Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - dropped vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson is the best recruit we've grabbed in a trade for a long time. Free agency aside (Higgins, Waite), I can't even remember the last time we've done a better trade than this one.

The interesting question is, given he was pick 6 in 2017 draft, he'd be nearly the best player in it, and if so, would he be at the same level if we drafted him originally or is it more to do with Collingwood development program.

I've seen enough of him to know the aforementioned players are more damaging than him with ball in hand.

I think Jy will become a really damaging half forward/midfielder when we are seriously up and going in a few years.

With fairness to Anderson, someone like Powell is going to be on a completely different level to him in a few years.
Jed was arguably our best mid lately but in fairness to Powell he looks like he's going to be on a completely different level to almost everyone in a few years.

I think you know the answer to this.
Ben MacKay, Jed Anderson, JY Simpkin and Nick Larkey all came here as draftees or having done very little. There is also a post on the previous page pointing out the difference between Stephenson at the Pies and here and his seemingly much better form (on a tiny sample size obviously.)

We have an entirely new footy department as well, so even if our development was s**t it shouldn't matter as we go on from here.

Stephenson is the best recruit we've grabbed in a trade for a long time. Free agency aside (Higgins, Waite), I can't even remember the last time we've done a better trade than this one.

The interesting question is, given he was pick 6 in 2017 draft, he'd be nearly the best player in it, and if so, would he be at the same level if we drafted him originally or is it more to do with Collingwood development program.

Back to Grant and Belly probably.

Oh the days when we just went in dry on Fremantle every off season to top up the list....

I reckon our recent drafting/development has been fine. But we're paying for 2018 and prior.
But right now we have picks 4, 6, 11, 23, 62 and 72 from 2017 and all of them except one look like being good players right now. Four of them are getting regular games and there is a chance five could be long term players in our best 30. We could potentially have three from 2016 if Zurhaar comes good.

But right now we have picks 4, 6, 11, 23, 62 and 72 from 2017 and all of them except one look like being good players right now. Four of them are getting regular games and there is a chance five could be long term players in our best 30. We could potentially have three from 2016 if Zurhaar comes good.

We are really paying heavily for drafting from 2011 to 2015. The quantity and quality of 25 to 30-year players at our club that have come through the draft would be the worst of any club. Garner, Dumont, Atley, LMac, and Turner are not an elite bracket by any stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are really paying heavily for drafting from 2011 to 2015. The quantity and quality of 25 to 30-year players at our club that have come through the draft would be the worst of any club. Garner, Dumont, Atley, LMac, and Turner are not an elite bracket by any stretch.

I’m a defender at times but it has to be remembered that for two years we had the equivalent of pick ~40+ as our first pick due to expansion. We then spent the next 2-3 years trying to plug the gaps on field whilst finishing mid table - while those same few clubs again took the top end talent. History says you don’t get a heap of good long term talent - on average - at that level of the draft. It left a hole.

Melting Collingwood supporters in November:

“we don’t need Stephenson anyway, he’s not that good, he’s soft, he’s inconsistent and has terrible attitude problems etc etc”

Melting Collingwood supporters in April:

“if we still had Treloar and Stephenson, we would be undefeated! Don’t forget Stephenson won a rising star!!!“

How good...

JS (22YO 58G) - 1.0 Goal, 2.8 I50, 4.5 Score Involvements, 3.5 Tackles, 2.5 R50, 20.8 Disposals, 65% DE, 5.5 Contested Possessions, 395 Metres Gained, 2.8 Clearances

JDG (25YO 102G) - 1.8 Goal, 2.3 I50, 6.3 Score Involvements, 1.8 Tackles, 0.3 R50, 14.8 Disposals, 54% DE, 5.8 Contested Possessions, 248 Metres Gained, 2.3 Clearances
You shouldn’t tease those less fortunate than yourself

Jeez he's quick.

Runs away from opponents with ease.

Love watching it!!!

Last edited:
Jaidyn Stephenson living rent free in the minds of the Collingwood Faithful since 2020.

Jaidyn Stephenson living rent free in the minds of the Collingwood Faithful since 2020.
I can't blame them for that. Must be infuriating seeing him doing well in a role Bucks refused to play him in, all the while knowing the idiots in charge of your club offloaded him for a packet of twisties.

To the guy on level 2 aisle 41 who kept yelling out "Stephenson doesn't chase, he is lazy"

Where were you in the 3rd quarter?

Sometimes going to the footy is horrendous
I was in aisle 15 with a bloke behind me calling wilba - POWELLY all match. Even after I said dude thats our first pick this year, thats Wilbur.. 2 seconds later POWELLY! 🤦‍♂️

Stepho is bargain of the century!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back