Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Bugsy Malone

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tthis from another Collingwood fan:

Dunno if Carey actually said it exactly like that. is it actually true?

I can't speak for everyone, but as one of, if not the most talented player on our list, I want Sleevo to be as selfish as possible, especially If selfishness means 24 and 3 goals every week.
I was listening to triple M and did hear Carey call Stephenson a selfish footballer. It's hard to argue with Carey because he obviously understands the game. Stephenson has time on he's side and as he develops he's game further and the team gets better, I am sure he will improve this side of he's game.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was listening to triple M and did hear Carey call Stephenson a selfish footballer. It's hard to argue with Carey because he obviously understands the game. Stephenson has time on he's side and as he develops he's game further and the team gets better, I am sure he will improve this side of he's game.

Runs harder than almost anyone else in the side. Carey has had some ridiculous opinions before.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
it was based on a single action where jaydon goaled when carey reckoned the pass was on, never stopped bartlett in 400+ games. besides sometimes you just want a fwd to have goal instrincts first,

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wasn’t great yesterday, but still involved in so many of our scoring chances. Set up Mahoney to Taylor. Set up Thomas to Zurhaar. And plenty more.

Disappointing missed shot on goal. A few broken tackles but also a couple of good ones.

He frustrated me yesterday.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Runs harder than almost anyone else in the side. Carey has had some ridiculous opinions before.

Carey's playing career spoke for itself.

His dabbling in the coaching arena however proves every adage about champion players not necessarily translating to champion coaches.

197ABB57-90D3-49FE-BA6E-8DBCCE4256A4.png

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 19
Avg Disposals: 19.4
Goals: 17
Stats Highlight: Ranked Elite for Metres Gained averaging 356.6m per game

Best Games
Round 17 Vs West Coast - 38 disposals, 10 marks, 1 goal, 4 tackles
Round 19 Vs Carlton - 24 disposals, 8 marks, 3 goals.
Round 1 Vs Port Adelaide - 33 disposals, 5 marks , 7 tackles

Summary

After crossing from Collingwood at the end of the 2020 season, Sleevo entered this year as a bit of an unknown considering his inconsistent output in his previous season. During the pre-season there was talk of him playing more as a genuine midfielder rather than a stay at home forward. The first game of the year gave everyone an insight into his potential impact as a midfielder with 33 disposals. He played some excellent games where he was best afield, while there were others where he drifted in and out of games. Nonetheless his impact was excellent considering it was his first year at the club with a new coach at the helm. He has proven that at his best he is a player that is going to take us to another level in future years. If he can continue to build on this season I think we'll look back on last year's trade as one of the bargains of the decade. In order to take his game to another level, he has to continue to build on his tank and improve his physicality.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
While a valuable forward i much prefer his run through the middle. Maybe he gets more minutes in rotations or just takes a wing, not sure which is better.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 19
Avg Disposals: 19.4
Goals: 17
Stats Highlight: Ranked Elite for Metres Gained averaging 356.6m per game

Best Games

Summary

After crossing from Collingwood at the end of the 2020 season, Sleevo entered this year as a bit of an unknown considering his inconsistent output in his previous season. During the pre-season there was talk of him playing more as a genuine midfielder rather than a stay at home forward. The first game of the year gave everyone an insight into his potential impact as a midfielder with 33 disposals. He played some excellent games where he was best afield, while there were others where he drifted in and out of games. Nonetheless his impact was excellent considering it was his first year at the club with a new coach at the helm. He has proven that at his best he is a player that is going to take us to another level in future years. If he can continue to build on this season I think we'll look back on last year's trade as one of the bargains of the decade. In order to take his game to another level, he has to continue to build on his tank and improve his physicality.

Best Games

This is seriously impressive. Well & truly exceeded my expectations.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we got what we wanted and maybe a bit more.

It was no coincidence that we started to look better when Sleevo went into the middle in the 3rd quarter.

He had his ups and downs, but how could you forget the masterclass he put on against WCE in Perth.

I think he will look even better as we improve as a side and he also matures.

Because of the way he exploded on the scene, people forget he is just a baby in football terms.

I think we got what we wanted and maybe a bit more.

It was no coincidence that we started to look better when Sleevo went into the middle in the 3rd quarter.

He had his ups and downs, but how could you forget the masterclass he put on against WCE in Perth.

I think he will look even better as we improve as a side and he also matures.

Because of the way he exploded on the scene, people forget he is just a baby in football terms.
I like the way he has started really bursting away from packs, even towards defence, to free up options for himself. After the goal he fed Cunners he seems to look to do it more.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like the way he has started really bursting away from packs, even towards defence, to free up options for himself. After the goal he fed Cunners he seems to look to do it more.

Considering how lightly framed he is, he has no worries breaking tackles. His footwork and awareness is criminally underrated. He has a really unique and subtle side step that allows him to find space in a phone box.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While a valuable forward i much prefer his run through the middle. Maybe he gets more minutes in rotations or just takes a wing, not sure which is better.

I think his best position will end up being high half forward/extra mid, with 3-4 minutes spurts through the centre.

A half forward who pushes up into the contest and up around the back flank. Then, once we get a turnover he either plays a role in the link up to the forward line, or he streams forward and provides an option inside 50.

His ceiling is huge, he has the capacity to be a 22/23 disposal 2+ goal per game player. I never thought I’d be saying that after his last season at the Pies.

The Maestro

All Australian
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man United, New York Knicks
Love his creativity and ability to break the lines. At times can get a bit lost up forward, we need him to be in the game as much as possible.

If wing doesn’t work out I think he could be that line-breaking half back who can deliver by foot once Hall retires.

Back