Player Watch 2. Dylan Grimes

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanna point out that Balta had already been moved back before Grimes hurt himself. I remember noticing it before Grimes's injury.

Dimma obviously realised Miller wasn't doing too well, and swapped him and Balta (took longer than it should have). Didn't you guys notice Miller forward and then also in the ruck a few times?

So I wonder if the Grimes injury will mean Miller has to go back again to replace him and we bring in Soldo as back up ruck, or if we bring back Gibcus for Grimes and keep Miller forward + backup ruck.

It will be interesting because Miller is actually good around the ground and has quick hands.
Interesting selection ahead as Port Rucks ain't it

Castagna is a small šŸ¤ž
kristen wiig gtfo GIF

Just wanna point out that Balta had already been moved back before Grimes hurt himself. I remember noticing it before Grimes's injury.

Dimma obviously realised Miller wasn't doing too well, and swapped him and Balta (took longer than it should have). Didn't you guys notice Miller forward and then also in the ruck a few times?

So I wonder if the Grimes injury will mean Miller has to go back again to replace him and we bring in Soldo as back up ruck, or if we bring back Gibcus for Grimes and keep Miller forward + backup ruck.
I hope we go smaller down back instead. Keep Miller in the side as the second ruck, and if the oppo get on top of us aerially when can always send him back to help out if needed.

I would lean on bringing in Gibcus. Move Balta back & Gibcus swings forward and back as needed. Balta or Miller could both handle the back-up ruck then

Sounds like Burge has lost his nerve with hammy rehab. We've had so many reoccurrences under his watch its no surprise he is shitting himself about getting it wrong yet again.

View attachment 1463882

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah wow, that does not read great long-term. I think Dylan's end will appear as quickly as Astbury's. Its bloody sad, but it also underlines just how lucky we were to win 3 flags with this group. We had a lot of luck with 2 blokes like Grimes & Astbury whose early careers were riddled with injuries - but managed to get A1 right at the time when our list was peaking. We were very fortunate.

In an odd way, i think the Grimes injury will be in our best interest. All year i have wanted to see how this team looks with some of these older blokes out of it and being replaced by the younger guys. I have to say so far, the experience of those younger blokes coming in has been positive. Let Gibcus take his role now & just roll with the results.

pretty disappointing reading, interesting that its near where he had surgery years ago.

how many hammys is that this year?

Itā€™s his 2nd for the year and I think the first season heā€™s done a hammy since that surgery

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibcus, Miller have emerged now & need to be continually be played.
They are the future key posts.
Grimes spot in the team is now very interesting especially with Tarrant & now Balta back to playing back and looking a better option than Grimes.

I know Grimes is the captain but he has lost some speed now with injuries coming back the hammies.

Gibcus, Miller have emerged now & need to be continually be played.
They are the future key posts.
Grimes spot in the team is now very interesting especially with Tarrant & now Balta back to playing back and looking a better option than Grimes.

I know Grimes is the captain but he has lost some speed now with injuries coming back the hammies.
How quickly we forget. Heā€™s still a very very good defender and will be back in the side immediately he recovers from his operation. Sadly, next season looking most likely šŸ˜ž

Grimes on track for full pre-season​

Jon Pierik - The Age

Richmond co-captain Dylan Grimes has impressed club medical staff in his recovery from surgery and is ready to complete a full pre-season.
Grimes, 31, required hamstring surgery in August after he was hurt in the round-20 clash against Brisbane at the MCG. He missed the final three home-and-away games and what was the season-ending loss to the Lions in an elimination final at the Gabba.
The veteran defender has a history of hamstring issues, so understood what awaited in his recovery.

Tigers co-captain [PLAYERCARD]Dylan Grimes[/PLAYERCARD] is expecting to complete a full pre-season, having had hamstring surgery late in the 2022 campaign.

Tigers co-captain Dylan Grimes is expecting to complete a full pre-season, having had hamstring surgery late in the 2022 campaign.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

Tigers officials say he has been running and recovering well and will join in full training when the senior group officially resumes later this month.
Grimes remains a key part of the Tigersā€™ premiership plans, and his composure was missed late in the season.
Ahead of his 200th game in June, Grimes opened up about his hamstring battles, revealing he had been on the verge of retirement before his second hamstring tendon surgery a decade ago.
Between 2011-13, Grimes managed to play just 25 of a possible 67 senior games because of hamstring issues, and was sent to Germany to spend time with German doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt for expert treatment.
As Grimes ramps up his preparation, Dustin Martin has been seen running laps at Punt Road, with the Tigers hoping the star midfielder can reclaim his place at the top of the leagueā€™s pecking order.

Martin managed only nine games through injury and a leave of absence to deal with the death of his father. He averaged less than 19 touches per game.
He returned for the elimination final, having not played since round 16, but the decision to select him was criticised after coach Damien Hardwick declared before the game that the triple Norm Smith medallist was only ā€œ80 per cent fitā€. He had only 15 possessions and a goal in the two-point loss to the Lions.
The Tigers expect to remain in premiership mode this season, having acquired midfielders Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper through the trade period. Their first-to-fourth year players begin official training on Monday.

Mr Magic style thought bubble here.

With Broad & Vlastuin going well in defence as hybrids, Tarrant had a very good finish to the season, Balta set to be the second key defender and the club could be keen to keep getting games into Gibcusā€¦..

Say in the event of Riewoldt being injured/rested or Lynch injuredā€¦.is there a possible role forward for D Grimes? There is little doubt if assigned the task he would be good enough to nullify the Tom Stewart types.

Could Grimes also do a bit of damage forward with his height, speed and ability to read the play? Or is he just too entrenched as a defender, meaning Balta and Gibcus are going to be the candidates to be swung forward in times of need again this year?

With Broad & Vlastuin going well in defence as hybrids, Tarrant had a very good finish to the season, Balta set to be the second key defender and the club could be keen to keep getting games into Gibcusā€¦..

Say in the event of Riewoldt being injured/rested or Lynch injuredā€¦.is there a possible role forward for D Grimes? There is little doubt if assigned the task he would be good enough to nullify the Tom Stewart types.

Could Grimes also do a bit of damage forward with his height, speed and ability to read the play? Or is he just too entrenched as a defender, meaning Balta and Gibcus are going to be the candidates to be swung forward in times of need again this year?

That is very Magic thinking.

It might work. No idea if he is a forward in any sensible way though.

I reckon Miller is a good go, Gibcus or Balta.

We've too many good KPDs and not enough KPFs. So I reckon we could just try some of them down forward before Grimes

That is very Magic thinking.

It might work. No idea if he is a forward in any sensible way though.

I reckon Miller is a good go, Gibcus or Balta.

We've too many good KPDs and not enough KPFs. So I reckon we could just try some of them down forward before Grimes

I guess Jaryn Geary is a bit of a possible precedent. Played back for the large part of his career in a not dissimilar type of role to Grimes. Then in the twighlight the Saints moved him forward quite often to put some heat on opposition conduit types like Jake Lloyd etc.

I mean what could possibly go wrong if we follow the Saints lead? šŸ¤£

I guess Jaryn Geary is a bit of a possible precedent. Played back for the large part of his career in a not dissimilar type of role to Grimes. Then in the twighlight the Saints moved him forward quite often to put some heat on opposition conduit types like Jake Lloyd etc.

I mean what could possibly go wrong if we follow the Saints lead? šŸ¤£

What could go wrong??

Are you sure you want a response to that?

Sorry to prick your bubble, but why on earth would we play one of the best defenders ever to put on a RFC jumper as a forward?
Play him back until his legs snap in half pleaseā€¦

Not alarmed but concerned. Making some horrendous mistakes. Made the same mistake he did today that he did in that last play v the Suns last year. Normally faultless. Is he a yard behind? Still does 95% of things really well. I guess we hold him in such high regard that his mistakes are quantified

Not alarmed but concerned. Making some horrendous mistakes. Made the same mistake he did today that he did in that last play v the Suns last year. Normally faultless. Is he a yard behind? Still does 95% of things really well. I guess we hold him in such high regard that his mistakes are quantified

Getting old

Yeah, had some terrible moments last year and today didnā€™t look too good.

Hard to imagine it could disappear so quickly. A normal Dylan Grimes would be the perfect match-up for Curnow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back