect (McCartin), good 2nd/3rd bananas in Menzel, Reid and some good small forwards for goodness sake.

Fair enough call, though it shows why we had some issues in 2018.
Limping Buddy, no Blakey, first year skinny McCartin, not on list, played one game and very inexperienced small forwards.

Different mix if it all comes together with more experience for the young small forwards.

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
Why are you calling these guys bananas?

For those who like the nostalga of punch ups, a port victory (including the fight), fighting trainers and a dog on the field. This game had everything including the classic Phil Gibbs line "And Flarherty has been flattened. And there's another one gone down". Great days

**good times**

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
**good times**
Yeah right.
Anyone who thinks that footy today is worse off than those days needs to re-calibrate their brains.
Sorry, but that was the show piece GF of the day for the VFA. That represents everything I hated about the bad old days.Just my opinion of course.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Yeah right.
Anyone who thinks that footy today is worse off than those days needs to re-calibrate their brains.
Sorry, but that was the show piece GF of the day for the VFA. That represents everything I hated about the bad old days.Just my opinion of course.
The dog was just about BOG.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Yeah right.

You got to love the dog. Yes it was awful. The football was tough and direct, winning scores of over a hundred 100 points, drug free, the crowd could afford a ticket, pay a house off on an average wage and everyone had a job including the players. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Yeah right.

Aw, gee Ted. You had to ruin the mood :(

Seriously, and I know I'm in danger of the Grinch calling me off topic here, but the 1989 GF is still, for me, the best mix of biffo and raw footballing ability I've seen. It sits at the transition between the old school and the new. I've watched it several times.

For those who haven't, see it ! Best bits : Whatever you think of the man personally, Abblet Snr demonstrates why he was simply known as GOD. Dermot Brerton gets his ribs broken behind play. Then there's a twist......

Back on topic : Hope Menzel holds up. After the paucity of goal kicking talent this year I'd love to see an embarassment of riches in our forward line for 2019.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
The bloke came back from 4 knee reconstructions, that to me provides pretty good evidence that applying himself up at training isn't an issue. Obviously his ability to stay on the park is a problem, but if fit he is comfortably best 22
Menzel fit and our other injured players now fit makes out best 22 harder to name. I'd argue there will be quite a few who may have to fight their way in or back in. That includes Dawson, O'Riordan, Stoddart, Fox, Rose, Darcy and some senior players such as Grundy and Jack. Thurlow and Clarke are not necessarily walk ups. Even Ronke, Naismith, Melican and McCartin could find themselves on the outer. Guys like Blakey and Ling will also be looking for some senior action in 2019.

2019 will be a balancing act between winning enough games to be a GF chance and keeping one eye on future player development. We are in the midst of a significant generational change from a team based around the heroes of 2012 to a core group of new heroes to take us through the next 8-10 years. Our recruiters and development staff clearly have a long term plan. How much we can utilise Menzel as part of that transition will be one of the keys to negotiating that generational change successfully.

Horse hasn't earned any faith that he can have a forward line that is consistently dangerous. We've seen it in glimpses here and there across the years but so few and far between and our structures fall apart at even the slightest resistance. For all his good qualities, the often-diabolical nature of our forward line going back to the beginning of his tenure is a major flaw.

And I know someone will reply to this with some stats that show we were 4th or 5th or something in scoring and hey we also made grand finals as well. But a few years ago it was on the back of routine midfield domination that meant the vast majority of games were played in our forward 50, covering up the lack of any logic or structure inside 50.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Laidler as well
My Dad used to say, "Plenty of life in an old pussy". I assume he was referring to ex-Geelong players. :$
Horse hasn't earned any faith that he can have a forward line that is consistently dangerous. We've seen it in glimpses here and there across the years but so few and far between and our structures fall apart at even the slightest resistance. For all his good qualities, the often-diabolical nature of our forward line going back to the beginning of his tenure is a major flaw.

And I know someone will reply to this with some stats that show we were 4th or 5th or something in scoring and hey we also made grand finals as well. But a few years ago it was on the back of routine midfield domination that meant the vast majority of games were played in our forward 50, covering up the lack of any logic or structure inside 50.
Ask yourself how settled our forward line has been since 2012. We have had Reid in/out. Tippet in/out and even Buddy for a period in 2015. Forwards having to play ruck, Rohan's inconsistence etc etc. Many of our forwards are new as we've turned over most of the forward line. I'd imagine that as a former Coleman medallist Horse knows a thing or two about kicking goals. Let's get a settled line up and see if that settles the question. Don't forget that across the years we've been playing finals and making the odd GF. We aren't far off the mark despite everything.

Last edited:

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Menzel fit and our other injured players now fit makes out best 22 harder to name. I'd argue there will be quite a few who may have to fight their way in or back in. That includes Dawson, O'Riordan, Stoddart, Fox, Rose, Darcy and some senior players such as Grundy and Jack. Thurlow and Clarke are not necessarily walk ups. Even Ronke, Naismith, Melican and McCartin could find themselves on the outer. Guys like Blakey and Ling will also be looking for some senior action in 2019.

2019 will be a balancing act between winning enough games to be a GF chance and keeping one eye on future player development. We are in the midst of a significant generational change from a team based around the heroes of 2012 to a core group of new heroes to take us through the next 8-10 years. Our recruiters and development staff clearly have a long term plan. How much we can utilise Menzel as part of that transition will be one of the keys to negotiating that generational change successfully.
Beautifully summed up. It does depend on some selection risk taking and creative thinking. If Longmire opts for safe options with the old tried and true brigade we cant win a premiership. Improvement here will come through change. Cowering in the certainty of old plans will not cut it. I am suspicious of the rebuilding line. We are not that far off a flag. With some change its achievable. This really is a question of team selection, luck with injuries and the courage to make changes by the coach. We shall see.

Back