Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
This is a good point. And I think White had twice the talent of McLean. But there’s something about McLean’s physicality that suggests to me we should try to retain him.
I’d probably hold onto him if he hasn’t got any takers and if we don’t need list spots. He is a solid backup who gives his all at worst and can play a role when called upon.

I’d probably hold onto him if he hasn’t got any takers and if we don’t need list spots. He is a solid backup who gives his all at worst and can play a role when called upon.
I keep coming back to the big thing being "will the replacement be better than who we have now?" Remember it takes time to settle into a club (Tom Hickey excepted!) and learn about teammates' play and so on.
Hayden is still pretty young for a KPP and will almost certainly improve. I'm pretty sure we're hoping if Paddy McCartin makes it he will be a KPD.
I can see us with Logan, Joel and Hayden being our KPFs in 2023 or at latest 2024.
Much more worried about KPDs. They gave Joel a twirl there but not a great success. Agility an issue with Hayden. Once Ramps goes, oh oh.

If someone else wants him and are prepared to give him game time then we will let him go cheapish.

Reality is how does he get a game next year? Buddy will be around , Logan will play most games you’d think, Amartey has been re-signed and will take Reid’s minutes if he moves on.

Paddy might even be on the list and would have to be considered a better forward option than McLean (who they clearly have no interest in rucking) if we don’t need him down back.

I just don’t really see a spot opening for him and I feel like he isn’t far off his ceiling so is unlikely to push others out.

I don’t see why he would want to wait until he is 24 (he is 23 in January) to find out whether a spot will open up for him then…
Saddle but true...

Mclean looked like the right pick last night.
It's been a slow build with him, improving in small increments as his games numbers increase. Taking some clutch marks and can kick it beautifully

I'd like to see him feature week in, week out next season. There is a lot of upside to him. I felt he was a bit too safe using the ball when he marked it up the ground with his sideways kicks. But if he can provide a contest like he did last night then he deserves to stay in the side? Really prefer him over Reid.

Have been a fan of the kid since he started. He is just a smart footballer. It was not just his marks and leads but his deft taps and knock ons to our advantage that stuck out for me.

Loved his taps over the shoulder when he knew a player was there. Ultra damaging if we can turn marking contests into clean tap work.
and his tap along the ground near the boundary line

I'd like to see him feature week in, week out next season. There is a lot of upside to him. I felt he was a bit too safe using the ball when he marked it up the ground with his sideways kicks. But if he can provide a contest like he did last night then he deserves to stay in the side? Really prefer him over Reid.
If he keeps up the form, sure. McLean had several good games in a row earlier this year. Then he went completely missing / was poor for several weeks before being dropped. His following reserves games weren't brilliant, although the overall quality of our side had something to do with that. Similarly Reid was in great form earlier in the year, got injured (again) and hasn't gotten back into it. Amartey was great at first, then dropped off. McDonald showed some great signs early, and in a few reserves games, surely all things being equal is someone to get games into if earned.

Obviously if McLean plays like he did on the weekend, you don't drop him. That we have several younger talls who might be named Round 1 next year (Amartey, McLean, McDonald) is a positive, but potentially also a problem, given none have yet stamped a place in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's severely underrated by us (fans). I think it would be a huge mistake if we let him go.

Imo, he is made for finals footy and can see him being a really important contributor to us winning a premiership (whether that's in 2021 or beyond). Has that Mike pyke, LRT vibe about him, where you know he'll perform when it matters.

Of the players yet to cement a spot in the best 22, I put him up the list (obviously alongside warner, Campbell & McDonald).

Get it done swans

Swans are recognised as having a very good development system.
Our recent bounce confirms this.
Maclean played very well on the weekend, and tall forwards are hard to come by.
He is out of contract so it is unremarkable that other clubs are interested.

Very impressed with McLean's development this year. He was not out of place at all yesterday. The deft knock-ons and body use in the ruck/aerial contests are more than enough for me to want him here long-term. His turns in the ruck he was competing well and truly with Mumford's bulk. I really hope we retain him and keep giving him opportunities, he has shown that all he needs is opportunity and he won't let us down.

Very impressed with McLean's development this year. He was not out of place at all yesterday. The deft knock-ons and body use in the ruck/aerial contests are more than enough for me to want him here long-term. His turns in the ruck he was competing well and truly with Mumford's bulk. I really hope we retain him and keep giving him opportunities, he has shown that all he needs is opportunity and he won't let us down.

Plus played on for as long as he could through injury. Think it was either hayden or COR (hip) who would be replaced.

Hope Hayden re-signs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back