Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - dropped vs Geelong & misses out again vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

No Thomas this week against the Cats means possibly more midfield minutes for Sleevo?

I've really preferred his midfield run and carry role.
I am not sure what I have missed but why is there no Thomas this week please.

A Collingwood supporter's review of Stevo's game:
watched 5 minutes and he had 3 kicks, turned it over twice and then shirked another contest.

:$ :$ :$

A Collingwood supporter's review of Stevo's game:

:$ :$ :$
The pies can thank their lucky stars that they have been kissed on the d**k with father/sons. A list who are going to finish bottom 3 and are still feeling a cap squeeze even after releasing 3 of their best 18 players. They could still be in for a world of hurt even with Nick Daicos coming through the doors.

No Thomas this week against the Cats means possibly more midfield minutes for Sleevo?

I've really preferred his midfield run and carry role.

Yeah I think it's likely. I do worry that Geelong will be licking their lips as they don't have to worry about both of them & can put more time into Stephenson.

It really is a benefit of having both of them as you can't stop them both. Will be a tough weekend for JS2 me thinks.

Tthis from another Collingwood fan:

Carey actually said during the commentary on the game that he is an extremely selfish player (after he kicked his second I think), and that at any good club wouldn't tolerate a few of the things he was doing. Such as not giving the ball off to players in much better position and trying to kick goals for himself etc.

Dunno if Carey actually said it exactly like that. is it actually true?

I can't speak for everyone, but as one of, if not the most talented player on our list, I want Sleevo to be as selfish as possible, especially If selfishness means 24 and 3 goals every week.

I can't speak for everyone, but as one of, if not the most talented player on our list, I want Sleevo to be as selfish as possible, especially If selfishness means 24 and 3 goals every week.

I can believe renowned sharer and carer Wayne Carey said precisely that.

What a load of crap. My criticism of his lack of pace is based on him not showing it when he has the ball. He is more likely to give it off than try and beat someone.

He's averaging 0.5 goals assists a game, spending time in the midfield and playing in the side coming last. Mr Goal Assist himself is averaging 0.9, in the premiership favorites, playing as a stay at home forward.

What a load of crap. My criticism of his lack of pace is based on him not showing it when he has the ball. He is more likely to give it off than try and beat someone.

He's averaging 0.5 goals assists a game, spending time in the midfield and playing in the side coming last. Mr Goal Assist himself is averaging 0.9, in the premiership favorites, playing as a stay at home forward.

He's a footballer, not an olympic sprinter. You need to get over this obsession with his pace.

There is a metric sh*t of management theory that is all predicated on the idea of trust, vulnerability and psychological safety.

The team in the 90s would have had this, they just did it over drinks in the nightclub after a game. While that part is gone. The premise it is built upon is what makes strong teams strong.

🤣 Now, it’s called “New Ways Of Playing”. Noble’s Plan B makes us “Agile”…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only true goal kicking mids I have personally seen play for us are Shannon Grant, Boomer and a tier below that Higgins. Mids who consistently score and are capable of kicking bags are one of the rarest and most valuable commodities in my opinion.

I can not understate the magnitude of potentially having two of them peak together at the same time. Imagine having prime Shagga and Higgins play together. Fingers crossed Sleevo and Thomas both reach their full potential.

The only true goal kicking mids I have personally seen play for us are Shannon Grant, Boomer and a tier below that Higgins. Mids who consistently score and are capable of kicking bags are one of the rarest and most valuable commodities in my opinion.

I can not understate the magnitude of potentially having two of them peak together at the same time. Imagine having prime Shagga and Higgins play together. Fingers crossed Sleevo and Thomas both reach their full potential.

Getting 2/3/4 goals out of a mid in a game is such a massive bonus. Stephenson and Thomas consistently kicking multiple goals in a game is gonna be the difference in a lot of close games. Love that they both have the confidence to have a ping from 50 instead of a 15m chip to the pocket for a much more difficult set shot.

Aren't you worried that effectively 4 goals are only worth 3 goals because he's not quite fast enough? /s

Isnt slow. Bumped off by Atu in the 3rd qtr Im pretty sure. And consistently in the repeat sprints. kangatime you can be a genuine bunny boiler at times. Obsessed.View attachment 1190102

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
he's not showing it with ball in hand. He got caught again on the weekend

check out 7.17 to go in the 3rd.

Look at the entire game. Sure, runs for the easy option but panics at times ala Ats.

Isnt slow. Bumped off by Atu in the 3rd qtr Im pretty sure. And consistently in the repeat sprints. kangatime you can be a genuine bunny boiler at times. Obsessed.View attachment 1190102

Imagine if Ats just bombed it forward for a 50m turnover instead of just stopping and turning it over.... He'd be faster and better than Saad and the AFL media could gush over him!

We could also then get pick 8 or better in a trade..... Hehe

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look at the entire game. Sure, runs for the easy option but panics at times ala Ats.

Again mate youre obsessed. Fancy coming on his thread to talk about how he isnt showing his pace with the ball in hand and not to talk about his 3 goals 20+ possie game. Youd rather be right and have him be s**t so you can wobble your head on bigfooty than have him be an absolute gun who we picked up for a bargain. Puzzling.

'Runs for the easy option'
'Got caught again on the weekend'

He works his guts out mate and occasionally good or fast players get tackled.

Let. It. Go.

Last edited:

You also used the fact that Jaidyn has never appeared in the top end speed as a justification for his lack of pace. Now there he is and its now never when he has the ball. Entering TZ and Jmac territory here.

You also used the fact that Jaidyn has never appeared in the top end speed as a justification for his lack of pace. Now there he is and its now never when he has the ball. Entering TZ and Jmac territory here.

I was questioning his pace, and used stats to prove it. He has now shown it, once, but lets see it more often.

I came on this thread to say it was crap what Carey was saying about him being selfish. I pointed out he wasn't selfish.

Personally, I'd like him to be more selfish. I want to see him beating players with his pace.

I was listening to triple M and did hear Carey call Stephenson a selfish footballer. It's hard to argue with Carey because he obviously understands the game. Stephenson has time on he's side and as he develops he's game further and the team gets better, I am sure he will improve this side of he's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back