Player Watch 2. Dylan Grimes

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Thought Dimma got the match ups wrong early, should have had Grimes on Danger in the first half, then IIRC he made the switch second half.

amc11

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Grand final recollections from the players have been going up on the club website. Dylan Grimes has his turn here:

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I feel like shooting Bambi...

But I personally thinks Grimes has no where near his form of the last 4 years...

He's had 2-3 games of what we are used to, but the rest are average (by his standards) at best...

I recognise the whole back 6 has been under the pump this year which hasn't helped, but I reckon he's getting beat 1v1 more than ever.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

But I personally thinks Grimes has no where near his form of the last 4 years...

He's had 2-3 games of what we are used to, but the rest are average (by his standards) at best...

I recognise the whole back 6 has been under the pump this year which hasn't helped, but I reckon he's getting beat 1v1 more than ever.
Think he has alot on his mind outside football.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond

Are you f-ing serious?
The midfield was decimated by injury this year, which put our defence under massive pressure and then we lost 4-5 of our starting defenders and he's had to carry the defence by himself with a bunch of kids.
Unbelievable, Grimes is the least of our concerns

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania

The thing to consider here is that the stand rule has created a lot more one on one contests down back, and he's had to play on opponents who are much bigger and stronger than him due to the injuries to Astbury and Balta throughout the year. Ideally, he would be the third tall, as he was back when we had Rance, but we don't have the cattle for that any more.

All things considered, I think he held up pretty well this year.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
The thing to consider here is that the stand rule has created a lot more one on one contests down back, and he's had to play on opponents who are much bigger and stronger than him due to the injuries to Astbury and Balta throughout the year. Ideally, he would be the third tall, as he was back when we had Rance, but we don't have the cattle for that any more.

All things considered, I think he held up pretty well this year.

Great assessment, well said.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
Last year season finished 24th October
This year season finishes 21st august
That's an extra 8 weeks off for Dylan
To refresh and regain his appetite
He will spend more time on his
Beautiful property up in Gisborne
And be All Australian in 2022

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Astbury is our mr dependable, mr reliable and lietutenant/sargent and always plays par or better, without him vlossy, grimes, short and others lose that confidence and system and play more panicky, dysfunctional and and much less productive

its common knowledge he's half cooked but boy we missed him in that first half. and will be hard to replace if he retires, balta still needs 12mhs.

funny how when 17/19/20 when we were flying we dldn't mentioned names just said 'back six' and we all felt comfortable and safe

Garth not up to it and Miller has to be given a crack but massive question marks already. broad and houli out too dosen't help, and for mine mansall is too small to be anything more than handy...

this probably dosen't belong here but couldn't find daves thread so plonked it here.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Are you f-ing serious?
The midfield was decimated by injury this year, which put our defence under massive pressure and then we lost 4-5 of our starting defenders and he's had to carry the defence by himself with a bunch of kids.
Unbelievable, Grimes is the least of our concerns
Calm down mate... And I didn't say he was a concern...

But nothing says I can't call out if his output is down on previous years, there's no golden ticket that means it can't be called out.

As people have mentioned, there are a lot of reason for it, and most of them are out of his control, I understand that.

I still think though, through the season, he has had his colours lowered in situations that are inside his control.

That being said, I think he will bounce back next year. He just looks flat, like 2/3's of our side!

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure how others have viewed his season but all the challenges to consider he's top 3 B&F for mine.
Agreed, especially given how few players have played every game this year (Short, Baker, Graham & Jack), Grimes has only missed the 1 so far
Hard to poll high in a B&F if you miss a chunk of games

Back