Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The key thing that Noble likes is versatility and I think he definitely sees that in Jaidyn. Having that ability to drop a player into a position that won't hinder their output.

I think Stephenson can do that role really well.

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Do yourself a favour and find out the reasons he was sent packing to North. There were quite a few reasons and Jaidyn knows exactly what they are but you won't hear them from Stephenson and the club don't want to make them public to protect him. And that is apart from his woeful form. Three disposals in his last game pissed me off too.
1606180421544.gif

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Collingwood’s desperation to trade Stephenson related at least in some part to his lack of professionalism in the Magpies hub as he endured a torrid third season.

But Ziebell said he could not fault him when he spent time at the club in his senior TAC Cup year as part of the AFL academy group.

“No one is perfect but (Stephenson) is a serious talent. He can kick serious goals and the way he started last year and the year before, kicking three or four goals in a quarter, if you can do that you have some serious talent,” Ziebell said.

“The boys did a fantastic job convincing him to come across and he actually spent two weeks here four years ago, and he was staying with Sam Wright and he was rapt with him and his training and demeanour. So we couldn’t be happier to land him.”
Will back the captain's judgement on this.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Na, he’s got a heap more talent than LT, just needs to harden up so he can win his own ball.

I think he did that well in 2018.

It's been down since then but reckon we should give him a chance in a new system.

Hopefully sparks the player we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
These days, other than 4 players, the rest are all expected to be midfielders. Even if you are ruck, you are a midfielder.

Stephenson is absolutely a superstar who could run along the wing if not onball.

Under new management, we should overcome the existing mental block in that inside midfielder for today's game are those agile, nimble, fast players who have fast disposal skills while having the ability to take on the opposition. An 'outside' player these days should be player who can readily find space and deliver the ball with exceptionall precision as their no.1 priority.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
if De Goey falls down further, are we willing to entertain having him as a free agent at the end of 2022?

These days, other than 4 players, the rest are all expected to be midfielders. Even if you are ruck, you are a midfielder.

Stephenson is absolutely a superstar who could run along the wing if not onball.

Under new management, we should overcome the existing mental block in that inside midfielder for today's game are those agile, nimble, fast players who have fast disposal skills while having the ability to take on the opposition. An 'outside' player these days should be player who can readily find space and deliver the ball with exceptionall precision as their no.1 priority.
Just quietly, I don't think the club has ever placed a high priority on our inside midfielders being 'agile, nimble, (and) fast'.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just quietly, I don't think the club has ever placed a high priority on our inside midfielders being 'agile, nimble, (and) fast'.

Exactly, our club has always had a fixed mindset about what are 'inside mids'. We have always believed players playing onball must be physically strong, solid, love a bit of rough action, tackle.

Take world war 2 for example. The japanese believed naval superiority came from having bigger and more powerful ship with better trained crew. They largely achieved this in the early 40s until the battle of Midways where the americas due to circumstance proved that strong naval power can also come from having more effective airforce as they could drop torpedoes that could sink ships as the guns on the battleship. This battled ended Battleship as the key plank of a navy fleet.

Now let's get back to football, let's just look at the players we have recuirted for the center square. We got Harris, Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington. All of those players had the attribute of physically strong, love a tackle, love slow going type game style but all had below industrial standard kicking skills. Reality has proven to us that the best inside mids today are players like Cotchin, Pendulbury.

Under new management, we need to create a more dynamic midfield with a diverse mix of players. We got Simpkin the agile, nimble who will be great in close to dance and weave out of the traffic. I don't believe he is exceptionally quick. Simpkin's 'inside midfield' credential is his evasive and laterally stepping skills.

LDU's team is the powerhouse explosive big body who are great at bursting out of a congestion to get the handball or kick. He can be very fast..........in a straight line, he cannot run rings around the opposition player. His 'inside' credential is his explosiveness.

The archtype we are missing is the fast running, take-em-on midfielder. This person is someone who isn't too tall, i.e. around 180 cm. He should be very fast and have the ability to run, carry, turn inside out. I am thinking of Akermanis, Harvey, Wells. I don't think Holland or Phillips is that player and if we are under the old management, phillips will be taken. But under new management, Hollands look to have more upside.

Perhaps later on in the round, i.e. pick 30, there might be an unassming little player who could be trained into a fast runner type if he has the legspeed.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does it come with a day leave pass from prison?

We could certainly do a Marley on him. Marley served us really well during our low times. Do Goey might actually achieve his potential when he is forced to play a blue collar, working class role so that his talent is forced to be on display at all times.

Exactly, our club has always had a fixed mindset about what are 'inside mids'. We have always believed players playing onball must be physically strong, solid, love a bit of rough action, tackle.

Take world war 2 for example. The japanese believed naval superiority came from having bigger and more powerful ship with better trained crew. They largely achieved this in the early 40s until the battle of Midways where the americas due to circumstance proved that strong naval power can also come from having more effective airforce as they could drop torpedoes that could sink ships as the guns on the battleship. This battled ended Battleship as the key plank of a navy fleet.

Now let's get back to football, let's just look at the players we have recuirted for the center square. We got Harris, Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington. All of those players had the attribute of physically strong, love a tackle, love slow going type game style but all had below industrial standard kicking skills. Reality has proven to us that the best inside mids today are players like Cotchin, Pendulbury.

Under new management, we need to create a more dynamic midfield with a diverse mix of players. We got Simpkin the agile, nimble who will be great in close to dance and weave out of the traffic. I don't believe he is exceptionally quick. Simpkin's 'inside midfield' credential is his evasive and laterally stepping skills.

LDU's team is the powerhouse explosive big body who are great at bursting out of a congestion to get the handball or kick. He can be very fast..........in a straight line, he cannot run rings around the opposition player. His 'inside' credential is his explosiveness.

The archtype we are missing is the fast running, take-em-on midfielder. This person is someone who isn't too tall, i.e. around 180 cm. He should be very fast and have the ability to run, carry, turn inside out. I am thinking of Akermanis, Harvey, Wells. I don't think Holland or Phillips is that player and if we are under the old management, phillips will be taken. But under new management, Hollands look to have more upside.

Perhaps later on in the round, i.e. pick 30, there might be an unassming little player who could be trained into a fast runner type if he has the legspeed.
My apologies, I was clearly confused by the post I responded too. Still a tad confused, to be honest.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I'm amateur history lover, history is a way to predict the future.

Can you use Jordan de Goey's history to predict his future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back