Player Watch - #2 Daniel Menzel - Welcome to Sydney | Page 8 | BigFooty

Player Watch #2 Daniel Menzel - Welcome to Sydney

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by Big Blood, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Bloodied52

Bloodied52 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    ,Was being a little facetious. Still some slate Mitchell for being a money grubber. Had Hanners agreed to drop significant coin, he'd be a one Club player, being paid what he was worth. If Rohan was selfless he would have tornup his contract and volunteered to go on the Rookie List.

connolly likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Vin Rogue

Vin Rogue Team Captain

Sydney
    We still got the Mitchell decision wrong.Hindsight is a mongrel cos it is never wrong. Completely understandable why he was let go. Others were preferred for a variety of reasons and all of them faded in comparison to what we let go. How do you get a player to love the jumper he plays in? Mitchell had an unhealthy amount of selfishness about him and ego. The issue is how the Club went about knocking him into the player they wanted him to become. He would become the best accumulater the game has ever seen, but not a team man and tellingly, too few selfless one percenters. He chose to walk away. We need to ask how did the Club fail in making Titch a swan? We can be better for the experience, without feeling," he didn't like us, he can stuff off." As for horse, he needs his assistant coaches to grow the individual players space within horses system. Stevie J must become Menzel's powerful advocate. Horse needs his system, but many of the players need freedom to be different. That Ollie Florent goal is a great cameo of what we are talking about.

caesar88, Jewelsbon, connolly and 2 others like this.
  3. The Gong

The Gong Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Northern Districts Tigers
    I'm not sure you read my post. I said he should have left for more money and opportunity. It's the age of professionalism. This isn't an amateur suburban game any more where changing clubs was seen as the worst kind of betrayal.

We had a round of contract renewals that were the right decision at the time but have looked poor based on unforeseeable outcomes. If I had a time machine I wouldn't have signed Tippett and I would've moved Jack and maybe even Hanners on earlier to make space for Mitchell but we don't have that luxury. For the most part the club has made the right decisions to make us a competitor and you're not going to get every call right.

Any way...back on topic...I like Menzel.

4. Wolftone

Wolftone Club Legend

Sydney
    We have at least given him an option of a second year. Cats were not doing that

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

bungee likes this.
  5. Wolftone

Wolftone Club Legend

Sydney
    To be fair Harley and Johnson never played for Swans. Playfair was injury prone and powder nose was a great Ruck an for us.

connolly likes this.
  6. Wolftone

Wolftone Club Legend

Sydney
    In the VFA an umpire being hit was a deliberate act made to look accidental. The VFA was bastion of thugs and hit men. Guys who spent more time suspended in their VFL careers than on the park. That is saying something in that era as the VFL, SANFL and WAFL were very tough comps

connolly likes this.
  7. bungee

bungee El Zorro

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    I follow no other, only Swans
    I wish they had.

It was just some idle musing on the number of old cats that have washed up on Sydney shores but, as some have pointed out, this is not a new thing.

8. bungee

bungee El Zorro

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    How can you dispute a simple fact ? (Donald Trump says hello). Mitchell played 45 games in 2015/2016. Had he stayed a Swans he'd have played even more games than he got as a Hawk. It's an old chestnut that Horse denied him games. Don't go there.

Needless to say that it's nothing to do with Menzel.

9. Vin Rogue

Vin Rogue Team Captain

Sydney
    Spot on commentary...and I like Menzel as a potentially great fit too.

10. SBD Gonzalez

SBD Gonzalez Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Kidding, right?
    I’m assuming this is sarcasm.

connolly likes this.
  11. GotTheGoodes

GotTheGoodes Bloods

Sydney
    Hey everyone... this is in fact a thread to discuss Daniel Menzel not Titch leaving us, how Horse plays youth, GPS data or anything else not Menzel related.

So please try to keep it on topic.

Any further off topic discussion from here will be removed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. connolly

connolly Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Persis Solo
    Well it does have a Menzel relevance. Will Menzel, who does not play a strong defensive forward game that the Dear Leader wants in his forwards, be played in the NEAFL until he changes his style or until someone like Kieran Jack gets injured? Or will he be among the first picked given his goal scoring ability and the different attacking dimension he brings to the table? All of this is of course conditional on dodgy knees, thighs etc etc. holding up and pre-season form. Legitimate question in the Menzel thread which is apparently being moderated out of a bunker in Pyongyang these days. ( Kim says hi back).

Bloody, Vin Rogue and SBD Gonzalez like this.
  13. connolly

connolly Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Persis Solo
    I would have suggested a place to stick his devices and it wouldn't be on Menzil's back.

14. The Gong

The Gong Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Northern Districts Tigers
    I see Menzel being recruited as an attacking player to take pressure off Buddy. The coaches would be well aware of his strength and weaknesses but I'd see him being a best 22 player. That's not to say he gets to just waltz into firsts without any commitment to training but Longmire made numerous comments over the season about the struggle the team had with such a young forward line and the unfair pressure that placed on Buddy. To get Menzel and then play him in the reserves defeats the entire purpose of getting him in the first place. Then again maybe I'm delusional and he'll get the Mitch Morton treatment.

connolly, Vin Rogue and bungee like this.
  15. Bloodied52

Bloodied52 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Menzeltoff ..... Sounds like a cheerful welcome in Yiddish.

I'll grab my coat on the way out.

16. connolly

connolly Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Persis Solo
    I hope so that it indicates a change towards a more attacking approach

17. bungee

bungee El Zorro

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Agree. Besides, Menzel's a different kettle of fish to a draft pick. No use trying to teach an old cat new tricks.

connolly likes this.
  18. Vin Rogue

Vin Rogue Team Captain

Sydney
    The message from Menzel the cat: Forget all about exercise. You wanna exercise then you do it. Your job is to feed me. Clean out the litter tray and I'll find my own patch of sun to lie in. I will do my own party tricks for your benefit when I choose.

Kirkswan, bungee and connolly like this.
  19. BloodySwan

BloodySwan Premiership Player

Sydney
    Can Menzel play in the midfield or is he only built as a forward? Our forward line is looking very healthy between Menzel, Buddy, Reid, Ronke, Papley, Hayward, McCartin & Blakey

bungee likes this.
  20. LukeParkerno1

LukeParkerno1 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    With his injuries Menzel is a forward- and a smart one. Lets not all go Horse please and move every forward out of the forward line!

connolly, SwansProudly and Jewelsbon like this.
  21. BloodySwan

BloodySwan Premiership Player

Sydney
    Steve Johnson, Buddy Franklin, Jarred Roughead, Robbie Grey, Chad Wingard, Ryan O'Keefe. They're all gone forwards who have been pushed into the midfield by their coaches at times because you want your best players on the field at all times. If Menzel can play in the midfield we should push him there

22. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    No we should leave our forwards where they kick goals. Menzel can easily kick 40+ if we leave him forward.

SwansProudly and cadsky like this.
  23. cadsky

cadsky Premiership Player

Sydney
    Menzel was recruited to help fix our forward line problems, mainly that we have no one to kick to other than Buddy. Menzel needs to stay forward. That is his position.

Punts, SwansProudly and Jewelsbon like this.
  24. cadsky

cadsky Premiership Player

Sydney
    On a side note. Has he arrived in Sydney/at training yet? His Insta has gone very quiet the last week.

25. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Wasn't he at training, thought I saw him doing the time trial