Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - dropped vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Has has an attribute not a lot of our players have. Self belief. That part I thank Collingwood for. He’ll take it on, have the shot at goal when others will look to give it off.
After watching for a few weeks, I wouldn’t want him dishing to anyone but Larkey anyway.

Needs to be harder over the footy but probably going to win our B&F. He's been great but geez are we an ordinary side where someone with such a big flaw could be considered our best.

I reckon he gets an unfair spotlight shone on him in the hardness stakes. Does his fair share of pressuring and tackling, has gone back with the flight many a time for us already. There was one instance last night where one of our board favourites was literally walking 5m behind the ball carrier while Stevo effected and pressured 2-3 players.

Occasionally he's not strong in a 1 on 1 scrap for the ball but I'd suggest that's more so his size rather than intent. I've been pleasantly surprised given everything the Collingwood folks threw at him.

Sublime footballer and only really starting to scratch the surface of how good he could be as a midfielder. Collingwood had the right idea with him starting as a deep forward but for whatever reason never thought to explore him as a midfielder. Turfed him before they could take the next logical step in his development, or wouldn't. Whatever - their loss is our gain

Sublime footballer and only really starting to scratch the surface of how good he could be as a midfielder. Collingwood had the right idea with him starting as a deep forward but for whatever reason never thought to explore him as a midfielder. Turfed him before they could take the next logical step in his development, or wouldn't. Whatever - their loss is our gain

Weird by them. He followed that path well trodden by young mids in starting up forward with a gradual increase in on ball minutes. Collingwood then * him off before they cash in.

Maybe the worm is turning with our list decisions and we’re going to start getting some right. Atu looks like a reasonble cheap pick up as well.

Weird by them. He followed that path well trodden by young mids in starting up forward with a gradual increase in on ball minutes. Collingwood then fu** him off before they cash in.

Maybe the worm is turning with our list decisions and we’re going to start getting some right. Atu looks like a reasonble cheap pick up as well.

All they had to do was put him in the midfielder over s**t trucks like Brayden Sier. Everything would've been fine

May not be the hardest player but love the fact when everyone else plays handball ring-a-ringa-rosie, he backs himself to score and (actually has the ability to finish).

he’s a match winner. A skinny/lightweight but faster version of Jake Stringer

A little inconsistent but that's understandable.

We still made out like lottery winners here.

He's played a lot of footy for his age, but folks still tend to overlook that he's only recently turned 22.

1619311748161.png

How many 22 year olds have already racked up 60 games?

1619311853615.png

I reckon he gets an unfair spotlight shone on him in the hardness stakes. Does his fair share of pressuring and tackling, has gone back with the flight many a time for us already. There was one instance last night where one of our board favourites was literally walking 5m behind the ball carrier while Stevo effected and pressured 2-3 players.

Occasionally he's not strong in a 1 on 1 scrap for the ball but I'd suggest that's more so his size rather than intent. I've been pleasantly surprised given everything the Collingwood folks threw at him.
100% this.

I've seen him force himself to go this year (well that's what I thought from watching,) and thought exactly the same thing.

Needs to be harder over the footy but probably going to win our B&F. He's been great but geez are we an ordinary side where someone with such a big flaw could be considered our best.

He's 78kg's and I doubt he will ever be 85kgs.

Do you think the team benefits if he fights Ollie Wines at 20 centre bounces?

As long as he goes when he has to then that will do.

A little inconsistent but that's understandable.

We still made out like lottery winners here.

He's played a lot of footy for his age, but folks still tend to overlook that he's only recently turned 22.

View attachment 1111082

How many 22 year olds have already racked up 60 games?

View attachment 1111087

I don't know why I'm so surprised about Rayner playing so many games (especially considering he was injured so early this year) but I am.

Also that Tigers kid must either be average or wondering how he got so unlucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why I'm so surprised about Rayner playing so many games (especially considering he was injured so early this year) but I am.

Rayner has been pretty much carried for 30+ of those games, whereas the Freo kids had to play as Lyon did his usual stunt and left the cupboard bare.

Rayner has been pretty much carried for 30+ of those games, whereas the Freo kids had to play as Lyon did his usual stunt and left the cupboard bare.

The funny thing is they've looked a bit lost up forward without him this season, compared to the last couple. He's an example some kids can just learn it all in the AFL instead of the reserves.

The funny thing is they've looked a bit lost up forward without him this season, compared to the last couple. He's an example some kids can just learn it all in the AFL instead of the reserves.

He's an example of a kid that was a running machine the minute he walked in to the door of an AFL club.

I still can't getting over the Pies giving him up, he's only 22 years old

Probably our best value pick up since... I don't even know. Grant? For mine he'd be pretty comfortably in our top 5 players this year, is 22 and we payed very little for him. Absolute bargain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back