Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
Jackson is a lot flashier but I'm not convinced that he's that far ahead of Haydos. I'll be very interested to compare their stats at the end of this season. And Hayden is indeed much better looking.
I must be watching a different sport if Jackson and McLean are comparable players.

Jackson had double the hitouts and kicked more goals last year.

That isn't a slight on McLean. Jackson is one of the best young players in the entire competition.

I must be watching a different sport if Jackson and McLean are comparable players.

Jackson had double the hitouts and kicked more goals last year.

That isn't a slight on McLean. Jackson is one of the best young players in the entire competition.

Agreed. I love McLean and think he's going to be a very important component of our side over the coming years because, to me, he's got the make-up of not just a reliable performer but a reliable finals performer. You can count on him giving the same effort consistently and doesn't get overawed by what's going on around him, he appears to me. And I reckon he'll be in the leadership group in the next 24 months.

But Jackson is in a different category as a player. He could be the best ruck in the league by the end of 2024. Freo's strategy around him and Darcy is confusing to me, but that's another topic of discussion.

There's always a chance that Jackson just rests on his laurels due to all the early praise in his career and McLean keeps improving because he has a point to prove and gets no recognition from anyone. We've seen so many examples of that with young players.

It wouldn't surprise me because McLean improved every game he played last year. If he keeps working hard, then the sky's the limit.

Last edited:
I really didn't think much of McLean at the beginning of last season, but towards the end he was incredibly reliable. He's the strong FF we need who can clunk a contested mark. I'm not expecting him to be a super star but if he can average 2+ goals a game and a few hitouts he'll be a huuuuuuuuge asset to the club.

I really didn't think much of McLean at the beginning of last season, but towards the end he was incredibly reliable. He's the strong FF we need who can clunk a contested mark. I'm not expecting him to be a super star but if he can average 2+ goals a game and a few hitouts he'll be a huuuuuuuuge asset to the club.
Just to put that in context, 19 players average two goals a game or better in 2023. Almost no player who doubles up as a ruck relief did (with Joe Daniher the possible exception - I don't know how much time he spent in the ruck, but he spent some time there).

The best Swan was Papley, who averaged 1.6 goals a game.

If McLean is to spend a decent chunk of time as back-up ruck, an average of one goal a game on top of that would be a significant and valuable contribution.

If McLean is to spend a decent chunk of time as back-up ruck, an average of one goal a game on top of that would be a significant and valuable contribution.
6 goals a game from a combo of McDonald, Amartey and McLean would go a long way to seeing us win, imo.

6 goals a game from a combo of McDonald, Amartey and McLean would go a long way to seeing us win, imo.
An average of 6 from them, 2 from Papley, 3 from Heeney and Hayward and 3 from others plus a near equal number of behinds would have been the highest points for in 2023.
Handy indeed and feasible.

An average of 6 from them, 2 from Papley, 3 from Heeney and Hayward and 3 from others plus a near equal number of behinds would have been the highest points for in 2023.
Handy indeed and feasible.
I always want 16 goals a game (means 4 behinds are we kick 100).

6 from McDonald, McLean and Amartey
5 from Heeney, Papley, Wicks and Hayward
5 from the mids (Parker, Gulden, Warner, Adams, Campbell, McInerney, Grundy, Rowbottom)

On average gets us there

Any reports about haydos’ tank from this preseason ? Has his speed and agility improved ? Would like to see this improve as well as second efforts to wrap it up in the forward 50.

Wanna see more Nissan Skyline and less B-Double turning circle.

Do this and we will bat deep in the finals.

Do this and I will like him more. Cos in case you weren’t aware, I like fast players.

Any reports about haydos’ tank from this preseason ? Has his speed and agility improved ? Would like to see this improve as well as second efforts to wrap it up in the forward 50.

Wanna see more Nissan Skyline and less B-Double turning circle.

Do this and we will bat deep in the finals.

Do this and I will like him more. Cos in case you weren’t aware, I like fast players.
He is not fast. He is mobile. Change your name or stay out of this slow player thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking his best chances lie in the 'most marks' category rather than 'most goals.'

Both equally important though, particularly with the kind of marks he takes.
Nope most goals. Bookmark it*

*or not. Claims are completely baseless and I expect to be quoted at season's end

Nope most goals. Bookmark it*

*or not. Claims are completely baseless and I expect to be quoted at season's end
I expect Hayden to make a very solid contribution. Play every game, take plenty of marks, kick goals, make assists, hit outs, tackles and one percenters. He may not be top of the list in any single category but when you add it all up it will be plenty of value.

I expect Hayden to make a very solid contribution. Play every game, take plenty of marks, kick goals, make assists, hit outs, tackles and one percenters. He may not be top of the list in any single category but when you add it all up it will be plenty of value.
Deep forward end of the chain. Gulden2McLean. Warner2McLean.

I reckon the fact that he's being outshined by McDonald will work to his advantage. Plus McLean has proven he's Mr reliable. He has a very strong mind compared to someone like wayward Hayward. He just keeps improving which really surprised me last season.

heeney2mclean, mcdonald2mclean. blakey2mclean (particularly on the scg) ... i agree, he will be a regular, effective target
With regular McLean2tap2Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back