Past #2: Ed Lower - #10 in '05 RD - TOD review posts 1192 & 1194 - delisted end '11 - BB housemate '13

Remove this Banner Ad

It saddens me that a construct of a brilliant dystopian book is associated with such an awful, awful, money gauging reality TV show.

I am sure when penning 1984 Orwell pictured cameras zooming in trying to catch the exact moment the drunken bogan becomes the drunken bogan that had sex on national television.

Don't you know the creators of Big Brother insist there is absolutely no connection between Orwell's book and this television program. The name? Well, there are lots of Big Brothers. Nothing like 1984, no need for royalties or licensing agreements.

Don't you know the creators of Big Brother insist there is absolutely no connection between Orwell's book and this television program. The name? Well, there are lots of Big Brothers. Nothing like 1984, no need for royalties or licensing agreements.

Are you serious?

The concept that someone is always watching isn't the basic premise of the show?

So not only are they shitting on a brilliant book they are not even paying for the privilege. Horrid.

Sister was on the GC last week and ran into him.

Ed is definitely North. Speaks in the 'we'.

I follow Ed on twitter and somebody had asked him who he barracked for in the AFL and he said North Melbourne. He's actually quite passionate about the mighty roos.

Good to hear. Like I said, I didn't actually watch the show but based on the comments in this thread it sounded like he always had on some piece or other of scraggers paraphenalia.

Good to hear. Like I said, I didn't actually watch the show but based on the comments in this thread it sounded like he always had on some piece or other of scraggers paraphenalia.

And he took a steaming dump a couple a times. All not so subtle references to Footscray and their season.

I will preface this with I didn't watch. At all.

What did you learn from Big Brother 2013 that you couldn't have learned from watching one of the many many series of Big Brother that have happened from around the world?

Its not a social experiment (as it bills itself) it is designed to sell advertising and get money from voting calls and SMS's.

It is a money making exercise that is set up by a corporation.

Bigfooty is a money making exercise also. Are you going to isolate yourself from the world just because of corporate motives?

Human interaction is vast and complex and I don't agree that what can be gained from watching one series of BigBrother is really all there is to it. I'm not saying it's a bloody work of art, but it has its merits and has improved since moving to channel 9. Some of the best film directors will tell you that there's something to learn even in the crappiest movie.

What I think erks some people and I can understand is that it and other reality shows are so popular compared to something of higher quality. 1984 for instance is a masterpiece but how much of the big brother viewership have read it? That's the real injustice.

I would argue that BigFooty has more social merit than Big Brother.

You may learn something from the worst movie but fake reality TV? It's a prescribed situation. It's watching psychologically tested different personalities mash together. I would prefer to watch actual reality.

If they stole the premise of the show and don't even pay for it, it is truly horrid.
I understand the hook here fill a house apply situation and watch results. It just no artistic merit and it is exclusive unlike BigFooty. BigFooty fosters an online community anyone join. Not sure Big Brother has that same merit.

I would argue that BigFooty has more social merit than Big Brother.

You may learn something from the worst movie but fake reality TV? It's a prescribed situation. It's watching psychologically tested different personalities mash together. I would prefer to watch actual reality.

If they stole the premise of the show and don't even pay for it, it is truly horrid.
I understand the hook here fill a house apply situation and watch results. It just no artistic merit and it is exclusive unlike BigFooty. BigFooty fosters an online community anyone join. Not sure Big Brother has that same merit.

You mean a show stole an idea from something before it?
tumblr_mip37miw1U1rmqqbro1_250.gif

You don't watch it so what's the big deal?! I know it's rubbish TV (I'm sure most who watch know it is). The Mrs makes me watch real housewives of beverly hills too, but after a mentally draining day at work I enjoy giving the brain a breather by watching idiots run around gossiping. Good books can wait til before bed.

You don't watch it so move along, otherwise you come off sounding pretentious

Wanted Drew to win, but after he left didn't care which of Tim or Tahan won. I like the housemates that have a bit of fun and muck around in there. Jade was too boring and a bit too much like the 'fun police' for mine, smoking hot though :):thumbsu:

Edit: Except for that mole :confused: haha :p

Don't see the fascination to be honest. I prefer Tahan's looks.

I'd have liked Ben to win. He was good entertainment and is very genuine. The way he reacted to all the cheers says it all really.

Don't see the fascination to be honest. I prefer Tahan's looks.

I'd have liked Ben to win. He was good entertainment and is very genuine. The way he reacted to all the cheers says it all really.

Tahan has a very average face. Boyish almost. (not manish)

I actually found Ben to be very fake and every little quirk was thought out and enhanced. Also seemed to get worse as the series went on. But then again I hated Tim and thought he was an immature spoiled little 'look at me' douche. Wasn't particularly intelligent and only did well by picking on the less able (which was unfortunately most of them).

Tahan has a very average face. Boyish almost. (not manish)

I actually found Ben to be very fake and every little quirk was thought out and enhanced. Also seemed to get worse as the series went on. But then again I hated Tim and thought he was an immature spoiled little 'look at me' douche. Wasn't particularly intelligent and only did well by picking on the less able (which was unfortunately most of them).

Agree, some of the stuff Ben did was put on. Especially after he knew he could get reactions out of people.

One thing I didn't like about Tim was his inability to take a joke. The way he is I thought he'd have the 'water off a ducks back' approach. Instead he cried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, some of the stuff Ben did was put on. Especially after he knew he could get reactions out of people.

One thing I didn't like about Tim was his inability to take a joke. The way he is I thought he'd have the 'water off a ducks back' approach. Instead he cried.

Spot on.

Really disliked Boog and thought she was as unladylike as I've seen but she could take as well as she could give. Tim was living the dream when it was him giving sh!t to the quieter group but then Boog and in turn Drew started giving it to him and all of a sudden 'I miss Mikkayla and the Sugar sisters' dear me. Grow a pair Timothy

Resurrecting an old thread (and an old poster) to say that I work as a sports trainer for Old Mentonians in the VAFA.
Sex Ed, if you ever read this, we're recruiting and I do a good massage!

Resurrecting an old thread (and an old poster) to say that I work as a sports trainer for Old Mentonians in the VAFA.
Sex Ed, if you ever read this, we're recruiting and I do a good massage!
Does Chocolate Quik come with the massage? :stern look

Kate's back, woohoo.

Right suburb, wrong club, Kate. Go Bedas. :thumbsu:

The enemy! Although if working for St Bedes means avoiding Whitefriars, I could be tempted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back